Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dunno if this is the right forum, but....

Furious charge is an absolutely awesome skill to take, whether for veterans, and/or Assault/Tactical squads depending on the chapter traits. It means that you will strike first against most troops and rarely need worse than a 3+ to wound. Assault squads are the best candidate for the skill, since they are the fastest movers, and are far more likely to get the charge, but you could try a veteran squad in a rhino or razorback.

FLAMERS! Flamers are normally a bad choice, for tactical squads, since they will not often get close enough to use them. But with an assault squad, this is a different matter. 2 flamers in an assault squad will generally cause a heck of a lot more S4 hits than the extra attack you can get from a plasma pistol, and these hits are automatic. Put it this way, I have killed 4 battle sisters with a flamer shot, before. These weapons are lethal on assault squads, who often get close enough to use them. I highly recommend this option!

The Veil of Time psychic power is a very dangerous thing on a close combat librarian, and so I recommend you choose it and not Might of Heroes, unless you plan to include a chaplain in the same squad, since his rule will fulfill half of the destructive power of the psychic power.

Scout bikers are an interesting option for tank hunting, since they can (I think) take melta bombs. With their scout move, you can kill a tank in this way on the first turn! Beware, Land Raiders!

The Take the Fight to Them trait is a very handy trait. It allows you to take close combat troops as a troop choice, which is useful for both small games, and large games, where the fast attack slots may not be satisfactory. I, myself, always try to use balanced armies with my space marines. I like to be able to utterly destroy my enemy in close combat, but at the same time have plenty of firepower, to take out those damn tanks and very-heavy infantry.

Dreadnoughts, especially venerable, are a great way to use this approach. The basic option, Assault cannon and close combat weapon, allows you to kill plenty of low, and sometimes well, armoured troops, and the close combat weapon means that you will be able to destroy tanks with ease, and give small units of terminators a reason not to charge you, as well as being able to take out enemy leaders with power fists or low initiative before they attack.

·
Hrimfar
525 Posts
Heh, I totally Agree...I play BA and are very used to taking flamers and having furious charge on my assulties. And Iäve used my scoutbikers to take out enemy tanks many times (when they rage, it's even more effective). Last match I blowed my friends cruisader to pieces with them. Got the first turn and raged and all....

Assult Cannons kick ass against tanks! They really do - I have had more luck with them than I've ever had with lascannons.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting... I don't really think Assault Cannons make good tank-hunting weapons, but maybe on lightly armoured tanks, such as transports...

I, myself, have never actually used scout bikers, but I thought I would post that since I think it is a good tactic anyway. I just don't have any of them! :(

·
Registered
648 Posts
dude flamers suck on tactical squads since they can't assault and still fire those bolters but on assault squads its like DEATH FROM ABOVE! seriously....two flamers in a squad can mow down anything with low armor. and then there's the bolt pistol fire and the assault (with furious charge of course if the army has decent Initiative) and maybe a jump pack HQ with power weapons to wreck the heavy armored units.

assault cannons can do some good since they are already S6 and u get 4 (or was it 3) shots. you;re bound to roll a 5 or 6 and at least glance.*depends on tank of course*

I still prefer lascannons though.....mostly because I rather have my dreadnoughts snipe the armor and let my termis with the assault cannons cut a swathe into the enemy troops instead of firing on frontal armor of tanks. but it works in a pinch.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Personally I never like scout bikers, but whatever floats your boat!

Tooled up assault squads are one of my favorite units in all of 40k. Flamers are good, but since I play BA the 3 attacks (on charge) are really needed in the assault, so usually I try to take at least one flamer, but rarely two.

HPA

·
Registered
648 Posts
yah rending gets u at least a penetrating *6+6+next roll*

makes sense, and i think BA get furious charge as part of their abilities so its probably better to go without the flamer since u would do more damage *unless the target has really godlike WS*

·
Registered
184 Posts
Are you sure it is 6+6+ roll, I thought it was 6+ roll + roll

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,148 Posts
No its the Strength plus the 6 you rolled to rend plus one extra dice. So in the case of AC's its at least 12.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Actually, I like flamers in Tactical Squads, as long as they're used with the purpose of close-range firefights. I usually dedicate two Rhino Squads to moving within 12" and opening up with bolters and a flamer. It usually causes a unit to fall back, or charge them with half a squad. Of course, that squad has 'true grit' and has two attacks each. It works well.

·
Hrimfar
525 Posts
It's very effective - even more so than assaulting and getting the +1 attack if your up against enemies with low armourvalue. You will shoot before they can fight and have some ap to take out lght armour. Yeah - I like it. But when it vcomes to powrarmoured oponents - you'll need to bind them up in CC and whait for reinforcments (like an honour guard or some veteran assult marines).

Yeah - rending vs vehicles - if you roll 6's on armour penetration roll one additional dice - it rocks! If you rend - then you pen!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts