Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

ok so i have a friend who plays space marines and was wondering what the best way to assemble a devastator squad was, any one have any suggestions?

and by assembling i mean like which guns to pick not how to glue :rofl

thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dude,

Check out the 1/8 inch rare earth magnets and put one in the end of the arm with another one in the body. Make dure they attract rather than repel. This way, you can use every gun combination on one of the four marines. I have mine done this way, making sure the packs are also magnetized. Polarity must be consistent with each marine and gun/pack so that they are interchangable. Search for other magnet tips in the forum.

·
Set Sail and Conquer!
1,633 Posts
When you are putting together a devastator squad, like with everything else in your army, it needs to have a purpose.

It also helps if the weapons are complementary - lascannons and heavy bolters dont usually tend to be a highly effective combination.

Do you already have a lot of anti tank weaponry in your army? Then take something like 4 heavy bolters, or 2 plasmacannons and 2 heavy bolters, so you can kill infantry hordes or heavy infantry (such as terminators etc...)

If you are lacking in anti tank, maybe go for some missile launchers or lascanons.

If your army already seems balanced, maybe continue that trend and go with something like 4 missile launchers - this is what I use in my Imperial Fists. This way, you can use 4 frags for anti horde, or 4 kraks for anti-tank. (As a bonus, I can take the trait that gives this squad tank hunters too, which makes it a very cost effective unit).

On the other hand, i'd suggest just taking what you think looks cool. This is typically more important anyway! :)

P.S I'm aware that some of the combinations I've provided would require more than 1 devastator box, so these might not help as much. Although, 4 missile launchers is easy if you already have a few tactical squad boxes - you can replace the tac squad heavy weapons with something else from the devastator box.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey, i recently had this problem with my Devvies and although my solution isnt as 'awesome' an idea as putting magnets on ur troops etc but i chose:

Plasma Cannon - Takes out Heavy Infantry relatively easily, small blast radius and can even take out the odd Light/Medium tank ;Y

2 Missile Launchers - As Cadaver Junkie pointed out really, it'll let you take out Armour and can help against Hordes (also useful against Heavy Infantry too i guess :?)

Lascannon - This is for taking out Armour (obviously) and thats its primary job, but like a Krak Missile, it can take out Heavy Infantry and whatnot with almost too much ease :party:

So, Both my Devvies are going to be Equipped like this, Primarily as an Anti-Tank unit in my army (the rest is mainly Anti-Infantry) so ive got a good chance at knocking some Tanks over but if the need arises i have the option of throwing some Templates over my opponents troops :p

Again, this is my option becos im using a Marine Company 1st and foremost, then adding Attachments like Termies and Predators etc, so these guys will be a rather useful Unit in my opinion, though possibly costly :| lol

Hope this Helps/Makes Sense!

Shaabhekh :happy:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Remember not to do a complete Devastator army and like 2 scout marine squads or whatever because

1. Tyranids complain about it

2. Against a Tau Mech Assault it does ok but when the broadsides and commander comes Watch out!

3 Sometimes it might get broing because it is basically find a good spot on the board and roll dice

·
Registered
296 Posts
Dude,

Check out the 1/8 inch rare earth magnets and put one in the end of the arm with another one in the body. Make dure they attract rather than repel.
Seriously, if you're going to do it this way, put magnets in the "shoulder sockets" and back and small magnetic pieces of metal in the arms and back pack. Rare earth magnets don't come cheap, and they are strong enough. Half the price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.