Votes: 10 10.9%
  • Other- who?

Votes: 5 5.4%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Formerly BrotherAzriel
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, just fin my marine force and im comeing over to FB for my next army, im stuck, Dark or high elves but im also seriously tempted to go for the new VC.

Id like your opinions on both, try not to be biast!

cheers!

(ps, to any mod out there if there is a better section for this topic please *boot* it)

·
Advocatus Diaboli
4,571 Posts
It really depends on what you like: Robes or dresses.

I kid ;).

Dark Elves are generally better at a more aggressive, but less reliable, play style than High Elves (Not that HE are shabby at it), while High Elves can work well being more balanced or defensive (particularly with ASF).

Go with the army whose models and background appeal to you the most. That's usually the best choice. But with the new Dark Elf book due towards the end of this year or the start of 2009 at the latest, starting DE right now may not be the best choice.

·
Formerly BrotherAzriel
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had not heard of a new DE book, when did this come about? im worried il end up starting HE and then seeing the new VCand going over!! il wait untill i see the new VC book befor i make a decision to avoid this but im still a bit stuck!

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
I had not heard of a new DE book, when did this come about? im worried il end up starting HE and then seeing the new VCand going over!! il wait untill i see the new VC book befor i make a decision to avoid this but im still a bit stuck!
Erm the DE rumour has been around for a while now. Do you have a local GW? They should have a copy of the book.

Many parts of the book are common knowledge now and are freely available in the rumours section.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I wouldn't go Dark Elves unless you want to wait a long time to win a game = ( IMHO they are a broken civ, and GW needs to fix them (which they will eventually...). The problem is that they still haven't been revamped! They were supposed to be among the first to be revamped but they keep pushing it back further, so I wouldn't count on a DE army winning many games for the time being... I would go HE I think they are fairly balanced and flexible (as far as strategy).

Regards,

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
At the moment I play High Elves as my main army, with several other armies alongside- VC included. A good friend of mine plays DarkElves, so i'm familiar (but not an expert) with the lists.

For playing style, they are all very different from one-another, so it's odd that you're torn between them. I will warn you that all three of them are difficult lists to master, and you're going to get owned a few times before you get the hang of it.

Dark Elves and HighElves are both paper-thin, low-number armies. Their highest toughness generally a 3, DE might have a 4 here or there. Their saves are 5+ on average, so they can't withstand much. However, they are both very elite in different ways.

High Elves have the option to take devastating elite infantry, and can take more Elite choices than any other army. Trouble is, most of their elites are metal and that doesn't look like it's going to change. HighElven magic can shut out most enemies and is on the high-end for destructive capability. Of the 3 armies here, they are the only ones who can take more than just 2lores. Their shooting is also longer range.

The Dark Elves are different from the highelves. The DE style is to get in close to the foe and hack them to bits very quickly. The Dark Elves are the only list you offered that have Cavalry as Core. This means you can make a fully mounted army. Much of the Dark Elf statline focuses on Attacks, Strength, Initiative (although they don't have "always strike first" like HE). They have a darkside appeal, offering brutal, short range shooting and dangerous offensive magic. They are high-end magic, but don't have the same shut-out power that the HighElves have. Dark Elves are actually the most like their WH40K kin, the Dark Eldar. Both are short-range, high-impact, fast armies.

The VC we currently have are pretty good. I'm not sure what the new book has in store. Either way- VC are a SLOW army. They offer you the ability to have A BUNCH of meatshield soldiers on the field. Most of their statlines are very low, zombies, skeletons, and the likes are just HORRIBLE fighters. But they never run away, they actually Scare their enemies, and a Vampire is one of the best fighters in the game. Their magic is dangerous, if only because it lets them raise MORE shoddy fighters. Opponents are often left slugging it out with MASSIVE units of undead that just refuse to stay down, while lone vampires stalk from combat to combat slaughtering tons of troops. The playstyle can go a little stale after a while, basically: you put out your guys, and I'm going to flood the field with mine. Now i move towards you, you have no target but my big units. Ressurect more guys, fight a hopeless combat against your guys, then charge my vampire in to waste you. It's essentially like using a gaurd army, without ANY shooting.

The choice in models and playing style is up to you, remember, balanced High Elves, Aggressive Dark Elves, or Steam-Roller Vampire Counts.
Hope this helps.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Yikes, the good Captain covered a lot of bases.

My thoughts are that I'd wait to see the new VC book, three weeks away now.

Dark Elves were rumored to be next, but now it's been announced that Chaos will come out in May, so who knows when DEs will come. I wouldn't want to play the current DE book as they really suck.

HEs are a great army. It'd be fun.

·
Formerly BrotherAzriel
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, i think il wait and see what the new VC book brings, iv ruled out DE now, its between HE who i like because of the ASF and the fluff behind them, im very much drawn to an army by fluff or the VC because im a horror nut and i freekin love zombie hordes lol.

im reading through the HE army book now and il get VC when its relesed then post my option then!!

Cheers again guys and rep for you CaptainSarathai.

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
Dark elves are coming out this year in the fall most likely. They will get nasty and be a tough army.

VC used to be slow and is a good list as is, but they will become much quicker in the newer book. There are much more vampires in the list and everything can march if within "x" inches of a vampire (more than half the army). They will also have very good magic and some nasty ghoulies. A whole lot of new models as well (something the HE didn't get). They will also get some new cav options ~ so overall, I think they will be a lot faster than we're used to.

HE you sound like you already know a little about. VC has better magic items/weapons, etc. but we've got some good units as well. The ASF is silly I think, but they're still fun to play.

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
Dark elves are coming out this year in the fall most likely. They will get nasty and be a tough army.

VC used to be slow and is a good list as is, but they will become much quicker in the newer book. There are much more vampires in the list and everything can march if within "x" inches of a vampire (more than half the army). They will also have very good magic and some nasty ghoulies. A whole lot of new models as well (something the HE didn't get).
Yes, I am quite tempted by the vampires to tell the truth partly because I've always quite liked them anyway and some of the new models are really nice, but I am determined to resist temptation. Buying yet another army is expensive and I want to save for a Jackson Soloist :p. I want to try to cut my GW purchases down to the odd box or blister, not the huge amounts I seemed to spend every time I walked into a GW for the last few months...

As to the original question it's been covered quite well. I would advise leaving the Druchii until their new book, but in general the advice I always give is to pick the models you love and let that determine the army you choose. It's what I do anyway, since I will be spending a lot of time and money on the models.

·
A legend in my own mind.
1,480 Posts
Asking this kind of question in the high elves section will definatly get a biased answer toward HE,

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
whoa, on the resurrection post!

I thought I had seen this before - back in Feb. apparently.

Actually Hash, having seen the basic rules/stats/magic items, etc of the new book, as a HE player I would encourage the OP to play dark elves. They're book is going to be alot more fun to play than ours. They have about twice the magic items, good, cheap core units. It's easy to to a magic/shooty/combat list and the army list can easily be balanced for all three.

They have lots of monsters too. Their magic phase will be better than ours. The only thing they don't have is ASF, but as most of us have found, that's not the end of the world. Especially since they can shoot the dickens out of anything with a basic, cheap spearman.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Yup- one thing you will learn about HE players is that we aren't as arrogant as the army which we play. High Elves have always been a difficult army to play, and attracted the more experienced/mature gamers. Alot of the guys that are still on here are of the old breed, like myself and Ancalagon, Buckeroo, and GingerNinja.

As to the new DE book- I'm surprised personally. They still can't beat Chaos or VC with any sort of ease, so GW IS backing off the power curve trend of the new books. It looks like they've absolutely set the stage for the next edition though, bringing the Bloodsuckers and Bloodthirsters to the fore. Wonder why- they should have picked Skaven and Beastmen: they're the only 2 armies that are less played! haha. Marketing ploys....

·
Registered
366 Posts
I find it hilarious people here think that the HE require advanced tactical thinking--- I think it is absolutely one of the easiest armies to field in the entire game with the simplest of tactics -- I fought HE with my DE for a very long time and even managed to win, but it was never easy and my opponent didnt even have to try to beat me.

HE need to be nerfed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd say High Elves, but I'm more of a painter than a gamer...

My reason for this is I collect Chaos Marines for 40k and most of the colour schemes involve a lot of black, so you end up just spraying them then only painting the details. I've been looking at Dark Elves and I see a lot of their models are painted black also. So if you spend time and effort painting your army then I suggest going for a colourful army like High Elves... Unless you like lots of dark, depressing colours... :thunder:

·
Registered
70 Posts
you come to a highelf forum section and ask who we recommend XD

i think this poll is bias

high elves still rule :p
Lol... He asked for people's honest opinions though, and some of them might regret starting collecting High Elves and so vote against collecting them, or like Dark Elf miniatures, or collect both.

But I think most people will say High Elves though because most people posting round the High Elves probably like High Elves.

·
Formerly BrotherAzriel
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just so you all know, the WHFB army took a back seat, with all the palava around the SM, i re viseted my own chapter, i have now bought a dragon, chariot and some mages , im ready to rock and roll!

High elves win!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.