Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little question. I heard somwhere that asurmen's defend power can only be used when he's in combat alone. Not when joined in a squad. Is this true?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Untrue. He can use it any time that he is targetted specifically in close combat. . . which would be all the time. Defend on Exarchs is useless because they cannot be specifically targetted unless they are the only model in the squad. However, Asurmen is an independant character and is therefore always targetted separately from any squad he might be attached to.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Yeah, but serious question here, if you were a space marine tac squad, or a massive mob of orks or anything like that, would you attack asurmen, or the farseer and bodyguard he is attached to that are fortuning him. So for asurmen, its 6's to hit, 4's to wound and rerrolable 3+ invunerables, and with the seers, its 4's to hit, 3's to wound (warlocks) and rerrolable 4 invunerables, both are very resiliant but why would you attack asurmen in those circumstances?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Definitely the Farseer. If I could hit Asurmen first and it was somehow critical that he die, I might try to kill him first, but a Phoenix Lord's initiative is kinda hard to beat. Tyranids with the combined benefits of Feeder Tendrils and Implant Attack have very good chances, but in general, the Farseer's a better bet. Killing the Farseer will make one's life easier in the long run, too.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
yah but while your whittling down the seers asurmen is proceeding to demolish any hope ya have of beating him anyway so my advice is to drop a massed fire and ordance on im jus make sure he never reachescombat

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Well, yeah, that much is the standard way of dealing with such units. However, if he does get into combat, one might as well hit the softer targets.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes but any model in base to base with Asurmen must attach him unless they are also in bases to base with another model.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thnks, so defend is über on the asurmen but not that usefull on the dire avengers exarch.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Couple things to note
1- Asurmen is a special character-he may only be taken with opponents permission
2-As stated, the power works well for him since he is an IC
3-The power sucks on DA Exarchs except in the court of the young king if they are the only aspect
4-While beating the squad by killing of warlocks is one way to go, you must also contend with the notion that IF they eldar paid for witchblades or SSs, they are still not negating your armour saves like asurmen is.
5-Killing him will prevent you from losing 2-3 models a turn, killing the warlocks will prevent you from losing 1 model a turn
6-And lastly, it is easier to kill the warlocks and thus sweep the army if you win combat, but with asurmen on their side, it will be a hard fight either way.

mind you, that's if he's in a seer squad, otherwise, hack away the squad and cause him to flee (unless the phoenix lords give fearless to the squads they join, don't recall and am at school) If that's the case, focus on him and him only.

·
Registered
523 Posts
with that defend on the asurmen model I can only hit him on sixes but what if I use a model with gorechild. That says I always hit on 2+. So which is it? Which rule aplies?

·
Registered
199 Posts
in a q&a i think i remember gw saying that you should roll a D6 each combat phase. on a 4+ hit on a 6. on a 3- hit on a 2+.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I'd say that they negate each other and you hit based on weaponskill.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Shas'O RenoSaurus said:
with that defend on the asurmen model I can only hit him on sixes but what if I use a model with gorechild. That says I always hit on 2+. So which is it? Which rule aplies?
I'd agree that ignoring it's effects are the best in this case and have them cancel.
gorechild with 12 attacks (i know, arbitrary number)-w/ 2+ get's 10 hits, with 6+ gets 2+ without ability gets 6 hits.
Either way, it works out to the same as far as averages go.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
depends does asurmen's ability stem from ws cus gorechild would then ignore it but if it is like a doge ability then i'd go on a d6 4,5,6 it's gorechild 123 it's asurmen thart gets his sp rule.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Plague_00 said:
depends does asurmen's ability stem from ws cus gorechild would then ignore it but if it is like a doge ability then i'd go on a d6 4,5,6 it's gorechild 123 it's asurmen thart gets his sp rule.
There is nothing in the game that makes you hit on a 6 based on WS. Not even the avatar, who has the highest weapon skill in the game, is as gifted as a gorechild or asurmen when it comes to hitting or defending.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tarzen said:
There is nothing in the game that makes you hit on a 6 based on WS. Not even the avatar, who has the highest weapon skill in the game, is as gifted as a gorechild or asurmen when it comes to hitting or defending.

I know.

Kind of silly that there isn't an official rule for it. Guess that's because there special characters.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
Would the same rule apply to this gorechild-defend problem as the space wolves wolf tooth necklace. In their faq it says when the WTF vs Defend you roll of each round of combat to see which takes precedence.

Could not a similar thing apply here?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would say thats what happens. The FAQ says you roll a die to see which works each round for WTN vs. Defend. I think this situation should be the same.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
It doesn't change a thing as far as averages go, just means your skewing probablity a bit, but the result is the exact same. 1/2 the time they'll hit on 6's, other half work on 2's. meaning on average4+

1 - 19 of 19 Posts