Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Archons.

I have been toying with some new shiny (albeit forgotten) equipment and I must say I am quite pleased with the results. So without further adieu, clone field usage! thats right, the one piece of wargear that no one takes but everyone wonders about. I have always loved the thought of this piece of equipment, having four exact same Archons attacking a pitiful space marine sergeant and when he strikes out at these Archons all but one disappear and the one remaining has neatly slid his blade through the marines armpit joint and severed the spinal cord and carved through his hearts with the flick of a wrist.

But how do we use them in game? They don't work against shooting attacks, and they are very random. Well, as I said I have been experimenting, and I have come up with this build; Archon w/ Djin blade, haywire, ghostplate, combat drugs, and of course the clone field. Now mind you doesn't seem all the durable but here is the kicker, say we put him in a squad of wyches mounted in a Raider. Now he has a buffer to get him into combat. And if you take a shardnet then the unit is twice as good at hit denial. Okay, yes, he is kinda built for challenges but he can also benefit a unit without challenging. For instance, Archon and his Bi... I mean.. wyches are in charge range of a squad of 20 ork boys without a nob. You declare charge and they score five overwatch wounds on you. Hopefully you were smart and gave the hekatrix a PGL and are in cover, so you get a 4+ cover save. You lost three wyches and made the charge. Since there is no challengee the archon moves into base contact with the boys and rolls his clone field scoring himself 2 clones. Then he swings his Djin around and ends up killing four boyz. After the wyches kill another five the rest pile in and start attacking. And the 11 boyz get their attacks, and only hit nine times. The archon then clones away two of them leaving us with seven hits of which three wound, now the wyches save as normal and we win combat and squish those foul plants under boot when they run.

By having the archon on the front line we are able to negate D3 hits then the rest of the unit takes the brunt of the attack. Mind you this works much better in a challenge where most characters only get three to four attacks. It is true, while not a fullproof plan it can be quite unnerving when an opponents BA challenging character killer of doom losses three of its hits and then doesn't even wound. In fact I used it against a furioso dread with bloodtalons to full effect, stripping it of hull points and hits every round of combat so as to not take a single wound from it and destroy it in his next assault phase.

Oh also side note, the wording just says hits so running a Djin blade is okay because as soon as you roll doubles the clones take the hits instead of the archon.

That is all, hope this inspires some to silly acts of cloning madness with tons of 6th Day Schwarzenegger impressions. Kinda like this.
Mad TV Arnold's clone movie - YouTube

Did anyone pull anything from this? I am not even sure I did.

Quixos

·
Registered
306 Posts
That is an incredibly interesting wargear analysis... must get more coffe to think and brood. Thank you

·
Archite of Caerbannog
1,582 Posts
Strictly speaking of the clone field (and not much else, just the clone field in close combat) I have had positive experiences in my extensive use of Urien Rakkarth. Urien has other attributes which make the clone field ideal (being T5 & and have regeneration) that the normal Archon would not but I can see what you are saying about using it with Archons.

In one of my last games in 5th Urien was able to engage a Necron Lord that had risen and was desperately trying to get back to his own lines and I found Urien in a very favorable position - the Necron Lord could only generate 3 attacks and with Urien's WS the lord was averaging 1 or 2 hits per phase. The Lord was doomed and Urien played with him like a cat with a mouse - Urien just waited for the Lord to fail his 2+ save while the Lord barely killed any of Urien's generated clones. In fact, Urien got into that assault with only 1 wound left but had regenerated to full strength by the end of the game (which unfortunately Urien was engaged in until the end of the game in the 5th turn).

My fear with Archons, in comparison with a dozen games with Urien's clonefield, would be that one hit the clonefield didn't protect you from and that hit being Strength 6 or more (Urien didn't care unless it was a strength 10 hammer and technically even then I don't think he cares much). Now in 5th, I had made some lists with Archons in a squad of bloodbrides or wyches with shardnets and thought the clonefield would definitely thrive here however 6th edition came around before I could give it a try. Now with challenges in the mix, snipers with precision shots and stuff I am not sure how this will do.

I will say that any hammer of wrath hits or smashes against the archon would be nice to just make them disappear but you would definitely need to have a squad that would bubble wrap the archon until he got into close combat and even then you would have to watch out who you accept challenges from.

Also not thinking the Djin blade mechanic is going to work, I haven't thought it through completely but I am not convinced this would work or be evidently clear to my opponent beyond a doubt.

I sure wish they allowed Haemonculi and Succubi to take it - or at least an Ancient Haemonculus.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well with the Djin blade it says " If any double is rolled for these two attacks when rolling to hit, the blade rebels against its wielder - the two attacks automatically hit the bearer" (page 56)

And the clone field says "The result is the number of hits upon the bearer may choose which attacks are nullified."

So in theory, since the Djin blade inflicts automatic hits on the user he can choose to nullify them.

But I agree I wish Ancients could take it too. Honestly if Haemonculi could take the clone fields I would have a lot more in my army.

Quixos

·
Slaaneshi Battle Barge CO
1,508 Posts
If you're going to take the Djinn Blade or pretty much anything that isn't an Agoniser on your Archon, you should consider taking Soul Trap, too.. it will make your challenges progressively easier. And if you're going to take the Djinn Blade, you should look at taking a Blaster, too.. it won't cost you any attacks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well psyan that's not 100% true about taking the blaster, you do lose one attack for not having two close combat weapons. But I can understand the soul trap, the problem there is getting an IC to accept the challenge then.

Quixos

·
Registered
263 Posts
I believe what Psyan is trying to imply with adding the blaster is, when the Djinn Blade is working properly, you are ahead 2 attacks, and if you add the blaster, which would decrease your bonus by 1. If the archon had went with a pistol and D.Blade, he would have 7 attacks before assault, if it was working fine. But If you added the blaster, it would put the Archon at 6 attacks. Now take into consideration that the archon is using an Agoniser and pistol. It would put him at 6 attacks WITH the charge.

Now as for setup, I am not a big fan of the Djinn Blade, just for that simple reason, its gonna bite. This kind of weapon, imo, is more suited for a CSM army. But, this is GW's way of adding some flavor to our newly more balanced DE. In theory, the sequence does seem like it should work, but the downfall is that the D.Blade is diminishing the defense that you are trying to enable to prevent your archon from being insta-gibbed. Albeit, for the points, I'd rather still use a husk blade and soultrap, than the Djinn blade. It would have a better prolonged benefit.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I liked the post. I have been mulling the use of the clone field. But I do think that it is best taken by urien. As Kiwi stated. As for the Djin blade, I do like it instead of a power weapon because of the 2 extra attacks and unlike the vb or the agon it works well with the other drug/pain token bonuses. But it can backfire, and It has when I have run it, luckily it has not shorted out my shadow field... yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts