Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a new player but I don't know anything about space marines in 6th. Please Tell me what I'm doing wrong

HQ
Meph
w/ Honor guard

Troops

10x Assault squad 2x melta

10x Assault squad 2x melta

6x Death company
w/ Lemartes

Elites

Furioso Dread w/ Blood talons

2x Priest w/ power fist or sword

Heavy

2x Storm Raven

Basically I would like a list that doesn't completely suck while having some fun fluff in there, since I'm obviously a nerd. I figure the stormravens can drop off meph the dred and the death company while the assault squads run around with the priests. Pretty sure the total comes out to 1750.
All suggestions much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Are these the models you have or is it a concept list?

Meph w/ Honor guard
Just checking, but you know he isn't an independent character? I'm also curious why you're using Honor Guard with no upgrades.

I think you're relying too heavily on Storm Ravens. Thanks to certain armies/players spamming fliers, building a large list around two aircraft is very risky. Besides, the units you'd have on the table would be impotent until their arrival. I also see an overemphasis on close combat at the expense of ranged fire support... not optimal in 6e.

If you want to use a lot of jump infantry then you might use a Land Raider instead of a Storm Raven to deliver the DeathCo. (A regular Chaplain is adequate but you'll need powered weapons for the grunts. Assault Termiantors would be fluffy for BA, too.) In addition to its transport and fire support functions, the LR's mass can shield jump infantry from an enemy gunline's LOS. This is a big deal right now. Jump infantry became amazing for a time after 6e arrived but, now, the formula for easy victory has shifted from close combat to mass dakka. And plasma guns over meltaguns. I still use one jump squad regularly, as a midfield troubleshooter for a Pod list, but as a theme it's a handicap.

So, the easiest update to 6e would be trading one SR for a Land Raider. You can keep the DC in the SR or retool them for the LR. If you do the former then Mephiston should probably go, as the Storm Raven is our only non-dedicated transport. (Although he could fly behind the Land Raider, too.) Probably drop the Furioso or Honor guard if there's a point deficit and then pick a Tactical or Scout squad for defensive use.

The next way to update the list, which might be more competitive but involves bigger changes, is to use both Storm Ravens as dedicated gunships. The DC should be dropped and Meph/honor guard traded for a cheaper HQ (or possibly Sanguinor). Then put the Furioso in a Drop Pod (the frag cannon is excellent this way) and add some Razorbacks and/or Rhinos. You can probably keep both ASM if you run min/maxed Razors and a really cheap HQ. (A librarian with Divination is cheap and powerful, and Tycho is a strong generalist.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the quick reply. I did not realize the independent character thing, so thanks for the clarification as well as the rest of your feedback. It all made sense. My friends and I have access to a lot of stuff with our collective collections so getting models isn't a huge deal. I just picked stuff that sounded interesting. Ok so how about this:

HQ
Death Company Tycho 175

Troops
3x Tactical Squad (10 models each)
Plasma Gun, Plasma Cannon 585

2x Death Company (6 models)
Power Weapons 210

Elites
Fragioso w/ Pod 160

2x Priest
Power Swords 130

Heavy
Land Raider 250

DC in the Raider which can also block los on the tactical squads who hang out with the priests. Drop the Pod and shoot a bunch of stuff while the DC runs around with Tycho. Come out to about 1510, the people I play with are fairly casual. I'd also be interested in doing a variation of this list with one of the higher cost HQs. What are your thoughts on these guys? Sanguinor and Meph seem like they'd be really good for the whole dueling thing, as well as just rocking face in general. The fact that they can't join a group is annoying, though I guess it wouldn't be too much different than when I played necrons and had C'tan running around. Especially if he can hide behind the tank. I'm just not sure if they're worth it at the 1500 level. Dante seems good if I wanted to take The sanguinary guard as troops, which I don't really since their cost is so high. Astorath does interest me a lot with the red thirst bonus, now that fearless is doesn't have the negative effect, along with the DC limit removal. Though he does strike at I1, but is that even a big deal, since he can join a group. So many choices I guess. Thoughts? Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
442 Posts
DC Tycho also can't join a squad, he's not a independent character either. Also, you list is kinda static, except for one vehicle first turn, which even if it is a land raider will draw all the anti-tank aggro. I usually never go with one vehicle in a sit and shoot army, and the frag/furioso/pod, while good can't be relied upon to split fire and doesn't really add anything to your over strategy. Also, no anit-air at all, which is kinda necessary like it or not in 6th a storm talon or two might be nice instead of the priests and pod.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
I would replace DC Tycho with a Reclusiarch to go with the DeathCo (who should be fielded as a single squad... no Astorath). Note that BA Land Raiders are only available as dedicated transports, not heavy slots. In fact, the only non-dedicated BA transport is the Storm Raven... a big drawback for DC Tycho and Mephiston. Is that the standard Land Raider? Use 9 DeathCo with one powerfist in it. That's about the same points and, against anything but Terminators, the Chappie's buff is all you generally need.

Then, drop one Tactical Squad to afford Razorbacks for the other two. That'll give you mobility, combat-squad options and even a little anti-air. If you're playing with friends then anti-air might not be a serious issue anyway. Friends don't field multiple Heldrakes.

Alternatively, drop the Priests for a couple Razors. The whole point of DeathCo is they have the buffs already and combat squads don't have the bodycount to be worth buffing.

My Drop list likes Astorath because I don't have room to field Priests in my Pods. When your guys already have Furious charge, however, he isn't that valuable. Unwieldy is a bad thing for an expensive character with neither artificer armor, high toughness nor Eternal Warrior. I've actually started using Captain Tycho because he's the only character in the BA Codex who both has high initiative and ignores armor saves (without an actual AP value. Very rare in this edition).

the frag/furioso/pod, while good can't be relied upon to split fire and doesn't really add anything to your over strategy
Pod Furiosos are an excellent way to distract the enemy from your advancing line. You don't want the enemy to have nothing to worry about except the big, loaded Land Raider. It's also a good way to nail First Blood, either with a grapple Furi or a Fragioso with heavy flamer. And the Pod, carefully placed, provides cover for your advance.

I'd also be interested in doing a variation of this list with one of the higher cost HQs.
Okay, try this one.

xxx Sanguinor

xxx Chaplain

240 Assault squad x10, plasma gun x2, Rhino
240 same
190 Tactical Squad, plasma gun, lascannon

455 DeathCo x9, powerfist, Land Raider

??? Whirlwind (points allowing)
??? sergeant upgrades (point filler. Remember Sangy buffs a random sergeant!)

1500 points, more or less. I'm writing this from memory. The Rhino squads take the vanguard on Turn 1, moving flat out with smoke, with the Land Raider behind. The LR may need to shoot more than move at the beginning and may need to cover the defensive Tactical Squad from deepstrikers. Turn 2, the Assault squads are in the enemy's face. Deepstrike Sanguinor near any unit about to charge to employ his aura. (The only two ways the enemy can prevent a Turn 2 charge is either wiping out the Rhino & passengers entirely or refusing to destroy a Rhino in the first place.) On subsequent turns, the Land Raider and Sanguinor make their own charges. The Tac Squad and Whirlwind provide covering fire. The Whirly is great against non-MEQs in this edition. I gave the Tac Squad a lascannon over the plasma cannon because you need to kill enemy transports quickly. There's nothing worse than wasting a buffed charge on a Chimera or something.

The Assault squads have plasma guns because you don't want them voluntarily exiting the Rhino. You want the enemy to kill the Rhino so the Marines can charge next turn and good dakka is a way of ensuring it. Meltaguns are viable, too, but I'd avoid flamers here because the Marines might be taking a lot of snap shots.

I wouldn't call this a competitive list; few lists are that use scoring troops as frontline cannon fodder. You might bleed out but it'll be a fun, blood-crazed game! And that's what BA is all about.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright! Hey guys thanks for the replies, I'll try it. I'm not super competitive with friends but I do play at the shop sometimes so I'll see how things go. Appreciate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts