Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I Expect the Inquisition
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to preface this with saying, I'm not posting to whine or moan. I'm actually not sure how I feel right now.

I went to Games Day Baltimore for the first time in almost a decade. Actually, it might very well be the 10th anniversary of my last trip. I had a good time, but it was also a day of BEAUTIFUL weather in a lovely location. Meaning, I'd have enjoyed myself even if I'd been attending a boring class.

At Games Day itself I met some cool folks. I had a chance to chat with other gamers, especially when I was in line (Hello New Hampshire!).

That being said, I spent most of Games Day in line. I went straight to Forgeworld when the gates opened and was finally all checked out near 1pm. Thanks to that I missed the Black Library seminar, although I did make up for that by getting to talk to the gents directly at the book signing.

I also spent something like 30 minutes in line to see the Golden Demon entries. Beautiful stuff there, I even got to chat with a couple of the artists.

One surprise for me was the absence of the old Scenario gaming tables. When I used to attend regularly, there were dozens of tables where you get to control a squad or two on a very VERY nice table and try out other armies. That was all gone. Apparently this was replaced by gaming clubs setting up their own gaming.

Now, I didn't actually bring my army so gaming was out of the question, but I'm not really sure how one would even go about getting a game on the open tables. Since I spent the first 3 hours of the day in line, maybe I missed signups?

So though I enjoyed myself, I can't say it was the kind of experience I'd drag my friends to. There was plenty of opportunity to spend money, and some of the club displays were awesome and inspiring (which was a major goal for me, getting some inspiration).

Actually, one gripe is that even at the seminar they were still being closed-lipped about even what the NEXT 40k Codex will be. It made it seem like they really aren't certain what they are going to do next. Just vague references to the fact that there were many last minute changes to what they COULDN'T say made it all seem very vague.

Once I unpack my camera I'll post up some pics... Actually, on that note. The lighting was horrible there. Maybe that was one reason it felt weird. The dim, gray fluorescent light just didn't do any of the models or displays anything like justice.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Excellent post! Thanks for the pics - nice mini shots too - funny that happy holidays mini :) Looked (and sounded) like it was packed with people! Nice to see the hobby doing well. Would be fun to see a big event like this.

·
I Expect the Inquisition
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know, I didn't realize that Squig was a cake. Ah well.

---------- Post added at 16:13 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

Hmmm, BoLs is missing a lot of the costumes (Of which I took no pictures)
One that is really missing is the Commissar chick. She was rather breathtaking. In fact, I was in conversation with a certain GW Personality (name withheld to protect the guilty) and he suddenly stopped talking while looking over my shoulder. The other GW Personalty standing next to him smirked and said "Noticed the Lady Comissar, have you?"

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
ReckLessFable, sounds liek a recognisable situation: it seems you had a different memory of how it was or the whole affair was just less than it used to be!

You may have gotten to old for it as well, sounds stupid, but people change, and perhaps you changed away from this kind of experience?

Personally, i'd hate it at a big convention like this, so many people! :O

·
I Expect the Inquisition
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You do make a valid point, and to an extent, that is part of it. I also realized that the whole thing lacked that "Trade Show" feel. They had nothing, zip, NADA relating to Planetstrike. I mean, Gamesday France had something, but this Games Day was really just about completely fan driven.

They weren't even allowed to talk about anything beyond Planetstrike, and that had very few details. I mean, not even WHAT they were releasing in a general sense. Maybe it was a sign of a reorg of their plans for the summer, but they really seemed directionless and vague.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts