·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I learned;
---------------
1st game, vs ogres
---------------
My Ironbreakers kill a unit of bulls. They also hold their own, only losing 2 of their numbers against 10 blunderbuss-wielding ogres (2 units of 5 each). They also get to charge the flank of some bulls as they try to get to my anvil.

Slayers, these guys pretty much sucked, although they did do some neat damage when 3 blunderbuss ogres exploded from misfires.

Organ Gun, this one cost me a whopping 140 points, I finally manuever it into
a clear shot at some gnoblers ont he 6th turn, it misfires and explodes, the game ended with me 70 points ahead, so if I even just hadn't fired the gun, I would have won and not tied by 10 points.
---------------
2nd game, vs orcs & goblins
---------------
Slayers, I discovered that slayers are NOT skirmishers. They got 1 shotted by a fanatic.

Ironbreakers, they lasted two turns in cc against a giant, his general, a large unit of biguns, as well as 2 fanatics.

Thunderers & crossbow-dwarves, these guys were awesome, sadly they only killed a couple goblins, I actually ended that game with 0 points I believe.

Organ Gun, killed 4 goblins, not bad, but not good either

Game ended after the two hour time limit ended and we were on turn 3
---------------
3rd game, vs Dark Elves
---------------
I really enjoyed this one, even though I lost my entire army and earned about 500 points.

Slayers, my slayer hero did some damage, killed 10 elite troops before they took him down.

Ironbreakers, they lasted 2 turns against his general-lord riding a giant black dragon, a noble riding a pegasus, an elite unit and a troop unit.

Organ Gun & Thunderers, these guys working together ALMOST took down his dragon (5 out of 6 wounds), so I enjoyed these guys quite a bit.

Crossbow-dwarves, these guys took out one of his siege machines in the first turn, that was awesome.

Anvil guards, these guys as well as my runelord killed a unit of 5 cavalry that reached them in the 2nd turn, without losing a single unit to them.

What I learned:

I love shooting stuff, going to build a shooter-heavy army for the 3500 point army coming in april.

I was WAY too anti-magic. Dwarves have a ton of stuff built in anyways, so the magic res (2) I gave to my Ironbreakers felt like a waste, as well as a ton of other bonuses I gave my guys. I'll save this list if I ever go up against high-elves though.

I learned to never EVER try to attack with Dwarves, or at least wait for the other side to get remotely close to you before you do.

·
Registered
428 Posts
---------------
1st game, vs ogres
---------------

My Ironbreakers kill a unit of bulls. They also hold their own, only losing 2 of their numbers against 10 blunderbuss-wielding ogres (2 units of 5 each). They also get to charge the flank of some bulls as they try to get to my anvil.

---------------
2nd game, vs orcs & goblins
---------------

Ironbreakers, they lasted two turns in cc against a giant, his general, a large unit of biguns, as well as 2 fanatics.

---------------
3rd game, vs Dark Elves
---------------

Ironbreakers, they lasted 2 turns against his general-lord riding a giant black dragon, a noble riding a pegasus, an elite unit and a troop unit.

I learned to never EVER try to attack with Dwarves, or at least wait for the other side to get remotely close to you before you do.
Moral of the story, Ironbreakers kick some! Ahem. Attacking with dwarves can work perfectly well, you just need to go all out offence to reduce chances of getting flanked etc.

·
The Pacifist Wargamer
1,512 Posts
I was WAY too anti-magic. Dwarves have a ton of stuff built in anyways, so the magic res (2) I gave to my Ironbreakers felt like a waste, as well as a ton of other bonuses I gave my guys. I'll save this list if I ever go up against high-elves though.

Generally, all you need is a Runesmith with the MR.Balance and a Spellbreaker. Combined with the Dwarfs' natural anti-magic tendencies, that's enough against all but the most magical enemies.

As for not attacking with Dwarfs, that depends on what you bring to the field. I play practically all Infantry, with very few shooting units or Warmachines, so I pretty much have to attack, unless I want to see how well the enemy can outmaneuver me and how well my guys fight when they've been flank-charged. While ranged Dwarfs are great, they're not the be-all to end all.

Try keeping the Anvil, but replacing everything else with big blocks of Dwarf infantry. You'll find they're as fast as anything and pretty effective to boot.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I feel your pain about the exploding Organ Gun costing you a win. I've had that happen, and the equally iritating Anvil explode on the last turn when I wasted it going for a few easy points.
I have since learnt that when shooting in Turn 6 anything that might explode only fires if I can't win without it.

I've found that the Organ gun earns a lot of it's points by taking enemy fire, and scaring enemy units away from a flank so I don't feel I have to shoot every turn to get my points worth.
I ended up swapping my 2nd Organ Gun for a Flame Cannon in my 2k list specifically so I had something worth shooting at cheap troops.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.