Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a balanced list than has maneuverability and staying power for a decently competitive all-comers list. The idea is that the immortals, overlords and destrotecks anchor the force (with a veil despairteck as a strategic wildcard), the anni barges and destroyers pack a punch, and the stalker and gauss tomb blades can root out any vehicles on the way.

-------------------------------HQ-----------------------------------

x1 Necron Overlord (265pts)

Resurrection Orb, Sempiternal Weave, Staff of Light

Royal Court (130pts)

x1 Harbinger of Despair
Abyssal Staff, Veil of Darkness
x2 Harbinger of Destruction
Eldritch Lance

---------------------Elites----------------------

x1 Triarch Stalker
Heat Ray

-------------------Troops---------------------

x10 Immortals
Tesla Carbine

x10 Immortals
Tesla Carbine

x10 Necron Warriors
x1 Ghost Ark

---------------------Fast Attack--------------------

x4 Destroyers
Gauss Cannon

4x Tomb Blades
Gauss Blasters

4x Tomb Blades
Gauss Blasters

--------------------Heavy Support-----------------

x1 Annihilation Barge (90pts)
Gauss Cannon, Twin-Linked Tesla Destructor

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm also considering an alternative list that uses more units reputable for being vicious like Deathmarks and Wraiths. The Wraiths can act as my crowbar to pry any unlucky units out of combat, while the deathmarks can help take out anything too monstrous:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------HQ----------------------

x1 Destroyer Lord (265pts)
Warscythe, Sempiternal Weave, Mindshackle Scarabs

x10 Deathmarks

x10 Immortals
Gauss

x10 Immortals
Gauss

x10 Necron Warriors
x1 Ghost Ark

x4 Destroyers
Gauss Cannon

x3 Wraiths
1 set of whip coils

x3 Wraiths
1 set of whip coils

·
Double Clutching Weasel
3,279 Posts
Your second list is the stronger of the two, as it incorporates more of the "best priced" options. Since you're asking about competitive, I'll give the following tidbits. Take what you will. ;)

-Tomb Blades are a hard unit to use effectively, as while they have the mobility, they tend not to have the hitting power to do much damage when they get where they're going. You're using them right, though, by keeping them cheap. At that cost, they work out well enough for a harassment unit to hopefully distract your opponent from real threats.

-A veil.tek is generally best with deathmarks, as their "2+ to wound" applies to the entire unit. So the veil.tek is actually hitting with an AP1 flamer that is wounding on 2's. You can wipe out whole termie squads with that. The best delivery method is to put them all in a nightscythe (5 deathmark minimum squad for the 2+ to wound buff, veil.tek or 2 for the ap1 flamer) so that you can precision drop them. When you deep strike, you're actually likely to scatter quite a bit, so it can be hard to place that template just right to maximize your damage. Right now, I'm not sure where he's going.

-Immortals are, more or less, just marines, and will take a lot of losses in walking across the board. There's a lot of ap2 weaponry out there, and nothing to really protect them. I like nightscythe delivery, but it's not necessary. The 24" on tesla makes them effective all the way out to their maximum range (contrary to gauss which is much better within the 12" double-tap range). Just try to keep them in cover if you're keeping them on foot.

-Destroyers are great in a heavy marine meta (or any meta that's rife with 3+ saves), but it's pretty weak everywhere else. Best way to use these guys is to deep strike them on a flank, so that they can get an alpha strike against rear armour or unprotected shooty units (like dev's or dark reapers).

Just some thoughts to get you started and start a discussion. Welcome to the Red Harvest. ;)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Hmm. Immortals can still make use of Scythes, but you don't seem very interested in that.
When it comes to the second list, at least group the Wraiths together, and make the Deathmarks separate squads. Destroyers are also a unit where you're running mac of a weapon or go home. So add in another if you can.
I also kinda disagree with the assessment on Destroyers only being good against Marines; they're at least better than Rubrics when it comes to that stuff, and PE means hits land and kill.

I would try some concoction of the two lists actually. I could help further with that but I'm on my phone. When I get to a computer or my tablet I'll see to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is some awesome advice! Thank so much for the detailed feedback. I also read through the Red Harvest tactics stuff and was floored by how much detail goes into each unit. I must still be thinking of destroyers in the old format as long range fire support; seeing as how they've changed deep striking is a great idea. With this new combined list Deathmarks are with a Despairteck and Lord are in a nightscythe for maximum firepower. Other Despairteck would go with the warrior unit to again get that perfect template shot up close.

My only concern now is anti-armour firepower. The warriors could potentially rapid fire or use the flayer array to Gauss vehicles on the way, and if the Annihilation barges get hooped they could use their Gauss cannons too. Maybe my best bet is deep striking the Destroyers on rear armour and pray? All in all, do you think that is enough to get by, and if not, what do you suggest as being the best options for filling that role if the Stalker is not particularly threatening?

-------------------------------HQ-----------------------------------

x1 Necron Overlord
Resurrection Orb, Sempiternal Weave, Staff of Light

Royal Court
x1 Harbinger of Despair
Abyssal Staff

x1 Harbinger of Despair
Abyssal Staff

x7 Deathmarks
x1 Nightscythe

x10 Immortals
Tesla Carbine

x10 Immortals
Tesla Carbine

x9 Necron Warriors
x1 Ghost Ark

x4 Destroyers
Gauss Cannon

x4 Tomb Blades
Gauss Blasters

x4 Tomb Blades
Gauss Blasters

x1 Annihilation Barge

x1 Annihilation Barge

·
Double Clutching Weasel
3,279 Posts
It takes roughly 9 gauss shots to strip away a hull point. So just keep that in mind. If you're really worried about anti-armour, the best go-to is a storm.tek, usually with 5 warriors in a ghost ark or a nightscythe (depending if you want to do drive-by's or precision air-drops).

The things is: Tesla Desctructors will handle most all the anti-tank you need. They are high strength (str 7), high volume (due to twin-linking and tesla rule, they average 6 hits per volley, IIRC) weapons. So your annihilation barges and nightscythes will be able to reliably destroy any vehicles up and including AV13, just by whittling down hullpoints. On this same token, they are also decent at anti-air (one successful snap-shot on a flyer means 3 str7 hits to roll to pen with). So, in general, the rest of your army can usually handle outlier situations (that odd Land Raider with AV14) with whatever normal gauss you bring (a land raider takes 36 gauss shots to kill, which is two 10 man warrior squads).

On a list-build note: I prefer to have tesla cannons on my annihilation barges, due to them not being Fast vehicles. If you move your annihilation barge (and you should always move your barge to get your jink save), you will only be able to shoot one weapon at full BS. If you shoot your Tesla Destructor at full BS (because it's your most damaging gun), that means you're snap shooting your cannon. If you have a tesla cannon, that makes every hit into 3 hits (tesla rule), at a similar strength and AP as your main gun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.