Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys.

As my first official post, I thought i'd do something a bit instructive. Not sure where I saw this but I feel it's worth sharing.

To make accurate (and a pointy too, careful!) barbed wire you will need a thin gauge wire, clippers and a paintbrush or skewer.

Take your thin wire, which needs to be thin enough to tie a knot in, but not too thin so that it looks insubstantial. Cut three equal lengths of wire and tie them at one end. Now tie a knot in the wire approximately every centimeter along the length of the wire.

This is where the paintbrush or skewer comes in handy. Once you've formed a knot, use the end of the stick to tighten the knot around exactly where you need it, guiding it in to place as often the knot will move about as you tighten it.

At this point you have a length of 3 strand wire with a bunch of knots in it. Use something pointy to separate one strand of wire from the other two between each knot. You just want to bend it upward so you can get at it with the clippers.

Once this is done, clip the separated wire about 1 to 2 mm from each knot, so the knot forms the barbs.

It's a bit painstaking, but easy to do when i'm sitting watching TV, and once it's done, curl it around a thick pencil or pen and you have instant (and slightly dangerous) barbed wire coil!

Here are some pictures for your delectation.

and one on a miniature (next to a scratchbuilt power saw for my killa kan)

Hope this is handy to you guys out there and that you've enjoyed my firkst post. May there be many more to come (I hope, i'm kinda lazy)

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
Although it is accustomed here to make the first post in the Welcome Forums ;) it is always nice to see a new person posting so great ideas!

Although the word barb wire makes me think of Pamela... I will surely try the idea out. + rep! ;Y

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
GW also makes barbed wire, it doesn't look as good as this and i found out through a mate who works on a boat that kind of wire is used on ships and in other engineering places :S

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
Yeah and I saw in a documentary about the First World War that the first barbed wire was made with this technique with the only difference they used thicker gauge wire! ;)

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
HAHAH I just made a small length of barbed wire that took forever to make because of the way I did it.
Using a long length for the base of the wire, I tied tiny sections of wire around the main wire, which was terribly annoying and time consuming for such a tiny detail that no one will notice... but it was a fun experiment.
Good work dude, I'll try this next time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What a kool 1st post....I will try this out at my next modelling session as I have an Ork Battlewagon that might benefit from barbed wire let aalone using it on my terrain 8Y

Great pics...xcellent base work and what is that custom build with the gear wheel? :?

·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, it's a powersaw for a killer kan i'm scratch building.

The wheel part is from a Bricanyl asthma inhaler, it's the gauge that tells you how much is left. The black piece of plastic is a sprue part from a Stikfas toy Stikfas II Products

and the rest is made from plasticard, tubing, sprue bits and some pre-cast hex-nuts with pokey-outy-bits that are for gundam kit builders. These things are awesome. You get 78 variously sized bits on a sprue for about 168 yen (about $1.60 Aus or Can) You might have a hell of a time finding them outside of Japan tho.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.