Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost out of my initial purchase of pricey GW primer. I want to buy some black primer that is cheaper for both my models and I am starting my first set of terrain.

I have searched this site and apologies if this is already covered.

1 - What properties are required for a priming paint in black? Can I just use enamel spraypaint or do I need something like latex or acrylic???

2 - Should I use different paint for the terrain and models? Most of the stuff I see on line for the terrain base is just standard black latex paint in a can.

Regards

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
I think you should spend some extra bucks on the base-spray for your minis, but when it comes to terrain... just be happy as long as it's cheap and durable.
I make rather detailed terrain but I still use whatever I can find. Acrylic paint on a tube works well enough, water it down and you'll have enough to build a couple of towns:)

Then the finer the details get, the thinner the base should be and when you paint it, it's the same. Use some cheap (though blendable) paint for the big thingies, but better paint for the details.

·
Thread Killer!
2,642 Posts
Do not get enamel based primer. Acrylics won't stick to it properly. Just about all hobby/craft paint is acrylic. I want to say only Testor's is enamel but there are probably others out there as well. The big ones like GW paint and vallejo are acrylic though.

I would go with an acrylic or latex primer. Krylon makes an ok one. Definitely good for priming terrain. Just remember if you are spraying pink/blue board or other styrafome you need to seal it first before using a spray or it will eat up the material.

Cheers,

-Mike

·
Thread Killer!
2,642 Posts
Watered down white glue (PVA) works quite well. Usually any brush on primer will work. It is the aerosol in the spray cans that eats it away.

Cheers,

-Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.