Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am relatively new to Fantasy(Well experienced in 40k) and I have a question about combat resolution. When do I count ranks and outnumbering for the combat resolution? Is it before any blows are struck, or after normal wounds and armor saves have been taken?

On page 72, Fig.1, it says that the Orcs have a +2 from their extra ranks(15 models, 5 by 3), yet they have lost 4 Orcs before hand. This would mean if you counted the extra rank after the wounds are taken, they would only have gotten a +1? Later on in the example, it the rulebook says that the Orcs' unit strength is 11, which outnumbers the Knights' unit strength of 10. Does this mean that you count the ranks before any wounds have been struck, and the outnumbering afterwards?

·
Registered
482 Posts
What about if a unit had for instance flanked a unit, hence negating it's ranks, and at the end of combat no longer had a units strength of 5+? Would they get the ranks back seeing as unit strenght is calculated at the end of combat, or would they still lose their rank bonus?

·
Tabletop Terraformer
1,405 Posts
Yep, strewart's right, since ranks are counted before a fight starts, if they are lost because of a unit with US5 or more flank charging, then the ranks aren't regained if the flanking unit subsequently falls below 5+ US. The flanking unit wouldn't get the +1 for a flank charge of course, but the loss of rank bonus to the flanked unit remains (until the next round of combat, if the flanked unit is still around for that!)

·
Registered
106 Posts
What about units lapping round? I always thought that as long as the entire unit is US 5+, lapping round models would remove rank bonus. Someone just told me today that there's been some kind of new ruling that states that to remove rank bonus, you need a whole new unit, and so lapping round only gives the flank bonus and gets more models in HtH. True?

·
Registered
70 Posts
page 78 BRB. Second paragraph, last sentence. Lapping round does not negate rank bonuses.

·
Tabletop Terraformer
1,405 Posts
Keilah said:
What about units lapping round? I always thought that as long as the entire unit is US 5+, lapping round models would remove rank bonus.
No, Rhinosaur's right, it doesn't remove rank bonuses, it only gives the lapping unit the +1 for attacking the flank of the enemy unit (and the extra attacks of course, but that also means more enemy models can attack your unit too!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts