Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I love the basilisk, and have always used them in pairs. that way even on a 4X4 table they can cover each other. However, when you take one the dynamics change. with that in mind I have a couple of questions:

1)is the basilisk worth taking if you only take one?
2)is indirect fire worth its points?(aka do you take it?)
3)is the minimum range restriction too restrictive? (aka should it be smaller...18"-24" instead of 36")

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
The few extra points to make the Bassie fire indirect are well worth it. It turns a mediocre tank into a monster.

The minimum range can be a bit tricky especially if you only field one. If you take two Bassies you can place one in each corner and in that way negate the minimum range by covering that area with the other Earthshaker.

Bassies rock:)

·
709 Posts
To answer the first question,

This seems to be a resounding yes from everyone who uses it. You can shoot hiding units while protecting your more fragile tank.

For question 2,

What a lof ot players suggest doing is taking two and putting them at opposite sides of the diployment zone. This way each basilisk can fire into the other's minimum range bubble. Also, only take indirect fire on a 6'x4' board or bigger. 4'x4' is too small. One basilisk isn't bad if you're deploying in a corner backs you can stick it on the back edge. If anything gets inside your 36', you'll be covered by your line squads.

Basilisks seem to be popular against tau and eldar, armies that rely on their ability to hide behind things and pop out at the last second. Indirect fire neutralizes that advantage.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I think that Bassies especially benefit from the rule of 2's, but that doesn't mean you can't take just one. You could, but it is probably not going to be as useful. If given the choice between taking one basilisk with Indirect Fire or anything else, I'd probably go field another Hellhound.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Read the rules carefully!!!!!

- First of all its a basilisk, one is more than enough to cause your enemy a world of pain

- Second, YES TAKE INDIRECT FIRE!!!!!!

- Lastly, minimum range only counts if you fire it indirect so once they get closer than 36 inches move it out of cover 6inches and continue blasting

IF YOU DO NOT BELIEVE ME CHECK THE CODEX!!!!

Page 49 of codex imperial guard, and i QUOTE!!!

"The earth shaker crew may be trained to fire their artillery gun indirectly at targets that it cannot draw a line of sight to. IF fired this way, the earth shaker is treated as a barrage (ie, guess range) weapon with a minimum range of 36" and a maximum range of 260"."

SO YOU CAN FIRE IT EITHER WAY, so i say what range restriction

·
Treadhead with a Chainaxe
1,805 Posts
I find that the greatest strength of a basilisk is the fear it instills into your opponent. He can no longer hide behind buildings and won't dare to clump his units together out of LOS from your other weapons. Alot of people I play also purposly abandon half of their deployment zone just to keep as many of their models within the basilisk's minimum range - thus letting you deploy tons of stuff in the opposite corner of your basilisk far away from alot of nasty units and when that happends, the basilisk doesn't need to kill anything - it's still made it's points back.

EDIT: Another trick with using a basilisk is to take another vehicle with it - such as an Imperial Armour Trojan. On it's own, it's not very impressive, being little more than a chimera armoured heavy bolter, give it a smoke launcher and you've got a 48p mobile wall to part next to your basilisk incase there's not enough terrain to hide it - then when the enemy gets too close to your basilisk, continue to move your trojan to shield it from harm or tankshock your opponent with it(though you might want to get extra armour for in aswell if you're going to do that).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
- First of all its a basilisk, one is more than enough to cause your enemy a world of pain

- Second, YES TAKE INDIRECT FIRE!!!!!!

- Lastly, minimum range only counts if you fire it indirect so once they get closer than 36 inches move it out of cover 6inches and continue blasting

IF YOU DO NOT BELIEVE ME CHECK THE CODEX!!!!

Page 49 of codex imperial guard, and i QUOTE!!!

"The earth shaker crew may be trained to fire their artillery gun indirectly at targets that it cannot draw a line of sight to. IF fired this way, the earth shaker is treated as a barrage (ie, guess range) weapon with a minimum range of 36" and a maximum range of 260"."

SO YOU CAN FIRE IT EITHER WAY, so i say what range restriction

If I gave you the impression that I was ignorant to any of these facts, I apologize as I clearly misled you in my line of questioning. At no point did I intend to indicate that I believed that the indirect fire rule was an all or nothing rule. As such I will restate my issue...

...Having played for several years with a rather standard stand and shoot style list, which included two basilisks, I have decided to try a mechanized list. As such, I will be dropping one basilisk for two demolishers. The question is, is it worth taking a basilisk at all if I only take one (since basilisks really should be taken in two's), and is it worth taking indirect fire if you do take only one. In my opinion, indirect fire should have been a standard feature for the basilisk when it was first introduced...a long time ago...

In sum, I am asking people what their experience has been, what they feel works or doesn't work, and not to simply give useless comments like READ THE CODEX.

·
Registered
67 Posts
In answer to your questions:

I take a bassie and a demolisher in my 1500pts list, and though the basilisk is very unreliable when it comes to killing stuff, i wouldnt drop it for one second. Its cheap for what you get, and provides a way to take out pesky crisis suits and other things. It also offers a lot of deployment advantages, due to the indirect fire. Quite often i find myself placing a basilisk on one flank and the demolisher on the other, giving me a huge ammount of firepower on a single flank, while looking like ive got an even spread. I can cover the basilisks side with support weapons and mortars.
Also, dont forget that the baslisk can simply move out one turn and blast a close range enemy into oblivion. Many are the surprised opponents who thought their assault marines were safe, only for the bassie to wheel out and pump a shell into them at point blank range.

Many of the basilisks edges come from its indirect fire, and i wouldnt leave home without it. As for comments about the min range, i find them to mostly be overstated. I plan around those 36", and instead consider the advantage that i can attack my right flank with a vehicle on the left. Based on enemy deployment i will find a way to cover enemies attacking the basilisks side, either by refusing the flank or providing other support.

In fact id go as far as to say that in the 1500pts level i use it at, id rather have one basilisk than 2. A single 125pt investment pays itself off in deployment and preassure on the enemy for the most part, without having to kill so much. When you pay 250pts your starting to restrict the budget on the rest of your army, and start relying on basilisks to kill stuff. And that is quite a dangerous position to be in, because indirect fire ordanance is anything but reliable.

·
Registered
762 Posts
A bassilisk should ALWAYS have indirect fire... it is just to weak to use purposely as a normal tank those extra XX points will make the first XXX points you payed MUCH more effective

Bassilisk is like cowbell... always need more, and the more you have the better. Sure you could field one and it will be effective... or you could field 2 and it will be more effective... or you could just field 3 and have your opponets sing sweet swiss cheese

36 inches is not really a problem. you usually get at least 2 turns to hit and then you can still use a bass as a GREAT lureing device. Many people will devote lots of points to take out a pretty cheap tank. the enemy charges with a 200 point unit to take out a XXX point tank and you can take out the enemy squad with a few line squads rapid fireing. This just made your bassilisk 200 points ontop of whatever it did the past few turns

8Y

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
edit: whoops, yea 36", even then all that dead space should be well covered by the firepower of the rest of your army.

used take only one in 1k games and at most two at and after 1500. lately though i've been trying to steer away from considering taking them just as i don't see them as being fluffy for my army lists; basilisks are meant to be nowhere near the frontline or dmz so i've just been maxing out on russ/demo's lately. i'd consider maybe an option for calling in a basilisk barrage similiar to the orbital strike DH get. but in my fluff, the basilisks are kept in the rear with the gear and not rolling around out on patrol

·
Registered
668 Posts
the way i see it, ok so the minimum range of that indirect is 24" which in the least is your table quarter... you gotta think though, how much of that corner is filled with your crazy infantry and your basilisk is of course deployed in the very corner, on the far side of that infantry and some tanks maybe and their forces. so of course one is alright
Actually the minimum range is 36".

In any case, I don't think that two basilisks would be as effective in a mechanized list, much less just one. If you're playing a static gunline, you'll be able to count on several shots from your basilisks because you know exactly where your guys will be, and you'll know exactly where the enemy will be. In a mech list, you're hopefully advancing your infantry, otherwise you just have a static list with chimeras, thus limiting the time your bassies have to shoot. In my mind, a mech list is good at overwhelming your enemy's anti-tank capabilities, either he shoots at your chimeras and bites a pie plate, or he shoots your Russes and takes a million lasgun shots. If you take a basilisk in this list, it seems to cut down on that mobile firepower. That's why I'd either take a hellhound or another Russ over a basilisk in this situation.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
Bassies are NAILS!!!!!;Y

I always take one, even in my Grenadiers/Mech list. In my infanty heavy lists, I do the duelling Bassie in opposite corners. I always try and have a regular Russ in front of one of them and good cover or even a Chimera in front of the other. With this appoach, no enemy unit is safe anywhere unless they have 2+ saves!

As Kaiser said it's best stength is making the the enemy General change his plans. With the duelling Bassies you can force the enemy to you, and make him come into some heavy assed IG fire power.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.