Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i get the idea as to why make bases look good, but other then the plain sand dirt and snow why? I know it looks good and makes the model stand out, but other then just staying in one spot for model purposes, it looks dumb. Like my friend built a tree by his base and i find it really annoying that the stupid tree follows him around the battle feild.

whats ur guys stand on it?

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
I think it looks nice and gives the model more "feel" to it. What looks better: A model standing on (what looks like) actual ground, or a model standing on a chunk of black plastic? It adds some more character.

I do have to agree though, the base can look out of place sometimes, like a snowy base on a desert table, or jungle in urban terrain.
As for the tree, I guess that situation is a bit unusual. Most people tend to only put larger things like that on their display models.

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
Stugg, could you please (re?)acquaint yourself with the forum rules re: Language...

Find out more *here*! Specifically Rule 8.

It just makes everyones lives easier. Especially mine, as I don't really want to have to start editing posts just so they are readable, and it kinda seems like the painting forum is heading that way at the moment...

...And onto the question.
As far as I'm concerned, a base can do many things.
It can (at it's simplest) give a model something to stand on. Sounds stupid huh? Seriously, look at any model with any kind of basing, then at an equally well painted model without. Which one looks better?

Slightly more complicated, you can use it to make models stand out. Your space marine captain would look way more heroic leaping, lightning claws flashing, from an ancient and ruined marble pillar; at least, more heroic than he would strolling across the ground checking his in-built chronometer...

You can use them to theme an army. You've got an army you want to look melancholy? Ruined city-scapes all round, baby. Hows about a Nid army with horrific new organisms bursting from the ground as the hive fleet pushes the planet's eco-system into overdrive?

Finally, how about using them to tell a story, or continuing a theme? A Wood Elf army will look pretty tasty painted up in autumnal colours, with dead leaves on the ground, scattered over dead beastmen...

At the end of the day, it's really up to you. If you don't want to base, don't. However, a final thought that I always like bear in mind:
If you have a based model, sure, it may look out-of-place on a different table; but a model on a primed black base? Looks out of place everywhere.

-t.

·
Registered
905 Posts
There's an art to it -- making a base that's not too audacious or flashy, and one that complements the model at the same time. The model should always be the main feature of the base, and the thing that gets noticed first... and then afterward you should go "whoa, cool base."

I think something like a tree would be a little too much, yeah. But stuff like IG weapons teams hiding behind a pile of rubble, or Penitent Engines stepping over twisted ruins, all looks fine and generally fits in with the theme.

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
I find that a base is there to complement the model. I sometimes do extra stuff on the bases of my models just to make the more interesting or sometimes because it fits with the model. I have a Carnifex with acid maw and I gouged out some trenches in his base. I then filled them in with PVA and painted it green. The idea is that the Carnifex is drooling it's acid everywhere and it's melting holes in the ground.

I also have a Malanthrope with lots of body parts from the Zombie sprue on the base. This works as the Malanthrope follows the main assault and eats up the dead and dying. I think if you want to make a base fit in you should also consider it's rim not just what's on it. If the rim is painted graveyard earth it will fit in with most types of terrain and graveyard earth is a very neutral colour. I personally paint mine black as I want my Tyranids to look like alien invaders and stand out.:party:8X

·
Registered
52 Posts
I guess it depends on what you're looking to do. In my gaming group there are about half of us who put a lot of time and effort into our models and others who don't. I'm not saying that those who don't are stupid or anything, just that they tend to be more focused on actually playing.

I spend minimum 1.5 hours on each model, and on vehicles and character this can be as much as 10 hours. Obviously if you put that much time in the model the base should at least be paid a little mind to... otherwise it brings down the whole look of the fig.

-Razal19

·
351 Posts
I just base so it looks like my gaming table, and that there's a ring of color around the model, like a video game. Or is a video game like a model base...? I'm confused, but thats all I do.

·
Scenery Shogun
917 Posts
THe way I see it is similar to many posters before me.

When you buy minis....do you purchase the bases seperately? No they come with them.
Why? because they're part of the model.

not painting the base (even a simple green) is like not painting the arms TO ME.

I wouldn't feel right going to a comp with NOTHING on the bases. I've even see people paint two yellow lines on their black bases (like mini is in the street. it worked for his city fight IG) it's cheap, it's fast,but at least it shows you mean to have the mini "finished". (you put forth 'some" effort for the base.)

a simple rock/sand base is totally fine. trees....over the top. tell your friend to make a pretty seperate "objective marker" with the flora if the tree bothers you.(it would bother me too, especially in assaults, trying to grab out spikey gaunts or GSers.)

boiled down= plain bases is like an unfinished mini.

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
I don't like putting anything fancy on bases, I like them to look annonymous but to compliment the figure. Quite bright and nothing distinctive, the furthest I'll go is small rocks (on the whole army or nothing) or bits of debris. (I have a minotaur with a plank on his base) The rim is important too, my skaven have brown, beastmen black and dwarfs green; again to compliment the figure but not to distract any attention.

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
I just picked 1 type of environment for both my 40k and fantasy models, all fantasy models are mounted on grassy plains (well they will be once i finish 'em :p ) and all my 40k armies are standing on rubble like they are in a destroyed city, but i agree, it sometimes looks weird when you have a huge difference between playing surface and modelbase.

·
The Biker Marine
1,618 Posts
Nah - I always think of the bases as representation of your army's "home world". They are important for showing all the figures as a coherent army (especially if you do not play Marines and each one of your guys does not look like the one next to him. Duh! I myself play Necrons among others......). The can also add another color to your scheme.

Plus - a lot of tournaments require your army to be based in uniform way.........

·
Registered
16 Posts
At the end of the day, it's really up to you. If you don't want to base, don't. However, a final thought that I always like bear in mind:
If you have a based model, sure, it may look out-of-place on a different table; but a model on a primed black base? Looks out of place everywhere.

-t.
And there, ladies and gentlemen, is it in a nutshell. Besides, I also agree that the base is part of the model - in many armies the part that ultimately ties it all together. Failing to put the last bit of effort in that is required to produce a clean, decent looking base is the same as failing to paint the model's armour - it just makes it look unfinished and amateuristic in my opinion, especially when you consider how easy putting a layer of sand on a base is.

As for the issue regarding complex bases, I don't really have an issue with them. Sure, a character mounted on a piece of cork or pile of skulls three inches high looks stupid, but if it fits the character then I say go for it. I, for example, would have no problem with someone modelling a tree on their Wardancer lord's base, even going as far as to have the dancer leaping off the tree. It suits the character and is done realistically. I find it hard to take the people who complain about base features having to be 'carried' or 'moved' around the battlefield - miniatures are an abstract representation and having modelled features on a base is no different to having a motionless miniature in terms of its effect on realism.

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
It's also a great way to bring uniformity to your army, it ties the army more together, almost as much as the same color scheme for the model itself does! ;Y

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
It's also

It's also really easy. I think that a lot of oflks perhaps overestimate how much time and effort they need to put in to their basing. I start with the base on many of the models I work on. I find that a couple of layers of highlighting takes just a few minutes to do and really helps create a finished feel for a model even while you are just working on the base coat. If you build and paint an army at a time like I me then you can mass produce your bases all at once which means that you can be super efficient.

The process I normally use goes like this.

Assmble the miniature.
Glue to the base.
Glue, sand and rubble mix to base with PVA glue.
Spray undercoat the model.
Drybrush the sand. Use the colours you wish.
Highlight the sand with two or three stages of dry-brushing.
Paint on any little details, like colouring in a piece of paper of a bit of dropped equipment.
Paint the sides of the base cleanly to give a crisp sides and top effect.

Now your model is ready to be painted. It will also look pretty good once it is base coated too...

·
Oberstleutnant
293 Posts
base

I like a nice base, especially on a display piece. As for an army, if the pieces are going to have a nice base, it needs to follow a common theme for the entire army.

As for the comment about an unpainted base is like leaving an arm unpainted, I disagree. What I hate is when people 'paint' their bases one colour of green or brown and say it's done. If you're going to paint the base, either do it properly or don't do it at all. At least a plain black base takes (or gives) nothing to the mini and, being unthemed, fits into any tabletop game. A badly painted base looks like crap and takes everything away from the mini. So either do it well or not at all.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nah - I always think of the bases as representation of your army's "home world". They are important for showing all the figures as a coherent army (especially if you do not play Marines and each one of your guys does not look like the one next to him. Duh! I myself play Necrons among others......). The can also add another color to your scheme.

Plus - a lot of tournaments require your army to be based in uniform way.........
That is how I see it. In my fluff my chapter is from an ice world. So of course all my bases are snow bases!

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
I am working on an Escher gang atm, and everyone will have a mostly iron base, so large iron plates, all rusty with some ash gravel around them. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.