Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,

I am thinking of creating a sort of Authoritarian feel to a base for my Tau. Kind of like within the themes of like Ivory Towers, Forbidden Knowledge in libraries, stuff like that.

I was thinking of something like a paved base, with gold outlines, but I am rather new to this so I am not sure.

I did a bit of searching around too, and I thought that a pavement/tile kinda design seems to fit the theme, so I was thinking of either:

Dysartes.com
or
Back To Bases 3 :: Protectorate Basing - BrushThralls.com

Do let me know if you think of any other color schemes or patterns!

Thanks for the help!

Thanks!

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
I don't like the sound of the gold, a bit of a golden brown may well work though.

·
Borderlands addict
971 Posts
If you are wanting paved bases then I think the first guide is pretty much spot on for what you want. The second guide, in my opinion, seems to look like dried/cracked mud surfaces and not pave stones.
As Walex said, a light goldish brown would be better than actual gold as it might look a bit too off.
Hope this helps!

:happy:

P.S. If you do try out sculpting the bases, why don't you put some pics up for us to look at :p

EDIT: Found some examples of various bases. I'm afraid they're not too specific to what you want, but I hope they inspire you.
Warhammer 40,000 - Dark Angels
Warhammer 40,000 - Dark Angels
Warhammer 40,000 - Scenery and Terrain

·
Chilli Fueled Heretic
5,839 Posts
Hi there. I have had an iron warriors army on the go for sometime now, i spend alot of time on the bases and it becomes a little tiresome sometimes making bases before minitures. If you wish to make fully sculped bases, id suggest making three different ones and then making three sets of green stuff stampers to make it quicker to do your bases. Simply press wet green stuff into the dryed greenstuff base, wait for it to dry then remove.

Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Walex - yea, true, gold might seem a bit too 'out there'

blackadder - thanks for the advice. yup, i'll definitely post it up when I get it done. Though you should not be expecting too much, cause the only experience I have so far is painting a few squads of Blood Angels.

danjones87 - oh yea! that is an excellent suggestion! That would surely save a lot of time, though I do not really get the idea of how the stamper would work. does this mean that I have to carve out the stamper on the opposite way I want it to turn out?

·
Chilli Fueled Heretic
5,839 Posts
danjones87 - oh yea! that is an excellent suggestion! That would surely save a lot of time, though I do not really get the idea of how the stamper would work. does this mean that I have to carve out the stamper on the opposite way I want it to turn out?
No. What you need to do is make your base out of greenstuff in the normal way. Now you have your 'cobbled street' base.

Now what you need to do is get a decent amount of greenstuff and press it into the top of your completed base and wait for it to dry.

Once its dry gently pull it away, it should come away in one piece, this should then be a nice 'negative' as such of your base. Now when this is pressed into wet greenstuff it will create an exact copy of the first base.

Attaching the stamper to a large lid or another similar item will make stamping easier.

**Remeber to use plenty of water as this will help the two surfaces stay seperate and make sure they dont stick together.**

Dan

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
If you're making enough of them you may even want to grab a bottle of latex and some ultrafine plaster from the model train shop. Will save you a fair bit of time and probably be more consistent than stamping GS for something as large as a base.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts