Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I finally decided on a theme for my IG: German, WWII-era military. With that in mind, It's a bit of a hybrid list, having the majority mechanized with a dash of footslogging and static gun enplacements. I've pretty much worked out the mechanized and footslogging platoon out, but I'm stuck on what to choose for my heavy support aside from two Demolishers. My first thoughts were Griffons, as they easilly throw down semi-accurate templates onto the board and cover my Chimera advance. But I was also thinking of using Hydras for some anti-speeder/bike capability. However, my platoon and Sentinels already have autcannons, so it just might be redundant taking Hydras.

My second thought is what kind of appearance my IG should have. I'm planning on leaving the shoulder pads off and either cutting off the excess on the helmet, or using different heads altogether. I'm not real sure if I want greatcoats or not; I suppose it depends on the fluff I'm making for the army and/or the theme of the gameboard I'm assembling. I've considered using the Steel Legion minis, but they're not worth the extra money I'm throwing at GW for them, plus, I'd have to do some converting, thinning my wallet out even more. Any ideas on the infantry?

As for the vehicles, I think I'm painting them grey, or maybe some tan/green/brown camo they used back then. Again, it depends on the fluff and the gameboard. I have some neat ideas for combining WWII models with GW models, especially artillery. Any thoughts?

Sorry this post is so large! I just have a lot of things to say!

·
Registered
181 Posts
you could try bartertown, that is where i got my Valhallans for a good price many moons ago. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Meh, I'm not really buying minis from other games or GW minis at a lower price or anything like that. I'm just curious about how I could make my army's list and appearance look more like my chosen theme through conversions and/or WWII kits.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Meh, I'm not really buying minis from other games or GW minis at a lower price or anything like that. I'm just curious about how I could make my army's list and appearance look more like my chosen theme through conversions and/or WWII kits.
Um, by converting them and using WWII kits?

Nothing in the GW line is particularly Wehrmacht-ish. If you want WWI Germans you can check out the Death Korps of Krieg and various bits over at Forge World. Pig Iron Productions also sells several different types of replacement heads. The GW plastic Cadians all have the shoulder pads integrated into the arms. So no mater what you do there's going to be lots of cutting, filing, and greenstuff in your future. If you want authentic tanks, prepare to kitbash models and learn the fine art of modeling with plasticard.

·
Mr Commisar to you
2,885 Posts
I used a whermacht colour scheme on one of my battalions and it turned out quite well even without much converting (built up my bassie to look like a Hummel style vehicle). Infantry wisei just used an early war colour scheme and used the darker helmet colour on the rest of the armour as well. You could try out a wermacht organisation to help you out a little.

As for more in depth conversion carving off shoulder pads is a mission and the arms still look a little odd. Perhaps try using catachans and greenstuff to create rolled up sleeves (see Italian and Greek campaign Germans for ideas especially the para regiments) this is slightly easier. Other than that tank commander bodies are good and some of the command sprue stuff is quite useful. Your main problem will be the armour on cadians so unless you just use an apt paint scheme for the infantry like I did then you will have lots of problems.

As already mentioned look at pig iron stuff for heads should help out a bit. Check out my wip
thread and the link in it to my photobucket account for helpful ideas.

Hope that helps good luck!

A

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took a look at your WIP thread, and I must say, I really like the Chimera with the side skirts! Any particular way you attached them?
I think I'll paint most of my infantry like this:
http://www.zeugmeisterei.com/cms/en/uploadfiles/pictures//2802_131541_Startseite-Elite-ZM.jpg
(Pic is from a WWII reenactment, I believe)

Wonder if I can model or replace the lasguns with MP 44s or Mausers? It'd take some work, but I'm sure it could be done.
For the sake of simplicity, I'll keep the shoulderpads on and use them to designate platoons, squads, ect.
I could also model those potato masher grenades and use PAK 40 model guns for autocannons in my squads. Say... could panzerfausts represent meltaguns? Sure, they use entirely different types of projectiles , but they're both basically effective, short-ranged, anti-tank weapons.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The Camo and uniforms really depend on what theater of WWII and climate you want to do.

I would use a more Modern Camo that ties back to German WWII uniforms, but gives that more advanced look, like this pattern:
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/atacs-11x111.jpg
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/atacs-0001-1.jpg

And for heavy support you could go with a Basilisk conversion kit(idk if you would actaully be able to use this in a game as its a stationary emplacement)
Earthshaker Platform as it looks sort of like a Flak 88

Im not to sure about tanks though, the only thing i can think of is using a forge world tank converting it a little and you have a make shift Panther.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.