Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the fighters, Bombers and assault boat ordnance i've seen pictures of have been based on the square plastic warhammer fantasy bases. I want to try and put my FW Thunderhawks ( when they arrive ) on the small circular flyer bases for conformity and appearance. Does anyone know if this would be ok or game legal ? Thanks in advance for any advice, and rep if you have a picture of someone whose done it !

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just recieved them, and i have to be fair, the Thunderhawks are brilliant little models. I recommend them very highly, the photo on the FW site does not do them justice.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Damn you! I was just contemplating another Forge World order, and now you go and say this making me want Thunderhawks. How many packs did you get? and Have you started painting yet?

On Topic I found this but it's not quite what you are looking for, http://www.portmaw.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?26981

Back off topic, but If I was to do a new forgeworld order, do you think I should go, 3xGladius or a Grey knight strike Cruiser? or both? and then maybe some T-Hawks we will see.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its compulsive impulsive purchasing sorry. Ordered three packs for thirty Thunderhawks but only one was in the pack. A quick phone call sorted that. FW has got good, less than a week order to delivery.

Got to finish painting my model for the "secret santa" project organised by Kuffy, then its onto my marine fleet. Loaded the camera software onto the home pc, which is back on the internet now, so photos will be posted someday. Liked your colour scheme for the imperial fleet. I'm starting to get pulled by the Adeptus mechanicus ships

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well, Ive seen someone base his fighters/bombers... on round bases... A pic was somwhere on www.epic40k.co.uk, gothicomp I think, though no idea which year... hope this helps a bit.

Reactions: praxis

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found them, thankyou. Rep. Those were based on round 40k figure bases, But i want to put mine on the clear plastic flying bases. As the rules state that ordnance boats of all kinds can turn in any direction in their movement phase, i cant see a problem, but so long as i hang on to some of the ordinary markers in case of complaints.....

Tonight my fleet will get its first introduction to paint.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Id like to note that its generally better to have bases that are 40mm square (ie, 10x40 or 20x20) for reasons of fairness. A fighterwave thats so much larger than standard can kill more bombers... And it gets unwieldy.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks, leaning that way now. The Forgeworld Thunderhawks come with black plastic mounting bases 10mm x 40mm, with circular indents for five craft. Thinking about how to mount them, the clear plastic stems from the flying bases are an option.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forget the flying base stem idea. Together, the Thunderhawks and stems are too wide. Back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Result. Two squadrons assembled and i'm happy with the look. I turned the 40mm by 10mm forgeworld bases over, and glued one clear plastic flying stem, with the locating shafts filed flat, dead centre. Once dry, superglued a Thunderhawk to that. Then i took two more stems, either shorter or longer but identical, and glued on the hawks, then glued the stems to the base. They look like a wave, they look level, and the hawks are not touching each other when the bases are.

Thanks to all the posters for hints and rule clarifications. It took me a month but i got there !

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That cut me to the bone. I love looking at other peoples armies and fleets, and i bought a good camera solely to post pics here. I SWEAR i will get some pics up soon, my son is home from uni, he can help me with the tech stuff that old men like me have trouble with. Rep for kicking me in the ass to do something.

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
That cut me to the bone. I love looking at other peoples armies and fleets, and i bought a good camera solely to post pics here. I SWEAR i will get some pics up soon, my son is home from uni, he can help me with the tech stuff that old men like me have trouble with. Rep for kicking me in the ass to do something.
...You're... Welcome? I think?:S:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.