Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The scenario for this battle is from a really, really old white dwarf, and is called da battle at da camp. It was 1000pts each and the players were Tau (me) with Aun'shi, Black Legion (Joe) with Ahriman, and Eldar (Adrian) with Asurmen. The special scenario things were random game length and confusion.. Each player puts his HQ, transport and bodyguard bang in the centre of the table, and chooses a point at least 30" away from the other players points and 18" from the centre. A 12" radius around this point is your camp, and where you deploy the rest of your forces, which are all confused. This confusion rule means that everything apart from HQ, retinue and transport is pinned (even things that can't be), if they are fired on they are automatically unconfused. You may make 3 leadership tests each turn in an attempt to mobilize your units. Victory goes to the player with his HQ alive at the end, and if there are more than one, or none, you work it out this way:
250vp if your commander kills an enemy commander in close combat
100vp if you have a unit over 50% in an enemy camp at the end of the game

The armies:

TAU

Aun'shi

2 xv8 with plasma rifles, burst cannons, multi trackers. team leader has HW controller with 1 gun drone and 1 shield drone

11 fire warriors, 4 carbines

Squad Alpha: 9 fws, 4 carbines

Squad Beta: 8 fws, 3 carbines

2 broadsides, standard wpns, 2 gundrones, target lock

Hammerhead Delta: railgun, sms, target lock

Hammerhead Foxtrot: ion cannon, 2 burst cannons, target lock

ELDAR

Asurmen

5 howling banshees

16 guardians

8 dire avengers, exarch with a dire sword

5 swooping hawks, with one exarch

standard vyper

Falcon, bright lance, scatter laser

Fire Prism

Wraithlord, starcannon

CHAOS

Ahriman

4 chosen with mark of Tzeentch, aspiring champion with powerfist and bolt pistol

rhino, smoke launchers, combi-flamer

Squad B: 5 marines, mark of undivided, icon, champion with cc wpn and bolt pistol, heavy bolter

Squad A: 6 marines, mark of undivided, icon, champion with plasma pistol and powerfist, plasma gunner

5 daemonettes

5 raptors, meltagun, aspiring champion with 2 lightning claws

Obliterator

The setup: Eldar in the top left corner, me in the bottom left corner, and csm in the bottom right. Great.

To Battle!

TURN ONE

Chaos got first turn and managed to mobilize squad B, the obliterator and the raptors. Eek! They all moved their full distance towards the Tau camp. Woop-de-doo. Getting lucky, the oblierator morphed a lascannon and blew Hammerhead Delta to tiny, little, bite-size pieces. The other shooting was unsuccessful, and they were all out of charge range. In the centre, Ahriman charged Asurmen and his 'vengers. results; 3 dead 'vengers. that's it.

It's my turn! My only hope is to wipe out the raptors, before they smash into my lines. Organising my broadsides, hammerhead Foxtrot, and the two xv8, I proceeded to destroy the entire raptor squad with nothing to spare. Phew. Aun'shi decided to do the stupid thing and charged into the combat in the centre, and did...nothing. Surprisingly, the fire warriors killed one thousand son, and wounded another. Asurmen wounded Ahriman twice, and in return, the chosen killed another 'venger.

With a slew of bad dice rolls, the banshees, and no-one else decided to wake up, and fleetfooted 8" towards the central combat, and were just out of charge range.
Unsurprisingly, Asurmen cut down Ahriman, :eek: and had no time to react as Aun'shi leapt over the body and turned him into Phoenix-lord pate. :D In an act of revenge, the chosen cut down 3 fire warriors, and the no-longer fearless 'vengers realised they had lost the combat and fled, the chosen pursued and rolled higher on their dice, cutting down the 'vengers and running into the banshee squad...

More coming soon, when I have time...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
TURN TWO

With only one unit left to mobilize (squad A, which he mobilized), both marine squads moved 6" towards the Tau camp, as well as the obliterator moving 4", morphing a lascannon and failed to penetrate the hammerheads armour. Squad B gunned down to fire warriors form squad Alpha. The rhino followed the chosen, who crashed into the banshees. The banshees failed to wound, and in return the champion crushed one banshee with his fist. Squad B was just out of range to assault the tau.

The Tau also managed to get the rest of their army mobilized. Aun'shi and his guard moved back to their camp, and behind some handy cover, whilst the crisis suits jetted towards the centre. Squad Alpha fired at the marine squad B and failed to wound any. Blowing the smoke off their plasma rifles, the suits liquefied 3 marines of squad B. The broadsides took down another, and the hammerhead foxtrot's ion cannon took down another. with the icon bearing champion still alive, I searched desperately for something to fire.
Ah hah...
the hammerhead hadn't fired it's burst cannons, and proceede to cut the the champion down with powerful plasma pulses. I had managed to cripple the chaos onslaught. Just. In the chosen vs banshee combat, no wounds were scored and the banshees passed their test again.

With some more bad dice rolls, the fire prism and guardians decided that they'd better do something and got themselves organised. The guardians moved 6" towards the Tau camp, 3 were in range of fire warrior squad Beta, but their armour protected them, and none died. The fire prism hit hammerhead Foxtrot, and failed to penetrate again. :lol: Again the banshees killed no chosen, with the aspiring champion splattering the exarch's remains all over the place. The banshees fled a mighty 3", being cut down by the sons, who pursued 10", and overann in to the guardians (I'm spotting a trend here!)

more tomorrow...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TURN THREE

With a pact made between chaos and the tau, we agreed that I'd focus my firepower somewhere else, if he made himself scarce, the rhino moved over to squad A, who jumped inside, and the obliterator, under threat of death, moved 3" towards the eldar camp, opening fire with twin autocannons on the vyper, mobilising it and stunning it. The chosen cut down 5 guardians with no wounds in return in the continuing melee.

Half my plan had worked, chaos had been smashed by me, before ripping the heart out of the Eldar, and stopping their assault before it had started. I moved squad Beta, supported by the two xv8's 6" towards the Eldar camp, and hammerhead Foxtrot moved 6" to the chaos camp, before setting down it's landing gear and firing at the fire prism, and failing to penetrate. Squad Beta also failed to penetrate the vyper. The two crisis suits got a glancing and penetrating hit on the vyper, and stunned the invincible thing twice! Incredibly the broadsides shook (?!?!) the fire prism. The suits jetted a further 6" towards the Eldar camp in an attempt to claim territory. The combat continued and a further 3 guardians fell, the chosen were still unharmed, the guardians passed their test.

Mobilizing the rest of the army, the fire prism zoomed 24" to the right corner of the board, by a small wood. The hawks swooped towards the crisis suits, and the wraithlord plodded 6" towards the guardians vs chosen combat (or should I say slaughter?). The wraithlord missed the suits with it's starcannon, and the swooping hawks opened fire, blowing apart both of the xv8's drones, and wounding one. The chosen killed a further 3 guardians, receiving no damage in return, the guardians fled 8", and the chosen consolidated 3" towards the vyper.

more this evening...

feel free to add comments everyone, predictions, what you think of the plans, etc.
Please take a guess at the winner (don't answer carrotman) as this will build up suspense and make everything more interesting. :p

·
Professional Lurker
2,085 Posts
eldar cause they good at pulling things out of their a$$

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
keep those guesses comin'...

TURN FOUR
on a 2+ there would be a 5th turn. There was.

chaos squad A disembarked from their rhino, and summoned the squad of 5 daemonettes successfully, whilst the obliterator moved 5" towards the centre. squad A blew apart a hawk, and the obliterator !stunned! the falcon. Sensing some more killin' fun, the chosen charged the guardians again, killing three with no wounds in return, the guardians passed the test, and the daemonettes charged the hawks, one of them banished forever to the warp. 3 hawks were killed in return, and passed their test.

the crisis suits jetted back 6" to towards their camp, so that they were out of charge range. Squad Beta jumped nimbly over a section of barbed wire and moved 5" towards the Eldar camp, whilst Aun'shi kept all of his squad between the tau camp and centre, in cover. Hammerhead foxtrot disengaged landing gear and moved 6" towards the deserted chaos camp. Now for phase two of my plan. Aiming at the obliterator, the hammerhead fired and failed to wound. The crisis suits fired at the chaos squad A, killing two, and squad Beta failed to wound them. very close to the concussed vyper, squad Beta opened fire, and blew all it's weapons off. The broadsides immobilized the fire prism, sending it smashing into a pile of wood and detonating with a cataclysmic explosion. the xv8s jetted back a further 6". The chosen finished of the guardian squad, again receiving no wounds, and consolidated 3" towards the useless vyper. The single remaining exarch of the hawks killed another daemonette, before being gracefully disembowlled, his lifeless corpse falling to earth with a thud. The daemonettes consolidated 3" sideways towards the viper.

The falcon moved 24" to the centre of the table, and the wraithlord moved 6" towards the Tau camp, it fired at the daemonettes killing one, before charging and killing another to no wounds in return.

more tomorrow...

the Eldar are weak, but that unscathed wraithlord looks set to vanquish all, and Aun'shi, the one surviving commander, is very close to chaos squad A, and the unstoppable chosen are still alive... :huh:

Keep those guesses coming in, I won't write the rest of the battle 'till another appears... :(

·
Registered
424 Posts
Eldar will take it. Sole reason being Wraithlords can really hand you your ass, even in the bleakest situations.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Well, due to the questionable alliance, (poor eldar player), between Tau and Chaos, the Chaos forces seem to be in an aweful spot. [edit: oh ya, I wanted to ask. Was the eldar player the odd man out because you and carrot are friends? I'm just wondering why you agreed to help each other out. I expected both Eldar and Chaos to team up on Ausnhi right after the begining.]

Eldar and Tau are tied for killing an HQ in CC, but the Tau seem to be in the best shape at the end of that last turn. Hmmm..

I think the Tau will win, because even if Aunshi falls, the Tau seem like they'll get the most bonus points for occupying enemy camps, as the chaos and eldar forces are almost exhausted.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The reason we helped each other out is because i could have charged the tau army with my chosen/marine squad, and fairly massacred him, therefore, if he didn't shoot at me I wouldn't assault him. :D

·
Registered
353 Posts
Originally posted by carrotman@Oct 25 2003, 03:22
The reason we helped each other out is because i could have charged the tau army with my chosen/marine squad, and fairly massacred him, therefore, if he didn't shoot at me I wouldn't assault him. :D
I think you were just afraid of Aunshi, :D :eek:

Really though, it sounds like he shot you anyway, or did I miss something?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Afraid of Aun'shi! Actually we played one more turn that didn't contribute to the game result, and a squad of 5 chaos marines wounded aun'shi twice and killed 4 of his fw bodyguard :lol:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
carrotman, shut up! don't give away the story! ;)

I only allied with carrotman because:
1) he was distracting my firepower from the eldar
2) he was getting a tad annoyed
3) I decided he could do my dirty work and kill the Eldar for me

TURN FIVE
On a 3+ there would be a next turn. It was a ... 2, so this is the last turn.Re-reading the rules for this scenario, we realised you were supposed to roll each turn to see who went first. Doh!

I got first go, and moved squad Beta a further 6" around the swamp and into the Eldar camp, supported from behind by the xv8, who moved a further 6" into the Eldar camp, fired at the chosen of Tzeentch and wounded one. Dangerously close to the chosen, squad Beta crossed their fingers, opened fire, and did what the Eldar couldn't and killed the 3 remaining chosen! Squad Alpha failed to wound the obliterator, so the broadsides opened fire and blew it apart. Sniping from their cover of crates, the 8 remaining fire warriors of Aun'shi's squad glanced and immobilised the vyper. Kaboom! The crisis suits moved a further 6" to the Eldar camp, and were just outside it. Damn! Off to their right, the wraithlord crushed the two remaining daemonettes, and consolidated 3" towards fire warrior squad Beta.

Next were the Eldar. Utilising it's star engines or something, the falcon moved a ridiculous 30" into the Chaos camp. The wraithlord shot two fire warriors of squad Beta to bits, and charged them, killing off two more.

The rhino moved 6" from the centre to aun'shi's nearby bodyguard, and so did squad A, eager to avenge their betrayal (I broke the alliance by shooting up the chaos when they got to the middle and the Eldar). The rhino flamed 2 fire warriors, and squad A plasma'd a further two more to death, leaving just 4. luckily for me, they were just out of charge range, my plan had worked. Fire warrior squad Beta elected to voluntary fall back, failed their test and fled back 6" to their camp, the wraithlord got 8", and ran past the crisis suits as it cut them down.

VICTORY POINTS

1st: Tau = automatic win for Aun'shi still being alive
250 for aun'shi killing asurmen in combat

2nd: Eldar = 250 for asurmen killing ahriman
100 for falcon in chaos camp

3rd: Chaos = 0 points

Unit of the match: the chosen = they managed to kill:
3 fire warriors
8 dire avengers
5 howling banshees
16 guardians

after the game ended we played a further turn to see what would happen (this doesn't count towards VP and the winner, it's just for fun).

The wraithlord wounded the other xv8, then forgot to assault them! The falcon shot at hammerhead Foxtrot and failed to damage it.
The rhino shot at aun'shi's squad and failed to wound, whilst marine squad A killed two more with plasma, then assaulted, killing the reamining two, aun'shi then killed two,and the champion wounded aun'shi twice (forgot to use the parry rule!).
Hammerhead foxtrot moved 6" into the csm camp, and the crisis suits moved 6" into the Eldar camp. Sniping from their camp, squad Alpha performed a miracle and wounded the wraithlord twice! The crisis suits then finished him off from behind with their burst cannons! :lol: The broadsides blew the rhino sky high, and the hammerhead stunned the falcon (for the billionth time). The crisis suits moved a further 6" into the centre of the Eldar camp. Aun'shi killed the last marine of chaos squad A, leaving just the champion who did nothing to aun'shi and passed his test.

That's the whole battle, what do you think?

conclusions tomorrow...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Very cool bat rep, thanks hamster.

And congrats on the vic, it was well earned I think. Always nice to see the greater good triumph.

I'm curious about some of your rules though, you didn't seem to use the TAR, you opted for a voluntary fall back, and the Chaos Rhino transported a squad that it hadn't been attached to.

Did I get that all right? I'm not looking to nag, you can play however you want, just curious. Does everybody play with the voluntary fall back, and do the chaos get to buy Rhinos as individual units?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
havnt got the WD with the new assault rules in...
we said that transports can be used for any squad as it makes sense realisticly,ie; a rhino driver wouldnt say" I'm not picking up that squad in need of help because they couldnt be bothered to get their own rhino"
you are allowed to use voluntary fall back, dont know where i found it, though!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what the hell was that about carrotman?

TAU CONCLUSION

1)broadsides, lots of fire warriors and a couple of supporting suits is a very good combo
2)a screen of kroot would have been a good counter-assault unit
3)two hammerheads is one too many
4)something a bit faster would be a good idea...

I think my plan went off pretty well, and chaos did my work for me by killing off the eldar, and I didn't have to do much, as they were too bogged down in fighting each other to kill Aun'shi. Yay!

CHAOS CONCLUSION

I'll leave carrotman/joe to fill this in...

ELDAR CONCLUSION

1)better luck with to wound rolls...
2)swap the fire prism for more guardians
3)dunno what else...

I've already thought about the next battles to come, and tommorrow I might bring along the fluff for this battle...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Chaos Conclusiom:
1) Raptors are't worth the points in small games like this.
2)Thousand Sons with the mark rock!
3)Obliterators are good points value and are guaranteed to annoy the hell out of your opponent/opponents.
4)Daemonettes are good because of their daeomic abilities can hold up a cc psycho, i.e wraithlord.

Now, where's that lascannon? <:)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.