Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on these forums. I've been playing Imperial Guard practically exclusively throughout my Warhammer 40k career, and have returned after having not played at all for several years. I stopped playing when the game was in its 3rd Edition, and before the introduction of the Tau. Having read up on them, and having been an avid fan of Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers, I'd like to model and play a battlesuit heavy force. I would obviously include other troop types, such as Fire Warriors in Devilfish transports to maintain mobility (something that will be a welcome break from the Guard!) I was thinking of using deepstriking Commanders to hunt enemy tanks and ICs, and squads of 3 with missile pods and plasma rifles, Fireknifes as they seem to be called here. I am curious about the forum's thoughts on XV88s to provide fire support (I am amazed to see in my absence a S10, AP1 weapon, not to mention its battle cannon-like range!) against tanks, and if in general a Battlesuit-dominated force (2 commanders, 2 3 member squads of XV8s to take out light vehicles and heavy infantry,) some stealth suits to harass enemy infantry and a few fire warriors to fulfill Force Organization requirements is viable? They seem almost too good to be true, and I am worried the force would be too fragile (despite being space-born armoured suit wearing shock troops - Mobile Infantry from my childhood practically!) What is the consensus about these things.

Oh, and sorry for the length of this post. I seem to ramble a little bit!

·
Gone
1,286 Posts
You are on a very good track, Tau wise. Just know that you should never assault an enemy with a Tau unit, unless it is gun drones vs. guard, or you have to stall an enemy advance.

Also, consider a tank or two. Our hammerheads are wonderful, and mobile enough to keep up with the suits.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I am curious about the forum's thoughts on XV88s to provide fire support (I am amazed to see in my absence a S10, AP1 weapon, not to mention its battle cannon-like range!) against tanks, and if in general a Battlesuit-dominated force (2 commanders, 2 3 member squads of XV8s to take out light vehicles and heavy infantry,) some stealth suits to harass enemy infantry and a few fire warriors to fulfill Force Organization requirements is viable? -cadian315
Yes, cadian315, mech tau does work, so a crissis heavy list is viable.

They seem almost too good to be true, and I am worried the force would be too fragile (despite being space-born armoured suit wearing shock troops - Mobile Infantry from my childhood practically!) What is the consensus about these things. -cadian315
Tau are weak and fleshy but a little finess here or there with some jump-shoot-jump action while the FW's hide in DF, and the consensus says that we are ok.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess my concern is not as much versus hand to hand heavy armies - I played Imperial Guard for years and am used to avoiding assaults at all costs, and am even sort of versed in sacrificing one unit to hold up the enemy to allow a lot of rapid fire. The Tau seem to have that built into their fluff - the Greater Good! I am just more concerned about how battlesuits fare against shooting-heavy armies - Guard, other Tau, Eldar or shooty Marines. An XV8 looks badass and powerful, but it is only as tough as a marine with two wounds, and can get instant killed with a krak missile. I am worried of them dying like flies, and given the points investement in them, that isn't very uplifting. Even with jumpshootjump, it just seems like too much of a risk. Are shield drones viable? I guess the force LD checks, so that isn't ideal either.

·
391 Posts
You are on a very good track, Tau wise. Just know that you should never assault an enemy with a Tau unit, unless it is gun drones vs. guard, or you have to stall an enemy advance.

Also, consider a tank or two. Our hammerheads are wonderful, and mobile enough to keep up with the suits.
Ive actually Assaulted with Tau before with sucess. Their not quite as bad as people make them out to be. Sometimes it just more tacticly Viable to assault with your tau such as being assault range of a Squad of heavy bolters. Retributers (i think) Are Witch Hunters with 4(!!) heavy bolters in a squad. If your within assauly range of them and stand no chance of wipeing them out with shooting then Assualting may be a better option. Fact still stands that you should avoid even having to make the choice when at all possible. If your within assault range in the first place you've usually screwed up somewere :)

As for Tau being Fragile. They can be in some situations, You cant just trudge them out like a bunch of friggin trogs (Looking at you Marines) and expect them to live for very long. Try to keep them protected safe and make sure that if something can see you well enough to shoot you its because your shooting first. Tau do however have a very good basic save (4+ is by no means bad) so they can handle being shot up a bit by small arms.

All in all. Mobility and taking out a single unit at a time is your best defence.

·
Stirling
760 Posts
In the Ard Boyz tournament I had a full squad of firewarriors keep a space marine assault squad tied up for 4 rounds, and the inficted good casualties along with it. I left them with the sgt and one trooper. Course its kind of rare and relied on good dice rolls but I wouldn't have stood a chance had they charged me especially since they had furious charge. I managed to avoid pistol shots, 10 extra attacks on the charge not to mention the all told 30 attacks - misses to hit with a 2+ wounding factor.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In my main list I run one HQ Suit and 2 3-man suit squads with plenty of other stuff. The problem with a focus on suits (i.e., just Broadsides for Heavy Support, 3 full units of suits, commanders with bodyguard suits) is that they almost invariable go down quickly to power weapons and high strength weaponry (I guess a 14-foot tall armored battle suit rating T5 doesn't make any sense to Games Workshop, but a Space Marine on an exposed motorcycle does) such as lascannons, melta weapons, battle cannons, etc. Shield drones help (I put two in every suit squad an it really boosts their survivability). They also suck in hand to hand against anything but weak infantry units.

Plus if you fight against a slow/static army, your opponent will be crying cheese the entire game. It's a logical, viable tactic, but just keep in mind that that many units jumping in and out of cover is going to piss off pretty much anybody who wants to charge into combat with you or blast you with a large static line.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I contemplated using drones, as I intend to buy the Rapid Insertion Force (and convert a few into XV88s) and will have lots of them. I am just very hesitant to use them as they force leadership tests, and are point sinks to boot. For 3 suits and 4 drones (allowing me to make the initial hits against the drones) I could just buy a 4th suit, practically.

I was thinking of having my 'standard' 3 suit team being
1 Shas'vre Team Leader with PR, MP and multi-tracker, hard-wired drone controller and two suit drones
1 Shas'vre with PR, MP and multi-tracker
1 Shas'vre with TLMP and drone controller, 2 shield drones.

Thats a bit over 200 points - and it looks pretty effective, but is it?

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
I'm afraid not - the unit is illegal. You may only ever have one Shas'vre in a unit.

Perhaps using all three as Fireknives, with a Team Leader with Target Array, Bonding Knife and HWMT might be better: costs 206pts though. Three-man Deathrain+ team would set you back 159pts, and is a good source of long-range fire support though it lacks the low AP for anti-MEq.

E.

·
Stirling
760 Posts
You could go shasel/ shaso with a bodygoard which would give you the ability to have wargear on all 3. Just a thought. I have used that in the past and load em out plasma/ fusion w/ targ arrays for anti meq. at close range its 9 shots taht will usually put down 5-6 meq's on average.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.