Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a very new Ork player and would like some advice please.

I am going to put a unit of 20 boyz in a wagon and the idea is to get it across the board as quick as possible, but if it survives i would like it to be of some use once they jump out so i came up with this:

Ard case, Armour Plates, Grot rigger, Deff Roller

which comes to 140pts

My question is what if any guns do i need to add bearing in mind i want to move full speed first couple of turns. I am not clear what wuld be able to fire. And are the upgrades i have chosen worth it ?

Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm too trying to setup a BW. I'd reference the shooting from vehicles (it says that the vehicle can fire only one single weapon at combat speed 0-6"). Depending on what you are putting in the BW, it might be a transport, which allows for fire points. 20 boys are going to benefit from the BW being open-topped, as each boy gets to fire from the hull of the BW. I'm not sure what the restrictions for firing and movement from an open-topped vehicle.

If you really want to get where you're going quick, then I would assume that your BW won't be firing at all (unless the open-topped allows this). You're correct though, once you get there the armour plates and ard case will help. grot riggers and deff rolla are gold as well.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Battle Wagon [ 130 ]
+Armour Plates, 2x Big Shootas, Deffrolla

What to do:
Armour Plates- They're cheaper than their "Extra Armour" counterpart, and allow you to ignore the ever-so-prevalent Crew Stunned. Keep em moving!

2x Big Shootas- They allow you to eat two Weapon Destroyed results before you're immobilized.

Deffrolla- It's just plain amazing. Of course, with the Melta spam that the new metagame can cheaply afford, Tank Shocking isn't as viable as it once was. I still never leave home without it though.

You might consider a Stikkbomb Chucka to allow your Boyz to assault into cover.

And finally, squad up 19x Boyz and a Big Mek w/ KFF to grant your Battle Wagon a 5+ cover save and repair roll if needed. When your Boyz disembark, keep the Mek inside. Any unit within 6" of the BW hull will benefit from the KFF, adding a bit of survivability to your Boyz when they win a combat.

What not to do:

'Ard Case- DO NOT use Ard Case! It removes Open Topped, which contrary to what you may be thinking.. is BAD. Read the rules for Open Topped Transports, become familiar with them, and you will know why. Simply put, you can only assault after disembarking from a vehicle if it remained stationary that turn, or if it is open topped. Relying upon the former severely gimps your maneuverability, ESPECIALLY if you need to re-embark after a combat to move elsewhere.

Big Gunz- Do not add any big gunz either. Your BW shouldn't be spending much time stationary to make use of them. Even the big shootas won't be seeing much use.. but they're cheap, and are only added to make your battle wagon more durable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm working on building my first battlewagon. Do we have to make our own deffrolla? I can't seem to find something on the sprue that would indicate that its there. Also then how does everyone go about making a deffrolla?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I'm working on building my first battlewagon. Do we have to make our own deffrolla? I can't seem to find something on the sprue that would indicate that its there. Also then how does everyone go about making a deffrolla?
A true Ork kustomizez everything he possibly can.
Translation: No, there's no sprue for the Deff Rolla. Gotta make your own.

I haven't made mine yet. But I plan to buy a 1+1/2" and 2x 3/4" wooden dowels, cut them to length, Dremel little indents all over the place, and glue Airsoft pellets into them. Then cover with a coating of some kind (possibly just elmer's glue, to create a solid surface to help keep the pellets in place) before painting it. The effect will be something like the large wooden dowel forward and slightly close to the ground, to catch things and pull them under into the two smaller dowels which are behind it, to grind them up.

EDIT: Alternatively, you could buy a larger wooden dowel and just make it like a steam roller, which will likely be what I do for my second one.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Some people make the argument that you put a cannon on it. A cannon has a few options and one of those is to fire as a strength 4 blast template flak weapon. You are allowed to fire defensive weapons and one weapon (over str 4) if you move at that speed. Then if you put a Big Shoota or a Rokkit you can shoot that as well. Then if you haven't moved you could just shoot the higher strength value of your cannon.

If there is not a sprue right now there will be one for the Deff Rolla. I cannot view the site atm. But here is an image of what the Deff Rolla plastic kit looks like.

Blog Archive Incoming: Ork Deff Rolla!

·
1,053 Posts
Well I got 3 different battle wagons.

1) Kill Kannon, Kannon, 3 big shootas, ard case, armor plates, deff rolla and stick bomb chucka. Role is close anti tank/ line breaker.

2)2 big shoota, rokkit launcha, reinforced ram, armor plates, and stick bomb chucka. Role is Cheap Heavy APC for tank bustas or Nobz.

3) Supa-Kannon, big shoota, rokkit launcha, ard case, and armor plates. Role heavy tank, and artillery. Note this is a forgeworld special and is basically a earthshaker cannon on a battle wagon, you lose APC abilities and you can't carry any big guns like a kannon, or the kill kannon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm a big fran of running my BW with armour plates, grot riggers, and red paint jobs. That red paint job only gives an extra inch to your movement but sometimes that's exactly what you need to be in assault range. Armour plates are cheap and they allow your battlewagon to move every turn unless it gets immobilized. Grot Riggers are a must unless you're running meks because what use is that 14 12 10 battlewagon if it gets stuck halfway across the board.

I don't really advocate using big gunz because those battlewagons should be moving crusing speed across the board to get to your enemies not crawling along at combat speed so you can shoot a gun that's probably going to end up missing thanks to orky shooting. I haven't really ever tried to use deff rollas just because of the points cost but I have found myself wishing my BWs could do more after they get my boys to battle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts