Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to bring out a squad of beastmasters this weekend (I run kabal, but its stilll a small army, generally two wych squads, two warrior squads, two ravagers and two hqs, so really more of a balanced list around 1200 pts at the moment) and I was not impressed with their gains. I know some wych cults use beastmaster squads in order to augment wych assaults and add a little more punch, but because of their incredibly low defense, and the fact that, with a raider, a wych squad can move across the board, I was wondering if there is really a purpose to using Beastmasters, and if so, what tactics do people find as viable and useful. I charged four beasts + a beastmaster into low armored opponenets, and (though maybe my dice luck was a little off) only scored three wounds before the squad was wiped out. Maybe they're better off as a mobile cleanup crew, rather then a first engaging unit. Thats the only purpose I can come up for them at this point, but would love to hear what you other tacticians think.

-Slathe

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Wha?

Warp beasts are awesome! They are very fragile, yes, but they pack a huge punch for their points.
20 S4 attacks at I5 and 3 agonizer attacks on the charge are a force to be respected...for only 75pts. Marines have to pay twice that for a similar punch.

Compare them to what tyranids pay for hormagaunts...they cost the same as hormies with toxin sacs, but get one more attack and I+1 on top of that for free, as well as the beastmaster who costs less than the weapon that he carries.

They don't add "a little more" punch to a wych assault, they boost it a lot. They just should never fight on their own.

·
Archite of Caerbannog
1,583 Posts
Warpbeasts are best coming out of...you guessed it, the WARP:yes:

Running them on the board from the dz is like using a raider rush with no cover, crash and burn. It can be done but why not use the warp portal? Movement of 6", fleet D6 with 12" assault should work beautifully coming out of a portal that is 19" to 32" off the board edge. Yes, I run them as a support group to the wyches against power armor foes but could work against Tau or Orks or some Nids on their own.

My conclusion is:

What to do - in my tactics
They're made for coming out of the portal (must charge, not be charged)
They're perfect for cc support
Used in a pack of 5 w/master = 24 attacks on the charge (4 of which are agonizer)
Cheapest Agonizer you'll ever find
Inexpensive, nice distraction but crummy models.
Too weak in a 1000 points or less list

What not to do - in my tactics
Not maxing the squad
Running them on the board without cover
Using them alone to assault groups greater than 5
Using them as the first engaging unit with no support the same turn

Your performance is the average I get with mine - about 3 wounds on the charge, milage may vary from the dice gods and the power armor you're up against.

Dont give up on them, I think you got a good crasp now of what they can and cannot do so just change your strategy as you mentioned and use them as a "mop-up crew".

Good luck and happy hunting!

·
Born from Tears of Angels
1,770 Posts
I agree, beasts are amazing on the charge especially vs nids and guardsmen who they slaughter in CC. My opinion for your bad performance is simply bad dice roll, I usually get away with at least 6-8 wounds of of them= 6-8 gaunts or guardsmen. Ow yeah, master has 2 attacks, 3 on charge so he can hit only 3 times with agoniser and pistol before assaulting. What I always do, is hit the enemy with Wyches or incubi team and then charge with beasts. DEADLY combination, since wyches will soften up the target while the beasts will simply clean it up, works great vs eldar, tau, orks and guard. Downside is they arent good with withstanding ranged fire and die very quickly, either WWP them or hop from cover to cover. Best choice is advance them after your line so the warriors or wyches assault before the beasts therefore shielding em from fire. This is what I do and it works very well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah i think ill have to give em another shot going into a melee w/ someone else. I ran em across the board for a first turn assault on a band of orks, the problem is, of the five engaged in the first round of combat, I killed three, and he countered and killed 3 beasts, leaving me with only one and a beastmaster left, which promptly died the next round (i didn't have five beasts ,my last ones at the GW store now gotta go pick it up). I'll give em another run, but ill have to make sure they're not in the melee by themselves, because they don't fare so well in that regard.

-Slathe

·
Born from Tears of Angels
1,770 Posts
they can hold their ground in CC vs gaunts and guardsmen so they dont need help in these two cases. Warpbeasts are a MUST against swarm armies cause they slaughter nids in CC so dont try them, use em, just make sure you know how to. Use them to support stronger units in CC like wyches and grots. Hit with primary unit and finish off with beasts

·
Archite of Caerbannog
1,583 Posts
ArchonAstaroth said:
Only three agonizer attacks...the beastmaster only has a single profile attack, plus the boni for the pistol and the charge.
Hmmm...yep, 3 attacks - not sure where I got the 4th one.

Thanks!

·
Archite of Caerbannog
1,583 Posts
Had a 1000 point game against Eldar, not sure what sect, but the beasts held their own pretty good.

I ran them up to cover first turn eyeing 6 howling banshees fleeting their way towards me. A group of rangers sniped one of the beasts but I continued towards my prey through the cover. He didn't realize I had 12" assault and so I charged my pack out of cover for 6" and with a "5" on the fleeting and 12" for assault I ran my 4 beasts (and master) against his six banshees. Killed 2 on the charge then I lost 2. I killed one more and I made a the 6+ save. He made his morale, we then both lost one and this is was when his warseer and 16 gaurdians piled in - I was able to kill 5 of his banshees and caused his troops to pile in. This bought precious time for my foot slogging (or should I say fleeting) wyches to pile in as well.

So the beasts did a number of things:
1. took a turn of shooting from a squad of rangers.
2. tied up 6 banshees for about 3 turns
3. caused a warseer and a large squad of gaurdians to pull to the right flank while I ran a squad of wyches towards the same flank.
4. and killed more than their cost in points.

I believe it was the first time he played DE and didn't know what wyches or beasts could do (despite 3 redshirts telling him to avoid the wyches at all costs). Yes, the succubus cut down the warseer and once that was done they failed morale and were overran.

And to top it off I had to correct the red-shirt that the beastmaster only got 3 attacks on the charge.:yes: - he then checked and agreed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.