Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently I was looking into ideas for a 40k Beastmen Army... 3 ideas stuck out...

• Witch Hunters (Radical)
  • Lost and the Damned (Is it still Legal?)
  • Imperial Guard
I think the major things that I need to base my choices on or more so get opinions on are:

• Viability in game play: Will the list perform decently? or will it suck and be unplayable?
  • Legality: Will it be legal?
  • Look: I wanted to do something along the lines of this:
Throw out your opinions, and thank you in advance...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well I think its a good idea, I've always liked Beastmen in 40k, I would think so long as you have heavy support and fast attack and all that it would be perfectly viable. As for legality, I don't know if you could have it in tournaments, butt its not like illegal if its just conversions and stuff.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Don't know exactly, sorry.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm Well I think it leaves some ideas open. Originally the beastmen had a kind of fanatical zeal to them. They were more than willing to charge headlong, and some were even suicidal using explosives. So just ideas to fulfill. Also keep in mind fluff wise that they are probably viewed as heretical off the bat, so it leans a bit more towards the witch-hunters in a way. Looking forward to opinions though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whats the general opinion and viability on a Tau force including kroot as well?

This particular picture caught my eye and in my opinion might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
231 Posts
There are rules for abhumans/beastmen in a white dwarf, if I can find mind I might be able to tell you the exact issue, if anyone knows help would be appreciated.

A beastman is perfectly fluffy and valid! While the idea has never particularly struck me with the bug I do enjoy seeing others interpretations...

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts
'Counts As' armies work just fine as long as you distinguish wargear and such very carefully (and differently) - make sure that your opponent can look at your army and with very little explanation figure out what each unit is rules-wise.

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
I like the idea, its very old school.

Personally id be happy to play against a 'counts as' army as long as it was clear what was what before the battle.

Id say Imperial Guard would be a good list to use- possibly using the catachan list as a base? you could also use the standard IG list with suitable doctrines- and you could make some cool conversions- things like Centaurs as rough riders with bullet belts etc modelled on

·
Gone
1,286 Posts
Your best option would be IG.
So long as they actually have lasguns and whatever they need to have, are on the correct sized base, and are the required % GW product, you are fine.

Kroot are fine in a Tau army, as they are in the codex.
I think you meant beastmen.
Could be used as proxy kroot, and it would be less work.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Guardsmen are definatly the way to go. I love that idea for roughriders. Or maybe even the kroot merc list? Although I think because it dictates the actual race of the troops in the title it wouldnt be advised.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I seen a black templars with beastmen army that was freakin sweet it was a very well done. If space marines arent your thing then id go with Gaurdsmen

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well, right now the list is looking to start as a kill team of Beastmen IG. I will decide where to go from there, probably rough riders because well... Those centigors are so darn cool ^..~. Sadly I also have to work on my first Warhammer Fantasy army (also beastmen) so I am gonna kinda shoot back n forth. The reason this all works is because GW is the smart guyz(Reads: Dumb [email protected]#$s) who decided that gors should have greater numbers than ungors in their box... thusly where you should have more ungors than gors you are left with extra gors!

Kicker, they are the same exact height as space marines in armor... and slightly taller than Guardsmen (the standard cadia guardsmen). I think my major problem with Beastmen Space Marines is two fold...

• "Encased" in armor...
  • The overall flooding of "ZOMG SPACE MARINES! WANT!"
There is a general in flood of space marines players at all times, and well, Beastmen are supposed to be that unique flower... that lands on a space marine plants a large chain-scimitar right into it's collar plate and slices downward cutting them in two, not the other way around. Their armor doesn't exactly lend well to the conversion, looking automatically at taking the entire marine apart to try and get armor plates for specific areas of the Beastmen, my other issue is that if you start ripping armor of the marines what warrents their excessive saves. Grey-Knights/SoB caught my eye though, as they have their disadvantages, but that is already planned as an actual group for me, starting with a GK kill team and working up from there. Hmmm Perhaps one day I might work with the Idea of Chaos Knights... Interesting thoughts...

While Imperial Guard are cool, their large numbers don't lend well to converting, so that probably won't pan into that big of an army. A squadron of Rough Riders, Perhaps a Kill team(reads: Platoon) of Imperial guard. But not much more than that. If anything they would make a cool display ^..~ and a great way to work on my converting skills.

(as an aside the final verdict on doctrines came out to be something along the lines of: )
  • Rough Riders Restricted Troops
  • Priests Restricted Troops
  • Warrior Weapons
  • Light Infantry
  • and a toss up between hardened fighters, ogryns restricted troops, and veterans...

On the other hand Tau have a nice balance, being a force with both ranged capability and a nice mix of stats from fire-warriors, to auxiliaries, to kroot. You get a nice smattered of stats and their models also lend themselves well to my concept. Additionally their fluff allows the bringing in of other races, what better way to support the greater good than bringing in tough new allies that are already adept hunters and trackers and giving them weaponry. I wouldn't exactly mind converting those battle suits, and the idea of "bonding" just brings so many ideas of things to do with the beastmen as far as modeling.

So all in all good stuff and thanks very much for the thread =), was very a productive thought engine.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ah.. This is the sort of thing that LatD is designed for.

You get infiltration, ranged weapons, and lots of flexibility. Units with various marks can fill in for different types of beastmen, while mutants, big mutants, and chaos spawn can represent the more nasty sorts of soldiers. CSM commanders can be the leader Gors.

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
I was thinking about some more conversion ideas for this list (if you go with IG)

Ungors converted into ratling snipers
Minotaur Ogryns- admittedly thats harder as they are all metal parts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Well, LatD is a very flexible list. It's like Dogs of War in WH. I see it as mostly a "Convert an new sort of army, then use LatD to represent them", sort of list.

In a beastmen/chaos greeblies army, which'd rely more on different stat-lines than different gear, I think it's your best bet.

Chaos never really struck me as the sort of army that'd rely primarily on ranged attacks, as the guard are. And they'd DEFINETLY not be so feeble, stat or CC wise. There's also limited amounts of options you have as far as bigger/differently mutated beastmen, beyond Ogryns.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To be honest the Kroot Merc list has caught my eyes... group of infiltrators that can do well in combat, lightly armored, decent stat line and they do well in forests.

My main issue is with these unique army lists is whether they are still legal. IF I wanted to build an army would I be allowed to run them at local Rogue Traders? Which are more likely to be accepted?

The kroot still bring some interesting viability but I still wonder how easy it would be to model them after imperial units, not exactly part of the imperial guard but remnants of what was former IG beastmen. IE they escaped and continued to exist, combat with many different foes supplied them and this is where they sit now. Mixed weapons (would count as kroot weaponry) and close combat capability combined with their natural affinity to the woods.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Kroot sound good.

The WD lists have never really been given much support.

Seeing as I think it was a 4th ed list, it should still be alright. There's nothing particularly problematic about their rules.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts