Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an upcoming game against crons two warrior squads and 6-9 destroyers as well as immortals and a orb lord what i need to know is what guns are most effective against crons and what tactics works against them. is extremely heavy in necron models so i need to kill as many as possible. what sort of list works against them? i want to field a infantry spam perhaps with armoured support

·
Registered
272 Posts
Best advice I can give is try and split him up. If you can get stuff out of range of the orb it will be easier to keep down.

Also watch out for a VoD on the lord. He may use a flying circus tactic and teleport a lovely squad of immortals around the board reeking havoc. Not really sure what to do about this apart from make sure squads are covered, so even if he does destroy a unit you've got something near by to try and do a bit of damage with.

Obviously high strength weapons are useful, both to make it easier to kill him in the first place, and also make it so they can't get up if they're out of orb range.

·
4,967 Posts
Strength 8 weapons are good against necrons. Meltas and battle cannon will ignore their armour and stop the WBB roll. A resurection orb however means that AP3 is the main considderation as they will always have the WBB roll. In this case veterans with 3 plasmas are good, firing from chimeras.

Volume of fire can also work especially getting complete units to lie down. There will be no WBB if there are no similar models around.

Vendettas with SWS of 3 demo-charges can be fun. Plod around at range sniping destroyers with lascannon, then make attack runs on warrior concentrations lobbing 3 democharges to get multiple hits so they all lie down.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Vendettas with SWS of 3 demo-charges can be fun. Plod around at range sniping destroyers with lascannon, then make attack runs on warrior concentrations lobbing 3 democharges to get multiple hits so they all lie down.
Don't forget the Demolishers too. Necrons HAAATE Demolishers.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yeah, Demolishers are quite nice. Make sure to wittle down the unit the Lord is in. Because once that unit is very small you can start pumping Demolisher shells into it, and as soon as that Lord fails his WBB, they'll be yours ^^

Just be aware of the fact that if his Destroyers focus fire on any vehicle they will get around 2 Glancing hits, and a stranded Demolisher is a sad sight indeed :(.

And, what pts are you playing at? If you're at 1k and he has that few models he's more or less bound to have VoD.

But I suggest, as the others, to invest in some high S weaponry. All from LRBT to Lascannons, just as long as you negate them their normal WBB-roll you'll slowly wittle them down and have an easier time getting to the Lord.

Simply, once again, knock out the Lord and it'll probably be a bt easier.

Cheers ^^

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yes, you do want demolishers for the destroyers and immortals and everything else. Good to intant-death the lord with...

What you could do is to make an assaulty army with straken and lots of furious charge guardsmen, preferably with flamers or grenade launchers. Necrons can't take CC in 5th ED...

·
Registered
17 Posts
As a cron player myself - get in close, bring a lot of PWeapons, and attack the units that the Lord is not in with high S, and insta-death so the WBB is useless. Concentrate fire onto the standard Warriors not near the Lord and then the Lord's unit to whittle down the numbers quickly. Assault the Warriors and Destroyers you can.

Crons are a fast and mobile army except for the Warriors. Most units can turbo boost into position and a Flying Circus will wreck havok on planned strategies. Wraiths are deadly in CC, so shoot them to pieces. Have your fire power watching your flanks but be able to direct fire into the center mass if able to.

Destroyers and their heavy cousins are the bane to vehicles with thier high manuverability and glancing hits... but by far worse are the scarb swarms armed with dirsruption fields. Ive chewed apart Tau Hammerheads, Ork Trukks, SM Predators and Rhinos, and even a Land Raider using a squad of scarab swarm bases. Template weapons will get rid of them.

Our low I means that we usually hit last in CC, we have a good save so a PW will negate it, dish out as many wounds in CC as possible to win the assult, we have a high L too, but enough wounds will whittle it down and we usually break and can easily be caught in a sweeping advance which has no WBB for the fallen models.

Keep in mind our Phase out too. Kill enough, not all, just enough to force a phase out and there's nothing the cron player can do about it.

-- Happy Gaming!

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Your one and only hope against that list is ordnance. Use your men to screen your tanks and do everything you can to keep them from being shaken. If he's foolish enough to teleport his Lord and an Immortal squad near you then throw everything at that hated res orb, otherwise there isn't much to be done. Try to force a tie by fragging his Warriors first.

If the mission is kill points, you brought a 3V list or he has a Monolith in addition to those Immortals and Destroyers then do yourself a favor and forfeit. There's no point in fighting a hopeless battle.

You will never get into close combat with them and it wouldn't matter if you did. Don't bother with power weapons.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I highly advise against infantry spam against Necrons. The amount of STR 5 and 6 AP4 shots they can put out from the Immortals and Destroyers is daunting. If he brings a squad of Immortals and 6-9 destroyers, he could wipe out an infantry platoon in one turn with them alone. If you do bring a good amount of infantry, you better hug cover with them like they were hugging their momma for the last time.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
Remember to focus your shooting on one squad at a time if at all possible. A Necron can't WBB if he doesn't have anything to replicate himself from, so if you knock them all down, they stay down.

Even though glancing hits aren't as good, they will still make your 'Russes not shoot. That is why I like the ranged firepower of a regular russ over a Demolisher any day vs. 'Crons.

To win, focus on phase out, one squad at a bloody time. :sinister:

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you opt for the infantry spam, you will need as many troops to throw at them at possible.

But my recommendation is to rush 2 or 3 squads at the warrior squads and try to tie them down. While they are tied down, get the rest of your units in range (preferably rapid fire) and shoot the hell out of them once CC is resolved.

Focus your fire, I cannot stress that enough. It might be harder to wipe out entire warrior squads if they are placed within 6" of each other so they'll get WBB despite being wiped out as a unit. Or a tomb spyder within 12" and another warrior squad ANYWHERE on the map will do the same thing.

ResOrb is a very nasty wargear which will make you tear your hairs out. And the worst thing is that its damn near impossible to kill the lord as he's likely to be hiding inside warrior squads. Its a question of being able to hit him and get a wound on him rather than the strength of the weapon.

So all I can say is just spam sheer firepower and pray that they'll actually stay down.:sinister:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Basilisks.

Kill them all.

'Nuff Said.

(everyone hates Basilisks though, so more will probably be said)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Basilisks

Minimum range

'Nuff said

(There i said it)

so, basically i need lots of ordnance plus Straken and as many guardsmen as possible to charge in bomb them to bits with my demolisher then finish them off with the guardsman charge? sounds suicidal...
It is how guardsmen are supposed to be played, according to my regular opponent. Suicidal guardsmen backed up by big ordnance tanks. He isn't using Straken though. (We beat each other at a 50% rate.) I've seen how devastating massed guardsman assaults can be and how hard they can fail. Straken will definitely tip the weigh in your favor.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I don't want to seem like a jerk, but I have to speak my honest opinion. An infantry rush is an exrtemely bad idea. If you charge a bunch of guardsmen across the field to get into close combat with him, you are going to get bathed in gauss fire and obliterated, especially when you get into range of his regular Warriors. If you stay away from him and do what IG do best (blast away from long range) then you will force him to come to you. His Destroyers are 36 inch range, everything else is 24 and under. So, if you can get rid of the Destroyers relatively early, he has nothing that can easily reach you and will have to march after you. This will allow you to keep at range and continue blowing him away.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I don't want to seem like a jerk, but I have to speak my honest opinion. I feel like their is some bad advice being given here.
Yes it is. It's the best idea i can come up with for trying to make guardsmen kill necrons. I bet you have an better idea of which weapons to equip the guardsmen with.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Get rid of his Destroyers first. They will annoy and suppress your movement. Do not be afraid to send your high strength and low ap weapons at his Destroyers. After his Destroyers are dealt with hit his Immortals hard and fast. Best thing to do is to charge high initiative and high strength models at his Immortal squad so that they will not get WBB. After you get rid of his Res Orb mop up his Warriors with high volume fire of low ap weapons.

I run Tau and have ONLY ever played against Necrons with my best friend. High weapon S and low AP hurts his Destroyers the most, high Initiative and high model S really intimidates his Immortal/Lord squad.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Get rid of his Destroyers first. They will annoy and suppress your movement. Do not be afraid to send your high strength and low ap weapons at his Destroyers. After his Destroyers are dealt with hit his Immortals hard and fast.
Demolishers FTW

Best thing to do is to charge high initiative and high strength models at his Immortal squad so that they will not get WBB.
You're talking about either ogryns or lots of furious charge guardsmen?

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
I'll expand on my original post. I had the (mis)fortune of having a skilled player with just such a list at my local store. He was a nice guy but his army was not--I never lasted longer than four turns against him.

One can count on the Res Orb being everywhere it's needed, so it's fairly safe to assume that the Necron player will have a cover save and WBB at all times. That means you need more than four ordnance hits to kill a Necron, on average. If he has a Monolith then he gets another WBB save on top of that, meaning over 8 ordnance hits per kill, which is why I recommended giving up in that case.

Close combat is useless mainly because of the Destroyers and Immortals. These units have no need to get close to you and can fire while falling back or flanking without difficulty. No infantry blob will survive three turns of that kind of firepower, especially out in the open. Even if you do make it, your GEQ power weapon will average 12 hits to the Warrior-kill. I don't usually favor math-hammer arguments but here it illustrates the general futility of fighting Res-Orbed Necrons.

If the Necrons have a Veil of Darkness (or a Monolith) then he can walk away from close combat if he wishes.

What the Guardsman needs against such a list is ordnance for three reasons. One, it gives the range and/or mobility to fight Immortals and Destroyers. Two, every ordnance shot can cause multiple hits, making it much more efficient than, say, a meltagun. Three, because of that stupid, stupid res orb your opponent will be bunched up around his Lord, meaning you won't miss often with those pie plates. If you can keep your tanks from being shaken (no small feat here) then you can do well.

Necrons don't do so well in tournaments because they have trouble with Terminators, precision deepstrikers, high-end close combat units and special abilities (like the Lash of Submission). Deepstrike Stormtroopers might be able to snipe off Destroyers. You might also try Psyker Battle Squads. Allied Grey Knight Terminators would be good, too. Mostly, however, we only have guns. Big, big guns....

·
Registered
688 Posts
Necrons don't do so well in tournaments because they have trouble with Terminators, precision deepstrikers, high-end close combat units and special abilities (like the Lash of Submission). Deepstrike Stormtroopers might be able to snipe off Destroyers. You might also try Psyker Battle Squads. Allied Grey Knight Terminators would be good, too. Mostly, however, we only have guns. Big, big guns....
:Cough:Low end close combat:Cough:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts