Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a Necron army and tactics to beat Dark Eldar. There will probably be 500, 1000, and 1500 point games. Any suggestions? Things to watch out for from the oponent?

·
Bearded Ninja
2,678 Posts
im dark eldar and you shall be chopped to bits lol (no offence) but seriously expect a lot of assaut and trust me monoliths wont help :lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No offense taken. Tell me more. What would you take against Necrons and what sort of tactics would you use? What Necron units are you most worried about?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Against DE..well...don't let him get close. Destroyers and veiled Immortals are a great help, but be careful not to land in assault range of a unit which you can't destroy or cripple that turn. Especially the HQ and ravagers are priority targets, wyches aren't that effective against Necs.

jwu

·
Bearded Ninja
2,678 Posts
im not to sure if i should betray my bretheran hold on i could get some more power in comorrah let me think on this :unsure:

·
Bearded Ninja
2,678 Posts
ok dont get close

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should really put my cards on the table.

I am a Dark Eldar player who is new to the game. My first few games will be against a friend who plays Necron, and I am trying to get an idea of what he will field against me, what tactics he will use, etc.

I'll be playing 500pt games at first, then upping to 1000, etc.

Being new, I expect to get tooled pretty badly, but I would at least like to make a decent showing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well that was shady, trying to sound as if you played necrons... Anyways, you should try to use jetbikes and get clos to him. Raiders are a great help as are ravagers... you should probably use plenty of dark lances and disentegrators to negate his save... DLs prefrerred so there are no WBB rolls. If he brings a monolith, which he probably will in the 1500 pointer, then you should try to avoid it at all costs. The flux arc projectors will rip you to hell, and all your guns will bounce of the side, save the DL, which won't get its special power to reduce the AV to 12. Instead you have to roll a 5 to glance and a 6 to penetrate which is not very good considering DE BS. Just go fast.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well that was shady, trying to sound as if you played necrons...
Yeah, in retrospect that was lame.

For 500 points, the Necron choices look pretty limited. He is looking at 460 points just to fulfil the minimum of 1 HQ and 2 squads of ten warriors each. That only leaves 40 points for wargear or additional units. Some of the wargear doesn't seem so worrysome. OTOH, the lightning field looks positively nasty.

First time out, I am fielding three raider squads, and a Drachon who will join one of the squads as the game begins. I'll try to stay at least 24" away from his warrors and pound a bit with the Dark Lances before closing to assault range. Once that initial 500 points is painted up, I can start looking at how to grow to 1000.

What about going after the monolith with haywire grenades?

All-in-all, Necrons look like a pretty tough match for Dark Eldar, regardless of my tactics.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Originally posted by TheWayOfTheGun@Oct 29 2003, 19:03

For 500 points, the Necron choices look pretty limited. He is looking at 460 points just to fulfil the minimum of 1 HQ and 2 squads of ten warriors each. That only leaves 40 points for wargear or additional units.
i can tell u his list the two squads of warriors, lord and reconstruction orb

·
Registered
318 Posts
Originally posted by TheWayOfTheGun@Oct 29 2003, 19:03

What about going after the monolith with haywire grenades?

Yeah the last 40 points will probably be used for a res orb. Just take as many disintegrators as you can, as this will negate their saves. Whether you use the template or the Heavy3 option is up to you. The more dice 'Crons have to roll at once the more WBB's they'll fail.

As far as Haywire grenandes go, they work wonders, but remember you need 6+ TO HIT a monolith in CC, and getting in on a 'Lith is kinda hard in the first place.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everybody for all the info.

ust take as many disintegrators as you can
Hmm... my 500pt army list is already pretty tight. I can squeeze one disintegrator by fiddling with my Drachon's wargear. After that I'll have to drop warriors, bringing Raider squads to 8 instead of 9. I was gambiling on him spending the 40 points elsewhere in the 500pt game. Is that foolish? Without the Res Orb, the DLs seem like a better deal.

For 1000pts, I'll certainly have room to upgrade to disintegrators though.

getting in on a 'Lith is kinda hard in the first place.
I was thinking jetbikes or deep-striking scourges.

Bringing this thread back around to focus on the Necrons though, how does facing DE affect the Necrons' strategy?

·
Registered
878 Posts
They stay at medium range and shoot you. DO NOT USE VEHICLES! The Necrons are already good at killing vehicles, and the crap armor on DE vehicles isn't gonna help.

·
Registered
318 Posts
On the contrary I reccommend using raiders ALOT, otherwise yer running through Gauss without the extra speed, and AR 10 might be SH*T but it's still a LOT of armor saves ya don't have to make. As well as the wrecks make good cover for whatever troops survive the Explosion.

As far as Necron tactics vs DE I tend to just sit in one spot and wait for him to come to me, and use THE VOD alot (You won't be seeing this in 500 points though).

at 500 point necrons are very vulnerable Low phase out and V. low maneouverability. More than likely he'll hide in a lot of cover and try to take you out of your ships, then assault.

EDIT: Deepstriking too near a monolith isn't too bright as you can't move or assault the turn your troops hit the board; likely there'll be a few units of necrons near it as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On the contrary I reccommend using raiders ALOT
Yeah, I'm taking three raiders for my 500pt army. Since Necron troops shoot 24" and raiders shoot 36" I can hopefully sit outside his range and pound him for a bit until I am ready to assault. By staying 31-36" inches away even if he advances I still won't be in range. I am hoping cover won't screw that plan up too badly.

I haven't worked up a 1000pt list yet, but I'm tentatively looking at beefing up the existing raider squads, adding one more, and a ravager. I'll have to see how many points are left over for other fu.

That damn WBB is going to nail me though.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sounds like you got a good strategy there....... one more thing.... CONCENTRATE your fire on one squad at a time. If he's all bunched together somewhere, then just pound away till he moves, sooner or later he'll leave a troop out of 6" of the other one, and while he may still get the res orb effects, if you annihilate the one troop, then there'll be no like models in 6" and WBB won't apply.

EDITED for spelling

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.