Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So as tradition goes new year means a new army. This time I'm starting Eldar. My main opponents are Orks and Tyranids. The orks has very much infantry and hasn't yet wielded tougher vehicles than bikes. The tyranid player usually brings a carnifex and a hive tyrant to the field, but he also has loads of gaunts and genestealers and alike. That's why I have all the scatter lasers. I'm just starting out and currently painting the troops so most of the other stuff isn't bought yet. Some advice would be welcome, but mind that I'm not a powerplayer.

HQ
Autarch
-Warp jump generator
-Mandiblasters
-Power weapon
-Fusion gun

TROOPS
3 x Guardian jetbike

10 x Dire avengers
-Exarch
*Power weapon & shimmer shield
*Defend
-Wave serpent
*Twinlinked scatter lasers
*Spirit stones

10 x Dire avengers
-Exarch
*Avenger catapults
*Bladestorm
-Wave serpent
*Twinlinked EML
*Spirit stones

FAST ATTACK
1 x Vyper
-Scatter laser

HEAVY SUPPORT
Wraith lord
-Bright lance
-EML

Now totalling 975 points

(Modified 8.1.)

·
Registered
371 Posts
A couple of things I noticed that you may want to steer away from (and this is strictly my opinion):

- With Doom and Guide, you probably won't need Estorm on that Farseer.
--are you putting the Warlocks and Farseer on jetbikes, or keeping them on foot?
-Take the Spirit Stones off of the Vyper - it's a waste of points.
-Switch the TL Bright Lance to a single shot Bright Lance, and single shot EML - more effective (and gives you more options)
- Put the second unit of DA's into a wave serpent. They move too slow, and will not be utilitized to the fullest on foot.

If you have the Farseer, Warlocks, and that unit of DAs on foot.. they won't be able to make it into the fray with the rest of your stuff and might end up eatting a lot of fire, or not being NEAR as useful as you want them to be.

It seems like you're sort of spread out. You're on the right track with your troop choices - definitely keep the 10man DA squad in the Wave Serpent - good choice there. But if you're looking for more of a close combat unit, you could save some points by slapping a 10-man squad of Storm Guardians with a Warlock in it instead.

You have a lot of points invested in that Farseer/Lock detachment combo... you could better use those points in more transportation.

If the above is a basic list of what you own.. then you're doing what you can (believe me, we all have to start somewhere).

All in all I like the ideas.. just a couple of tweaks to make.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with Wrekka. I would drop the Locks, and put farseer on jet bike. This will give you extra points towards more transport for DA's resulting in an army that is all skimmers and 1 wraithlord.(Way more fluffy and probably more effective.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the great response Wrekka. I did some adjustments to the list in OP.

However I don't want to put Farseer and Warlocks into bikes, because I don't like the models then. Maybe I should switch the HQ. I would like to wield an Autarch, but I don't know how they should be equipped and used. Maybe have one in the Dire Avengers? How would that work?

I dislike doing same things twice, so that's why my DA squad has PW & shimmershield. Also both Orks and Tyranids will get to melee range, and quite fast too, so I figured some survivability wouldn't hurt. The other squad takes the pre-emptive-approach.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Using Autarch would fit with the Saim-Hann better than seer and locks i think. You could give it wings to stick with the flying mentality if you don't want a jetbike HQ.

Also, if you dont like have alot of identical squads all with the same transport. It wouldn't hurt to Throw in a heavy weapons battery with the points you sve from HQ. I would recommend Fire prism but i dont think the points are there.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thanks for the great response Wrekka. I did some adjustments to the list in OP.

However I don't want to put Farseer and Warlocks into bikes, because I don't like the models then. Maybe I should switch the HQ. I would like to wield an Autarch, but I don't know how they should be equipped and used. Maybe have one in the Dire Avengers? How would that work?

I dislike doing same things twice, so that's why my DA squad has PW & shimmershield. Also both Orks and Tyranids will get to melee range, and quite fast too, so I figured some survivability wouldn't hurt. The other squad takes the pre-emptive-approach.
I usually equip my Autarchs with Mandiblasters, Warp-jump Generator, Fusion Gun, Power weapon.
Pretty nasty combo.. Mandiblasters for +1 attack, Warp-jump generator (aka, warp spider ability), AP1 melta gun, and a big slicy-sword that makes people go "ouch"

It's ok to have 2 different DA units... just use them appropriately. I would put the Autarch in the unit of hand-to-hand DA's and the Farseer in a wave serpent with the other DA unit.. and drop the warlocks.

EDIT: I am at work so I don't have my rulebook in front of me. I don't know if you can fit all of that into 1000 points.

Basically.. my "list" would look like this:

[HQ]
Autarch - Mandiblasters, WJ Gen, Fusion Gun, Power Weap
Farseer - Doom, Guide

[Troop]
10x Dire Avenger
-exarch w/ 2x shuri-cats and bladestorm
-Wave serpent w/ EML, Spirit Stones

10x Dire Avenger
-exarch w/ shimmer/pw and Defend
-Wave serpent w/ Scatter laster (assuming that's how you have it modelled) and Spirit Stones

3x Jetbike

[Fast]
Vyper w/ Scatter Laser (might exclude this for now.... (if you cant fit in everything else for 1000 points)

[Heavy]
Wraithlord
-EML
-Brightlance

...Like I said.. I don't have the rulebook in front of me for totals so look it up yourself (im 90% certain i'm over the total of 1000 points).

If you had to remove anything, I'd say the Vyper. The other option is to remove the 3 jetbikes - which I think is a bad idea.

My reasoning:
Jetbikes:
Pros- Scoring Unit, Mobility, support for your DA's
Cons - Squishy, only 3 of 'em.

Vyper:
Pro- Fire power, mobility, can take out enemy vehicles if it gets access to rear armor (yay boosting)
Cons- higher priority target, more expensive, not a scoring unit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I changed the HQ to an Autarch with the suggested setup. This looks nice to my eyes, I could even throw in one more jetbike. So if I run the Autarch with Dire Avengers, is it so that should an opportunity arise, the Autarch can make a normal move (in this case warp jump move) to leave the squad?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Heya, I'd just like to give my 2 cents.

Autarchs are definitely more fluffy, but a farseer is the only way to go to make saim hann competitive. Farseer with jetbike, doom, fortune, and spirit stones is an awesome addition to any saim hann army.

Eldar jetbikes need 5 at least in a squad to make sure that they don't immediately run off the table, but should have 1 or 2 more. And without the cannon, don't expect them to be mobile firepower, because with 12" guns if they're in range to shoot, they're in range to die. The cannon will allow you to do some damage from further away and duck behind cover with the 6" assault move.

Vypers are deffinately saim hann and good, but I'd take them in pairs unless you're playing combat patrol. The free spirit stones from squadron rules are really important. Scatterlaser+shuriken cannon is the most versitile set up, but if you find you play more than 70% marines, taking starcannon+shurken cannon would prove more effective.

How to fund the changes that I'd suggest: drop one of the squads in a waveserpent. You don't need two> those changes above. And if you're going for saim hann, do not take a wraithlord. It's going to be too slow for your army and not good. It limits overall mobility, as a group is only as fast as it's slowest member. Fireprisms or falcons are the best heavy support options for saim hann.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.