1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
UnderWater Ninja-Tiger ..
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my army:

Ultramarines: 645pts

HQ: 309pts

1 Capt - powerfist, term honors, plasma pistol (115)

Command Squad:
1 Sgt. - Term Honors, plasma pistol (46)
1 Apothecary - Term Honors, cc weapon (chainsword) (51)
1 Company Champion - Term Honors, (power sword, combat shield, bolt pistol) (35)
2 Marines - Term Honors, 1 CC/pistol, 1 plamsa gun (62)

Troops: 256pts

Tactical Squad 1:
1 Sgt. Term honors, powerfist, pistol (45)
7 Marines - 1 hvy bolter, 1 flamer (116)

Scout Snipers 1:
1 Sgt. Sniper Rifle (18)
4 Marines - 3 sniper rifles + 1 missle launcher (77)

Fast Attack: 80pts
1 Land Speeder Tornado (Hvy bolter / Assault Cannon )

My opponent typically has: (sorry don't know the point values)
Warboss heavy armor, power klaw
9 Nob bodyguard choppas and sluggas
3 squiggs - fodder

Slugga boys (20)
choppas and sluggas

shoota boys (10)
shootas and 2 or 3 big shootas

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
HQ: 309pts
1 Capt - powerfist, term honors, plasma pistol (115)
Unless your going for something very fluffy, I would very much advise against a powerfist on your captain. A power weapon would still allow him to deny armour saves and would make use of his high initiative, which the powerfist denies him. The plasma pistol is a matter of preference really, I'd stick with a bolt pistol myself, throwing in a combat shield so he will have an invulnerable save when in close combat. (Alternatively, if you were to drop the powerfist down to a power weapon and give him the combat shield, then you gain the invulnerable save while keeping the same amount of points spent.

Command Squad:
1 Sgt. - Term Honors, plasma pistol (46)
1 Apothecary - Term Honors, cc weapon (chainsword) (51)
1 Company Champion - Term Honors, (power sword, combat shield, bolt pistol) (35)
2 Marines - Term Honors, 1 CC/pistol, 1 plamsa gun (62)
I would seriously recommend not using this squad at all and would give yourself another troops choice instead. (I would advise not using more than 10-15% of your total points on your HQ's until in higher point games.)

Tactical Squad 1:
1 Sgt. Term honors, powerfist, pistol (45)
7 Marines - 1 hvy bolter, 1 flamer (116)
Rather than stating the totals for things like the sergeant after all equipment, and then his squad after all equipment, its easier on most people if you just post the entire squads total all at once. (161 in the case of this squad.)
Flamers in non mechanized/drop pod squads generally do not do that well in my experience. Their lack of range means they need to get close to your enemy, while the heavy weapon needs to remain still in order to be used. I would advise switching the flamer for a plasmagun because you'd really do better from having another gun with range to help you take out some more orks before they hit your lines.

Scout Snipers 1:
1 Sgt. Sniper Rifle (18)
4 Marines - 3 sniper rifles + 1 missle launcher (77)
Again, total points should be listed if your going to be listing them at all; so 95 for this squad.
Not to bad a choice, I take it these guys target the nobz as often as possible?

Fast Attack: 80pts
1 Land Speeder Tornado (Hvy bolter / Assault Cannon )
Now this is definately a good choice against your orky enemy; lets you tear into them while being a bit hard to kill with what you typically come up against.

The big problem I can see with your list is that its to top heavy, with over three hundred points put into your five HQ models. Many of those points could be better spent getting you marines with better firepower, such as a six man devestator squad with three heavy bolters. A unit like that would maul those twenty man mobz.

Combined with the heavy bolter of your tactical squad, you'd probably be seeing five to seven orks falling from those two mobz every turn they fired. (Seeing as they are running to you rather than using any transports to get them there faster, you would have at least three or four turns of shooting, enough to wipe out almost all of those orks.)

·
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Much appreciated. I agree vs. the orks the powerfist is not the right way to go. So far my only other opponent has been my step son, and he plays tyranids. with a Tyrant and a Carniflex (mocked since he can't afford an army) but we play so I can continue learning the rules, still have to look everything up nearly every turn.

With only STR 4 HQs (my supposed melee beasts, libs with VoT and Chaps) the need to roll a 6+ to wound the Tyrant or the Carniflex, I threw some powerfists on my SGTs. (which I use as a commander when not using the other model.)

I'll try super thinning out my HQ heavy army list. They're really only in since they were the first box set I bought after the Macragge Set.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
get a land raider crusader and watch him cry cuz he only has one model that can hurt it. lol.

Just kidding, then the game would be too one sided and he would never play with you 8X

take darkreever's advice, it is good :p

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Much appreciated. I agree vs. the orks the powerfist is not the right way to go.
I'll be completely honest with you, I actually use a powerfist on my crimson fist captain and they regularly see action against orks. I suggest not using it because my captain's use of it is for fluff purposes (big close combat fist that can be painted red) whereas yours is more for it to be good overall.

You might want to look into getting yourself a dreadnought, the standard close combat weapon, assault cannon, heavy flamer, and extra armour combo work pretty well against orks and tyrnids all the same (that assault cannons shots being able to cause quite a bit of damage with some lucky rending rolls and some unlucky armour saves on the monstrous creatures part.)

I'm not much of an ultramarine fan, I play chapters that usually have some problem with either the ultramarines themselves or their primarchs actions. Have you ever considered another chapter and making use of the traits system?

·
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, but as a complete beginner, and my friend coming back in from 3rd. We've been trying to learn the rules, by gradually introducing new rules to each match we play. I've been looking at Cleanse and purify to get the extra plasma ( but that would be geared against the TMCs, I face against my step-son) So even the Deep Strike, Infiltrate..etc.. rules we've just been playing Alpha* versions of all the missions to keep it simple.

we're as a group still struggling with close combat scenarios all the time, and either way we read some things just seems totally off balance one way or another.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.