Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Pirate Chaos Space Marine
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just started on my first ever pack of greenstuff. The idea was to make obliterators from terminators, some left over weapons and GS. I thought; how hard can it be? The answer was, harder than you think... My first concern (I'm sure there'll be more as I go along) how do you prevent the GS from sticking to the sculpting tool?

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
I'm sure you could find some tutorials on here if you checked the search function for titles with "green stuff" in them, or even on CoolMiniOrNot - The Internet's largest gallery of Painted Miniatures and Miniature Painting art, I know they have heaps of articles on a wide range of stuff, as well as that there is the gamesworkshop website which has a nice beginners guide and tips on how to make the most of your tools.

But to answer your question in short, water, or vasaline works well I'm told, me personally its water because vaseline costs money. Also letting the GS dry out for about 15 minutes after you mix it works well too.

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
It is true that water is needed to avoid the sticy nature of green stuff. Also I have found that green stuff is easier to use if it is warm. If you are in a cold room and your hands are cold you will find that for some unknown reason the green stuff is harder to work with. Also it is a good idea to make sure your tools are clean and wash your hands well after using green stuff. If it gets in your mouth it may make you feel a little sick.

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
about an hour maybe? it depends, it can probably go an hour with you touching it, each touch seems to lengthen the time, but I'd say depending how dry it is from when you first made the part, an hour to be safe, it was already sort of dry then half an hour?

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
Here comes another question, how long before the GS has hardened enough to touch without leaving marks?
That depends, there does not seem to be an absolute or precise drying time for green stuff. I would suggst you try to safe rather than sorry. Wait for four to five hours if you want to be sure avoiding leaving marks on it with your hands.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Here comes another question, how long before the GS has hardened enough to touch without leaving marks?
It depends on the mix aswell, iirc the blue is the hardener, so the more of that you mix in the quicker it will dry, but it will be harder to work

1 - 8 of 8 Posts