Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have always wanted to get into either Warhammer Fantasy or 40K but have never had the time to commit myself to it until now. Before I get started on anything however, I have a few questions about both games:

(By the way, if there is a beginner's forum that I am missing on this page, sorry in advance)

1. Between Fantasy and 40K, which game is most widely played? Although I would rather play in a fantasy setting than a sci-fi one, I would much rather have more people to play with and am not against playing 40K if that game is played by more people.

2. What army would you suggest I start out with? The type of army I am looking for is:
- Powerful infantry (preferably not horde-ish. I like quality over quantity).
- Great Elite units. Heroes are not that important to me.
- Cost effective, meaning I can field an army with with (relatively) less money.
- Easy to paint. Not only am I new to playing the game, I am new to modeling the pieces too.
- Fairly unique. I don't really want everyone else to be playing that same army as me.

3. How would you suggest I get started with said army? What units should I buy to get myself started out with that would be a respectable, balanced force to learn with?

4. Are there any other resources besides this forum that you could recommend that would help me out with tactics, painting, army building, and other general advice for a beginner?

Thanks for answering all these questions guys. I'm excited to get started!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Hey, welcome to Warhammer

1/ Sadly 40k is the most widely played these days. But you will tend to find a large percentage of that group is the younger kids. So you might get more games but it's often against screaming 12-15 year olds with horribly painted armies. While a lot of the fantasy group are your older gamers. (I know I'm generalising here)

2/ For 40k- Space Marines fit all your criteria (especially easy to paint) except for being unique, in fact they're probably the most common army.
For WHFB- It's hard to say, I dont think any of the armies are 'easy' to paint.
Most armies can field an 'elite' style army which will have a low number of models, it all comes down to how you write your army list really. I'd suggest just looking at the models and theme for each army and choosing which one you like the most.

3/ You need 2 TROOP units and 1 HQ unit minimum to form an army for a game. So naturally the best place to start is buying a basic commander and 2 squads of core infantry. I would recommend first & foremost buying an army book (once you decide which game/army). That way you can put together an army list and post it here for comments, it may save buying units you dont really want, etc.

4/ Gamees Workshop staff are very helpful with all those sorts of things, if you happen to have a store where you live.

Good luck

Cheers
Manu

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
2. What army would you suggest I start out with? The type of army I am looking for is: (space marines)
- Powerful infantry (preferably not horde-ish. I like quality over quantity). (space marines)
- Great Elite units. Heroes are not that important to me. (space marines)
- Cost effective, meaning I can field an army with with (relatively) less money. (space marines)
- Easy to paint. Not only am I new to playing the game, I am new to modeling the pieces too. (space marines)
- Fairly unique. I don't really want everyone else to be playing that same army as me. ( anything but space marines)
So yea... space marines win most of the categories, but I'm afraid you rarely (if ever) walk into a GW where there is no one playing them, far more likley that there are 6 space marine players playing against each other.

While space marines aren't unique as an army, they have great modelling potential, so you can make up your own colour scheme, and model your own stuff.

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
Hey everyone, I have always wanted to get into either Warhammer Fantasy or 40K but have never had the time to commit myself to it until now. Before I get started on anything however, I have a few questions about both games:

(By the way, if there is a beginner's forum that I am missing on this page, sorry in advance)
Hi, welcome to the hobby!

1. Between Fantasy and 40K, which game is most widely played? Although I would rather play in a fantasy setting than a sci-fi one, I would much rather have more people to play with and am not against playing 40K if that game is played by more people.

As others have said 40k is generally the more popular game (although it does seem to depend on geography and it does seem to differ in some areas) but as the new edition of Warhammer fantasy battle is due out in July (8th edition) you can expect a bump in fantasy players soon. So if the fantasy setting appeals to you more then id say stick to your first gut feeling and go with what appeals more. It might also be worth checking out the local club scene to see what people play there- if its exclusively 40k players then maybe that would be better!

2. What army would you suggest I start out with? The type of army I am looking for is:
- Powerful infantry (preferably not horde-ish. I like quality over quantity).
- Great Elite units. Heroes are not that important to me.
- Cost effective, meaning I can field an army with with (relatively) less money.
- Easy to paint. Not only am I new to playing the game, I am new to modeling the pieces too.
- Fairly unique. I don't really want everyone else to be playing that same army as me.
There are people loads more qualified to give army choice suggestions but as you don't want to be collecting armies everyone else has Space Marines seem out, so of the other 'elite' type armies Eldar fit most of your briefs, but they aren't the easiest to paint...Tau are easy to paint but dont have powerful infantry, Tyranids and Orks are fairly new so you'll probably come up against a lot of them, Chaos Marines possibly? but again they are generally pretty popular (not as popular as loyalist marines though)

So....Pass! Generally i'd say go with what feels right in terms of the look of the miniatures, playstyle (asking on the army specific forums will help here) and background- if in doubt GW staff are very helpful (if incredibly over eager and in your face with sales patter) and will no doubt run through all the races with you (apart from Dark Eldar and Necrons) before trying to sell you whatever is brand new.

3. How would you suggest I get started with said army? What units should I buy to get myself started out with that would be a respectable, balanced force to learn with?
The Battleforces are generally a good way to start, although they dont contain legal armies. You need 2 troop choices and an HQ so get yourself your chosen codex and knock up a small list with this as a basis. Don't be ashamed at buying the starter box Assault on Black Reach either, as its an excellent starting point to learn the game, even if you dont end up collecting SM or Orks- even better if you can split the models with a friend (although you dont technically get legal armies in this box either!)

4. Are there any other resources besides this forum that you could recommend that would help me out with tactics, painting, army building, and other general advice for a beginner?

Thanks for answering all these questions guys. I'm excited to get started!
There are other warhammer forums like this one that will offer help with any questions you might have (but they suck! booo! ....joke) but YouTube is also a great resource with a whole host of people offering tips on playing the games, painting minis and anything else you could think of. Of the top of my head the following channels are great: bluetable painting, doremicon, terrainguy, Beasts of War, BoLs.

Hope that helped, welcome to LO and make sure you hit the boards, loads of great members and great advice to be had on there- remember there are no stupid questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts