Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
LO Zealot
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Necron Lord Index, a Beginners Guide to the Necron Lord - by Gauss Storm

Hello, in this guide I will go through the do's and don't of the Necron lord war gear, and define some popular terms you see around here.

*Note a veteran player will most likely find this not helpful, this is intended for newcomers to our army.*

So now you have your Necron lord and what to equip him with? at first it is very tempting to go out and give him a solar pulse, resurrection orb, chronometron, and nightmare shroud. But first think about how Necrons work, each unit in the army was designed to suit one role. Now the Necron lord was designed to be adaptable to suit one role, so really give a thought about what role your lord will be playing.

As a general rule of thumb keep your lord cheap unless you really need to max out his 100 point war gear limit.

The popular Necron lord configurations:

1. Flying Circus - veil of darkness

2.Standard Lord - resurrection orb

3. Bug Zapper - destroyer body and a lightning field

4. Wraith Lord - destroyer body, phase shifter, warscythe /staff of light, resurrection orb (resurrection Orb is optional)

The Lord's Equipment

Chronometron - This piece of war gear is not only expensive but highly useless, most people will strongly recommended against it.

Disruption Field - Its cheap but its not very logical, save your points your gauss can do the tank hunting.

Destroyer Body - This is a fairly cheap amount of points and now gives your lord T(6), and faster movement, best used with a unit of wraiths.

Gaze of Flame - Good anti charge bonuses for a foot lord or a flying circus lord, can really make or break your game.

Lightning Field - Can be extremely devastating against low armour saves, and T(3). Best used with a destroyer lord and 10 scarabs, for its cost it's almost a steal against fragile armies (Harlequins say goodbye!)

Nightmare Shroud - Forcing multiple leadership tests against armies such as Tau, Dark Eldar, or Kroot can be very effective. Useful on both a destroyer lord and foot lord although with the amount of fearless armies and high leadership it can be useless most times.

Phase Shifter - Only take this on a "Wraith lord", the invulnerable save is quite nice to go along with the wraiths and will keep him from being too obvious of a target when locked into close combat.

Phylactery - If your a really lucky guy I would only suggest this wargear to you, for the price of a gaze of flame you get much less and like I said it can potentially (and very likely) do nothing.

Warscythe - This is the only weapon option given to the lord, against terminators or when you really wants wounds to go through this is a great buy.

Staff of Light - Is given standard to the lord and provides him a nice all rounder, the ap3 assault 3 is nice to soften up marine squads before a charge from your wraiths and being a power weapon wounds will still be damaging against most things. I would say overall go for the Staff of Light, although the warscythe is still very viable.

Resurrection Orb - More commonly referred to as the "res orb" is far and above the most popular and obvious war gear choice among Necron players. Add resilience to your army and has a nice point cost, not many bad things to say about it.

*Note that Necrons can still be effective without a orb, so feel free to run without one if you feel you do not need it*

Solar Pulse - This is a expensive piece of war gear and is only a one time use in addition users that fail to see you from rolling can still choose another target, so this almost asks your opponent to just check if they can see you. It can be used with your flying circus to prevent the opponents army from just turning around and blowing your 400+ point unit up.

Veil of Darkness - This is probably the second most popular piece of war gear, used best with Immortals this is know as the "flying circus", it allows your lord and a squad to become very mobile. However there is the risk of scattering and randomness involved. Personally I only run it when I really feel the need too, but it can be very deadly.

That concludes my short writing on the beloved Necron Lord.

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Cool, another good article.

Just one typo i noticed:

*Note that Necrons can still be effective with a orb, so feel free to run without one if you feel you do not need it*

should be ''still be effective without an orb'', i think, unless im just reading it wrong lol.

·
Registered
119 Posts
In my experience a Wraith lord, as you've described it, without the Rez orb works wonders by himself.

Just have him hug terrain till he can charge a Heavy Weapon squad, or charge a tank and stay safe.

I ran this configuration with Wraiths for a bit, but then more often or not he'd detach and charge something different from the Wraiths to the point that now I don't take the wraiths with him anymore.

·
LO Zealot
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well mind that this is intended for beginners and that what I say is'nt the be all and end all of things, this was written for a general outline of what is good to take with your lord. I often run my lord without a res orb and it works wonderful, but a new player might find giving his wraith lord w/wraiths a res orb a bit more forgiving.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well, Wraiths aren't a very forgiving unit themselves for the beginner honestly. I see what you mean though.

My two lords atm are

Necron Lord

Veil of Darkness

Rez Orb

and

D. Lord

D. Body

Phase Shifter

Warscythe

Together they run me 370 points. I run the D. Lord up the field until I can charge him into a ranged squad (one he'll beat in close combat, don't charge things that he cannot kill).

The other lord sticks with the warriors until the end of the game, at which point he uses the veil to deepstrike the most alive squad of warriors towards the objective.

Of course this strategy only works against ranged armies like Tau and Eldar, which I've had a lot of success against.

It hasn't worked that well against CC oriented armies, so take this advice with a grain of salt.

·
gone fishin'
1,359 Posts
personally, i like to combine the following lord with a monolith:

res orb

pahse shifter

gaze of flame

warscythe.

This lord is for some reason amazing against characters. when my warrior squad with him in gets charged by the enemy's hq, i pull them out with the monolith, and assault their hq with the lord. If it's big squad the rescued necron will shoot it as well. so this lord is very durable and sends characters running for their lives. I would recommend this for anyone with a slow army.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts