Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Interrogator chaplain with termie armor digiweapons and mace of redemption

Votes: 7 87.5%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i continue to go back and forth on this one.

Lets say i'm fielding an Dark Angels (DA) army that has no deathwing squads in it. Basically my army is more greenwing with banner of devestation in it

But i want to bring a land raider crusader filled with 6 deathwing knights and 1 knightmaster. Now the question is who to accompany the squad

1) Belial with TH and SS 190 points
2) Interrogator chaplain with mace of redemption, digital weapons, and termie armor 170 points

Pluses with Belial he has a S8 Ap2 TH, 3++, WS6. The key really is AP2 since knights only have one turn of super saiyan goodness so he helps against termie armor

Pluses with Interrogator chaplain: gives squad zealot aka hatred, weapon causes blind when a unit is hit, S7 AP3 on I5 ap2 vs CSM, rerolls 1 to wound roll from digital weapons. If enemy unit fails initiative test then unit WS and BS are 1 until next turn. Pretty nasty when your knights strike at initiative

Looking forward to your thoughts

·
Registered
807 Posts
I would say go with the Chaplain and avoid charging 2+ armored squads, unless they are chaos. You'd be bringing a lot of special rules with Belial that aren't really getting taken advantage of... and hey! 20 free points! Buy yourself something nice!

·
Registered
827 Posts
2+ armored squads are best dealt with at range. The bolter banner will assure you of the power of massed dice. Remember it does not affect storm bolters, but the crusader will pump out 24 shots a turn. My friend tacs on ravenwing bikes with it, and pretty much circles around the land raider with them. It is savage.

I would keep the chaplain to deal with pounding troops and whatnot, so that you can free up your shots for less friendly targets.

·
Double Clutching Weasel
3,279 Posts
Chaplain gets my vote. Not only is he a good beat-stick himself, but he also buffs the squad, which (to me) is worth quite a bit. Without turning termies into troops, a lot of Belial's "value" is lost, and you're just paying for an expensive TDA Chapter Master. You're also losing Belial's precision deep strike (and his better precision strike storm bolter, which is rather "meh").

So, that being said, you're better off trying to decide between a TDA Chapter Master or a TDA Interrogator Chaplain, and in that case, the Zealot is worth the points. Digital Weapons are neither here nor there, but take them if you want them.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I'm going to go with the IC on this one. Zealot and hatred are going to fit better with this unit choice and 20 points is always useful elsewhere.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the recommendations on the IC. I wonder would it be better to have a IC with no termie armour so you could add a techmarine in the LRC. Hes not as durable but you do get more Ap2 attacks and the ability to fix the LRC if you have to.

·
Interrogator-Chaplain
5,356 Posts
If you dont want scorring terminators then go with the chaplain. Belials tax is wasted otherwise. He is very good in close combat and that flesh bane is going to kill a lot (I had more success with him than chaplains vs MCs) but the DWKs need those rerolls.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Depends how much you REALLY want Terminators as troops. Otherwise, the TIC is an amazing addition to the army, whereas Belial doesn't contribute much himself.
Doesn't Azrael make Terminators troops anyway? Is there any purpose for taking Belial at that point?

·
Interrogator-Chaplain
5,356 Posts
Yep there are quite a few: His precision deepstrike, his fleshbane, his point cost, his equipment flexibility etc etc.
However since the only terminator unit the OP will be fielding will be Knights, the point is kinda mute. He doesnt need someone to unlock scorring terminators.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I had forgotten that Belial had the fleshbane trait in this codex. That aside, I have to concur that Belial adds a lot of value to a a proper Deathwing list, but not to the one that was proposed by the OP.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Yep there are quite a few: His precision deepstrike, his fleshbane, his point cost, his equipment flexibility etc etc.
However since the only terminator unit the OP will be fielding will be Knights, the point is kinda mute. He doesnt need someone to unlock scorring terminators.
Ah, I thought the Jetbike guy had the Fleshbane sword.

Still, isn't Azrael only like 20-25 points more?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts