Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've done a bit of converting. A little of this a little of that... But I want to take on some more ambitious projects.

So I'm gathering knowledge on coverson tricks. What I'd like to know is good ways to go about bending plastic , without mauling it.

I think I know the basic idea, but I have yet to put it the test. Any suggestions are welcome.

The method: - for an example we'll use bedning a marines knee.
1. Cut a notch in the back of the knee - Should any cuts be made in the front to account for the articulated knees?
2. Heat the area to allow easy bending. This is where I'm not so sure on - what's a good source of heat for this?.
3. Bend
4. Glue - Should the bending and glueing come as one step? More or less...

Maybe I'm totally wrong, mabye I'm right here or there. Please let me know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you want to reposition parts of a model, the best method but sometimes the trickiest is to cut it into sections.

Out of a regular SM knee you'd get the foot, the bottom shin, the knee, and the thigh. If you need to reposition anything too drastically, and thereby it creates a large gap, wedge in some plasticard and/or modelling putty to cover the gap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, I haved used the slice and dice method on arms a good deal. Teh arms are pretty easy since they have nice clear divisions - but I stayed away from the legs since they didn't have such clear divisions.

I guess I should suck it up and practice a little.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I repositioned some space marine legs by cutting them into pieces, and it is indeed hard to do well, as you get really big gaps and whole sections to resculpt.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bending plastic

I've used both methods, heat and the slice and dice method.
Heat if your in a hurry. I use boiling water, just immerse the figure in and bend away, or hold it over a tea kettle in the steam. I have to say that this takes practice and I have burnt myself more than once. Stay away from open flames! I hate it when I hold the model too close and it suddenly burst into flame :oops:
Slice and dice if you have lots of time and dont mind filling and sanding. This is the method I use most now days.
I converted a whole squad of plastic Catachans into a Squat Miner gang for Necromunda using this method. It was worth the effort and my "Lost Dutchmen" are a real ball to play.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Slice and dice conversions

Another thing you might want to consider with this method if working on plastics. Take a small bottle (2oz) shave off some of the plastic spru into the bottle and pour in acetone untill the shaved plastic is covered. The plastic will melt into a semi liquid mass in the bottle in about 8 hours. As long as you keep the acetone in the bottle the plastic will remain this way.
After you've done all the slicing and dicing, use the liquid plastic to fill in the gaps, then sand and paint as normal. This has the added atraction of the melted plastic being the same color and same material as the orginol plastic miniature.
I've used this method in the past and it sure saves me a lot on modelling putty. You can also use this melted plastic for just about anything you can use modelling putty for.
Hope this helps
"Every day above ground is a good day"

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
What I do when I'm repositioning arms/legs is not cut them in pieces but I just look where it has to bend and I remove some plastic there, bend the piece, and use green stuff to fill any gaps.

Oh and Doc, why are they called "lost Dutchmen"?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Lost Dutchmen

My Squat Miners are called "The Lost Dutchmen" because in our history of the west there is a legend of a lost gold mine that was found by a dutchman. He was dying and lost when he came out of the mountains and supposidly gave directions to the mine to the people that found and cared for him until he died. To this day people have searched for this mine which was reportadly incredibaly rich, but no one has ever found it.
Numerous people over the years have died in the attempt.
Can you imagine any other background or name for a group of dwarfs running around underground? :lol:
"Every day above ground is a good day"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doc, that tip about making your own filler plastic is great. I've done something like that in the past, but mind just involved putting a drop of glue on the join and then sprinkling some plastic shavings on that, waiting for it to melt a bit then holding the whole thing together. I haven't tried it yet - but your method seems a lot better.

·
Registered
126 Posts
just one question what is a good source of acetone?
Acetone in large quantities can be bought at hardware stores (check under painting supplies and solvents). But you can also buy nailpolish remover as it is the same deal.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I use a lighter. It works on plastic and metal. When it's hot I just use tweezers to bend in the right direction, to cool it I put it in front of a fan. Sure, it might get burned, but I paint over it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.