Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the best leman Russ you can make from the Demolisher kit for the purpose of anti horde?

i am thinking of going executioner with plas cannon sponsons.

·
1,648 Posts
I wouldn't so much classify the Plasma-cutioner build anti-horde, though it can definitely do that job. Take out any heavy infantry and MCs with it before you go after horde.

Honestly the standard demo works very well, but for anti-horde I wouldn't really take a russ. Griffons, hellhounds, and valkyries would do the job much more efficiently.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Personal experience tells me Leman Russ is great for anti-horde... Sitting still and firing all those weapons ..... *drools*. But that's just my personal experiences...I know it doens' talways work that well lol.

I love the idea of 3 Heavy Flamers, Heavy Stubber and Demolisher...though Battlecannon works just as well...well..so does any other really lol.

Cheers,
Scott

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Answer 1: Eradicator.
Answer 2: Eradicator with Heavy Bolter Sponsons.
(I'm sure you can blag the Demolisher turret as an Eradicator one in games)

You want to kill hoards THIS is the tank. Str6 means it wounds on 2's. AP4 means it ignores all Hoard armour but the shining thing this has over all the over varients is "ignores Cover".
If you're shooting at Orks this guy is exactly the same as the Demo (wounds on 2's no saves) bu it has ignores cover. So it'll generally kill more than even the Demolisher. Plus it's got a 36" range. Whats not to like?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I realize you can't make it with the Demolisher kit without a little conversion work, but I love the Eradicator. Nothing like laughing at Orks hiding in cover that won't protect them from the sheer awesome-ness of your Nova Cannon!

"What cover save?"

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
The eradicator is king of anti-horde. Cover is huge in 5th ed and hordes don't have great saves so its lower AP isn'y much of a drawback.

The Emperor Protects

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Personally I would have to disagree with you gents, IMO the best anti hoard weapon the Imperial Guard have at their disposal is the Manticore. Generally speaking a hoard army would typically be what? 100, 120 models in 2000 points? Now fitting this army in cover could end up a huge problem in the early game leaving them very open to pre emptive fire especially when that fire is D3 S10 AP4 large blast templates. With a little luck this unit could wipe out a few dozen or so models from the table overthe first few turns of the game.

·
Proud banner bearer of LO
945 Posts
A fair point for the Manticore you have there. In 2000pts (or even 1500) one could easily field an Eradicator and Hellhound too, why choose? Have a slice of everything! :D (Unless of course, the wallet is picky and must go for only one...)

I add my voice to the virtues of the LR Eradicator for best anti-horde Russ variant, I plan to convert my spare Russ turret into one when I find the right bits so I can smite enemy hordes, even when they cower in their precious cover. :soldier:

·
durus
2,578 Posts
From the Demolisher kit, the best is the Punisher. S5 will wound on either a 2 or 3, and equipped with Heavy Bolter sponsons, you can have 29 S5 shots. Most good players will take advantage of cover and spacing, so making them take more saves is the way to go.

Otherwise, the Eradicator is the way to go.:soldier:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
From the Demolisher kit, the best is the Punisher. S5 will wound on either a 2 or 3, and equipped with Heavy Bolter sponsons, you can have 29 S5 shots. Most good players will take advantage of cover and spacing, so making them take more saves is the way to go.

Otherwise, the Eradicator is the way to go.:soldier:
Vanilla Russes beat Punishers most of the time for less points. Sponsons are almost always a bad idea. Tanks need to move to be truly effective.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
Vanilla Russes beat Punishers most of the time for less points.
I disagree.
Even take MEQ troops.

Russ: With proper spacing, even a 'stick' will only wound 5 or 6. In 4 plus cover, that means you'll be lucky to kill three if you stick it, maybe 0 if you don't stick (which is 2/3 of the time).

Punisher (no sponsons): 23 shots. 11.5 hit, 7.66 wounds, 2.66 dead. This calculation is done with Meq troops, and will be even more effective with hoard troops. On the other side of examples take a a squad of the ever popular TH/SS termies in front of you (2+, 3+ saves), I would rather have a Punisher than any other Russ.

Agreed that the regular Russ has range and is slightly less points, but 24" is generally fine. This Mathammer is of course just that, Mathammer and anything can happen with the dice gods. Both tanks have their place, I just wanted to show that high AP weapons aren't always the best.

5ed hugely increased cover, and hense lessened the effectiveness of Battle Cannons. You will kill lots of enemy troops by making them take saves.

The best guns now are those that negate cover saves, like a Collossus.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.