Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
You Can't Kill the Metal
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what would be the best non-assault anti-tank addition to a tide list... I'm leaning more towards either Kans or Zzap Guns but any comments are appreciated.

:knife:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Tough choice but I'd probably go with the Kans as they have good survivability and good close combat prowess. The Zzap guns get re-rolls and extra crew members though, and effectively have a 5+ save against small arms fire (lasguns will bounce off the guns), and a 3+ save vs single shot anti-tank weapons (which will just kill a single grot crewmember) Though no where near as good as the auto-hitting 4d6 armor penetration of the previous rulebook, the Zzap gun is still a decent anti-tank weapon. You have about a 40% chance of the battery firing a S8 weapon, equal to the Rokkit or KMB that you would equip the Kans with, and a 1 in 6 chance of it being S10 (although half of the time at S10 it will kill off a crew member. The crew shaken result that happens on any glancing and penetrating hit is also a nice little bonus, especially if you immobilize something like an Basilisk or Leman Russ that most likely won't be moving much anyways.

·
You Can't Kill the Metal
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ideally, I'd like to keep the Zzap guns way in the back, behind all my other Orks (providing a cover save). Or, in a perfect worls, on top of the roof of a building. I don't have my codex with me to check, but I *think* the best range I can get with the weaponry on a Kan is 24" (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
My main concern is if some outflanking/deepstriking/scout unit pops up in my deployment zone and ties up those guns... They're worthless at that point. Whereas the Kans can hold their own in an assault. The CC defence of Kans is great, but ideally I'm looking for a unit that can avoid CC and just pop transports and tanks from a distance (I have enough PKs in my list to take care of business when it gets up close and personal).
Are grotzooka's worth the points? Heavy 2 blast seems like it could be fun.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Nothing really can. For armor 14, you're going to have to use powerklaws and/or killa kans to peel them open. Shooting them down probably isn't going to happen, regardless of the gun you use.

Lootas, big gunz kannons, and killa kans w/kmbs are your best bet. Zzzzap guns just don't do enough, since they have limited range and no ability to deal with infantry. Kannons can fire as S8 or a S4 blast, making it the best option, in my opinion.

Lootas are great against transports, like rhinos and chimeras, and can easily turn the tide of the battle. Killa kans are great for marching in front, to lead the charge and deter your opponents from coming close, while shooting down a transport or two.

·
Registered
835 Posts
One thing I've done is put 3 rokkit boys in with each unit of boyz you have. This has the significant disadvantage of not being able to run and shoot, but it can add another layer of threat to your boyz and with a few units you can put the hurt on even heavier vehicles. Don't expect to fire all of them every turn, but they can be useful, especially if you've already conquered an objective. Also fits well with the tide theme.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I think he was referring to how if you're going with the Green Tide idea, you'd be wanting to Run your boyz mobs as much as possible so they can get to CC with the enemy. So if you have rokkit launchas you would have to forgo this extra 1-6 inches of movement.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Chatawax hit the nail on the head, you want to be running your boys a lot, so you'll be wasting a lot of potential rokkit shots, but it can work well with boyz sitting on objectives or even weakened mobz that you don't want to get wiped out who can sit in cover and rokkit

·
Registered
304 Posts
I like to use Rokkit Buggies, because they are faenough to flank around to the weaker sides of tanks, or alternativly, you could use a Looted Wagon with a Boomgun, because it gets 2D6 armor penatration even against a Monilith.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Boomguns are great, they also offer great conversion opportunities for the Warboss with too many bitz lying around. I've seen a "Looted Carnifex" floating around here somewhere, which was quite...something.

·
Registered
85 Posts
A lot of people dislike Zzap Guns but I have had pretty good success with them. There is the chance you roll a weak shot but you have pretty good odds of rolling something that can hurt just about anything under a Land Raider. You also have a 3 BS and potential re rolls. The re rolls are good because you have the opportunity to maximize your first turn of firing.

There is nothing in the Ork army that kills Land Raiders well. Tank Busta Bombs, a Weirdboy Power, PKs (on the charge from Nobs or not from a Boss but you are generally gonna have to roll a 6 to hit) Deff Rolla (if you allow it to work with Ramming, some do not), Zzap Guns, Shokk Attack Guns. None are safe ways to take out a big tank. I think many prefer different methods but IMO a Zzap gun unit is nice. at 36" range and AP2 they can be very good at taking out troops as well. Pick yer poison is how I think this works. I am no math man but I think if you calculated the odds on this stuff you would find they are all about as likely as the next at getting done what you need done.

·
1,053 Posts
I take Kans, Deff Dread, and the best anti-tank unit. Tank bustas with Tankhammers. Take you Tank Bustas in a Battlewagon with open top. Makes for a long bad day for the other side.

·
You Can't Kill the Metal
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For number of shots, range, point value, etc. I'm thinking that either Big Gun Kannons or Lootas would probably be the best choices. What do you guys think between these two?

·
You Can't Kill the Metal
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm gonna say Deff Rollas.. If you don't believe me, check the spanish FAQ
I think you're missing the point... I'm looking for a ranged anti-tank unit in a Green Tide list (no vehicles)... Althought it would be awesome to see a bunch of grots pushing a detached Deff Rolla.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts