Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey greater-gooders (yea i know...)

just talking to my tau friend, and i was wondering what you guys think the best unit for taking tau out is. i mean in general.

i was thinking either:

Grey Knight terminator squad w/ 2 psycannons (AP 4... good saves, awesome in CC, can deepstrike)

a Grey Knight Landraider crusader with psycannon bolts (TONS of Ap 4 shots)

or a full squad of Necron Destroyers

those were the ones i thought of off the top of my head, mainly because those are the ones of the 3 armies i play that are most useful against tau.

anyone agree or disagree strongly? state the unit in mind and why

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well, I don't see the relevence of the destroyers with the post, unless you also play necrons too.

The LRC will get blown up in a couple turns due to railguns.

THe GKT squad with 2 psycannons wil always serve you well. Against tau, I would not advise taking a Grand Master, but it's up to you.

What you really need is Imperial guard support. They are cheap cannon fodder, and you could take a Leman Russ.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry, yea i also play necrons.

why no grand master? the insta-kill possibility? or wat?

·
Registered
340 Posts
A necron player who usually play vs Tau

Inmortals and Wraith are impressive vs Tau. Inmortals take down FW easyly and Wraith can assault that damn suits although they hide behind terrain :).

In th other hand the scarab swarm are very usefull if you want to tie up suits.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Necron destroyers. Whirlwinds. Terminator command assault cannons. Necron Immortals. Fury of the ancients. Fear of the darkness. In that order.

·
Registered
664 Posts
the terminators will get owed by plasma

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'd say barrage ordinance would scare me the most if you could manage to hide it behind a building. If I couldnt get an angle with my Hammerheads, you'd pretty much force me to hold some helios in reserve and deep strike them for a shot on that thing, or charge up en masse behind some devilfish. Niether is very tempting, but my only other option would be ignore it and watch you shoot at my suits every turn. :(

Oh and supposedly Necrons own us.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'd say the same as marine_4_life... A devastator squad equipped with H-bolters is a cheap but great anti Firewarrior unit. Lots o' shots, good range and AP. A set of three topped with a Missilelauncher if there should come any uninvited Crisis suits. Or you could play 50/50 of ML and HB. That way they will be more all-around.

If you're going Brodside hunting your choise is Lascannons or Plasmacannons, L-cannons for sinlge unit brodsides and vehicles, and P-cannons for Brodside squads with more than one model *not counting drones*. But I would only take one in a small Tac squad per target.

This is just plain sence... this thread might be good for some but if you take a minute then all this is just plain maths where efficy meets cost and range.

·
Registered
19 Posts
the main army i fight is Gaurd, i have found that an infantry army, with lots of missile launchers and mortars and more men than should be aloud is rather tricky to beat. The best unit i have found to answer to an army such as this are stealth suits and a hammerhead with a railgun firing subumition rounds.

·
Master of Ownage
425 Posts
anything that can deepstrike, pin, then get into cc the next turn. once we get into cc, we are done

·
Registered
239 Posts
I happened to notice a Tau on Tau fight is really a challenge. I doubt it's the "best" anti-tau unit, but I say Tau vs Tau is pretty interesting.

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
Sir_Prometheus said:
Winged hive tyrant.
Yeah they are pretty mean, but my pet hate is Genestealers from the new nid codex with extended carapice, scuttle and fleet of claw, if your opponent takes 3 or 4 units of these you may as well just give up, they eat through everything and not just Tau.
4+ save, free move after setup and fllet = 2nd turn massacre of anything they reach and I mean anything.

·
1,256 Posts
I can't believe no one has said anything about death company; however it gets better when any blood angels assault troops (honour guard/Deathcompany) holds the Grail. A 12' move, 6' charge, and the abililty to consolidate up to 12" after wiping out your squad in CC...You can't even leave speed bumps because they have the possiblility of bumping up their speed. Plus they don't die to small arms fire because they either don't feel pain, or can ignore the first wound each turn (with the priest).

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
Sir_Prometheus said:
Those suck, but not so much as Tau. Tau run away and also ap4 templates. You know who genestealers piss off? my other army, GK.
Genestealers suck OK, I suppose you have never played a stealer heavy army played properly with support from the other Nid units, believe me when you do that 'Sucks' opinion will change very quickly, I should know I play both lists and the only army I really struggle against (even with 3 HH throwing subs templates around) is Stealer heavy fast nid lists (of which type my nid list is). Nid shooty list = no problem, nid hoard list = no problem 30+ Stealers with fast support = big problem for Tau.
But yeah I love playing Marines and Necrons with Stealers, 3+ armour may as well be tissue paper.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Sorry, i guess I wasn't clear, I mean "sucks to play against." But also, like I said, it's much worse playing them with my other army. I once played an ALL genestealer army (with two tyrants) as GK. That was horrific. Genestealers should not have a higher weapon "skill" than (&#T^&@@ Grand master!!!!! HE's THE $*)&^@#@ GRANDMASTER, DAMNIT!!!!

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
Sir_Prometheus said:
Sorry, i guess I wasn't clear, I mean "sucks to play against." But also, like I said, it's much worse playing them with my other army. I once played an ALL genestealer army (with two tyrants) as GK. That was horrific. Genestealers should not have a higher weapon "skill" than (&#T^&@@ Grand master!!!!! HE's THE $*)&^@#@ GRANDMASTER, DAMNIT!!!!
No fella it was my mistake sorry, I know what you mean bout the GK debacle though, I have a 2000pt nid list with 30+ Stealers, 6 Warriors, HT and Broodlord plus 30 Hormies and a Carnifex and it creams any Marine army, I have never lost any game pre or post new Nid codex against Marines with this list, in fact I cant get a game against Marine or Chaos players in my club or local GW with this nid list and against Tau (even with Skimmers) it is worse the Tau just fold.

Stealers dont just hurt Grandmasters they hurt anything.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would say from own experience, a 10-man Space Marine Assault squad with 1 flamer and 1 plasma pistol, melta bombs and Power-fist totin' Sgt.

I have literally pranced through 3-4 squads of fire warriors in a few game with this squad. Attach a Chaplain with jump pack and you can pretty much kiss all those Tau troops good-bye.:yes:

~~~No1:sleep:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts