Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Cheap and this hobby really don't fit together that well. Not to dissuade you or anything, you just have to be realistic at first that this hobby is not really for folks that want to pinch pennies, not to mention the additional unmentioned costs, Paint, brushes, glue, specialized hobby tools figure carriers etc. your best bet if you want to MINIMIZE expenses is to go for a low model count army, Space marines and their variants are fairly good for this. Imperial Guard and Tyranid most likely are the worst.

Any army CAN be competetive though, just have to get used to the quirks of the army and lose a few games before you start getting it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
You can't really choose an army on $$$ alone. You have to go to fluff, the look of them etc. But Space marines are pretty cheap. But try to look into the fluff and stuff before deciding ...

·
706 Posts
try necrons or space marines. The bare minimum for an army is one HQ and 2 Troops. BUT, as a warning, even those armies will cost you money, lets tabulate, shall we?

Codex Necrons/Space Marines----------20$
HQ Choice----------------------------15-20$
2 Troops Choices------------------------70$
Glue----------------------------------------4$
Paints-------------------------------------20$

---------------------------------------------
Total 129-134$
---------------------------------------------

So even if you choose a cheap army, your still in for a HUGE amount of spendage. this is an expensive hobby, but it is worth every penny.

·
Registered
327 Posts
(COUGH)

Rulebook $50

Dice ($5)

Templates ( $8 )

Brushes ($10 to $20)

Flocking and Basing materials ($10)

Time. (priceless)

more more more.

man this makes me thing about how much money I have spent..

ghaaa.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my brother has this game so i was wondering what army i could get thats good and not exensive like the daemonhunters or imperial guard

·
438 Posts
The cheapest army is the one you buy off ebay. Pick an army you like, and start watching what comes up for auction :)

Seriously, that's about it. Most of the hoard armies cost nearly the same as the marine. For $30 you get 8-10 marines, or you get 20 guardsmen, or you get 16 guants... they're all pretty close on cost to build an army. You want to go extra cheap, find battleforces. They basically give you a free unit in each one, and if you get them even cheaper on ebay, well it helps make the hobby more affordable.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Chaos Tzeentch can be very inexpensive. I've seen very competitive chaos armies with the mark of Tzeentch that have only about 30 models in an 1850 point list.

·
Tomb King
671 Posts
Knowing your budget and standards might help.
Ebay has great looking starter armies around 1500 pts for $200 USD. Or You can get 1000 points for $50 in various stages of painting and assembly.

·
438 Posts
Well, for a few examples here:

Retail prices in the US:
8 Chaos Space Marines = $25
5 Grey Knights = $30
20 Cadian shock troops = $35
10 Sisters of Battle = $35

Basic troops choice costs, no upgrades or sgts:
8 Chaos Space Marines = 112pts
5 Grey Knights = 125
20 Cadian Shock Troops = 120
10 Sisters of Battle = 110

Once you add in all the different upgrade options for each army you'll find they can all cost about the same. All you'd really be saving on is painting time. You still spend about the same cash for about the same points with any army you choose. Armies with bundle packages like Transport+Troop, Battleforce, or Megaforce, are the ones that can be cheaper by having those extra deals available.

Other then that, it's whatever you find on ebay, or a store's clearance shelves.

So my adivce remains:
Pick an army you like the look of the models.
Buy the codex, read through, and pick out a starting army of units.
Look for those units on ebay, or in bundle-deals, or both.

·
Registered
59 Posts
well i can't tell you if this is the cheapest route but i play necrons. this is what i bought
2 battle forces $160
1 foot lord - $15
1 dest lord- $25
2 Tomb spyders - $40
codex - $20
Glue, paint, carrying case, ect $60-$100 depending

That will give you around 1500 pts if i remeber correctly.

·
Registered
656 Posts
-most armies with very few models are made of metal, and are thus very expensive. also, try to avoid tanks, they are the worst points/money ratio

-necrons are your best bet, 2 battle forces and a lord is about 1350pts and is 170$

·
975 Posts
Dont be mislead by the cost of the boxes you see on the GW website what you are looking for is an army with the highest points to cost ratio. Well look to further than the necrons and chaos Box of necrons 30 and comes with 12 warriors and 3 scarab swarms so thats
18 *12 + 3 *7 = alot
and then there is chaos now true the box only comes with Eight but you can easily spend lots of POINTS making Terrifying characters and tooled up squad leaders not to mention giving units points.
However if you really want to go cheep Imperial guard (nonGW tank models are dirt cheap) and you can usually find GW tanks on sale at ebay for cheap.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have to go with Necrons. With the models I own, I can field 600-700 more points worth of Necrons than I can Imperial Guard, and I've spent twice as much on my Imperial Guard.

2 battle forces, a lord, and some heavy destroyers or immortals won't cost as much as many other armies, especially if you buy at a 20% off retailer or get good deals on ebay.

Even so, expect to spend at least $300 to even get started in this hobby.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I agree with Necrons.

They are very inexpensive, and they have other virtues. They are mostly plastic, you don't need many models and they are easy to paint (and easy for begginers).

Which is why they make a good "girlfriend" army.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.