Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, we all know that a Tomb King with DoE and CoS creates a killer combo, but what about the other gems possible in the Tomb Kings list? If you've got a good character build throw it up and give some kind of reason why. I'll open the discussion with a personal favorite.

Tomb Prince
Flail, Chariot, Light Armour and Shield
Collar of Shapesh, Icon of Rulership
191 pts
In a unit of two other chariots, the unit strength comes to a total of 11 which can be crucial at times, also the ability to switch over to a hand weapon in subsequent rounds of combat means a 3+ save in combat in addition to t4 and 3w. Alternatively the CoS can be swapped out for the Golden Eye if the CoS is on a King. As an added bonus, if you can place the Banner of the Undying Legion on the Prince's unit it has potential to be around for a long time.

Thoughts, comments and other character builds are welcome.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hi Harry, 4th post, welcome. Not trying to annoy, but you need a chariot unit of 3 as minimum, the princes chariot doesn't count towards minimum required unit size. prince is T5, also im pretty sure the armour save would be 4+, as theres no bonus for hand wepaon an shield when mounted, an TK chariots only provide a 6+ save. The prince also has to continue to use the weapon he started the combat with, so with the flail armour would be 5+.
That aside I quite like your build, though i'd probably lose icon of rulership for brooch of the desert, as TK always need help with magic defense.
I quite like a prince with flail of skulls on a chariot in a unit containing icon of the sacred eye. Get him in a challenge an murder you opponent with some tasty overkill. This should get you breaking units on the charge, which is what you need with chariots. This guy is also pretty nifty for taking out monsters.
The TK combo you mentioned is pretty standard, just team it up with some tomb guard with icon of rakaph and you'll have some fun.
I used to run a king on a chariot with scropion armour, spear of antarak and enchanted shield. He'd just charge into the enemies best units an hold them up forever, waiting for another unit of chariots to hit the flank an take them out. He did struggle against enemy characters though.
I've been experimenting with a king on chariot with blade of setep, enchanted shield, light armour and collar of shapesh, and vambrances of the sun recently. seems to work a treat.
I never run my heirophant without cloak of the dunes, he's just too valuable to be plodding around on movement 4.
an thats me...

·
Registered
157 Posts
My favourite build, for friendly games

Prince in a lone chariot
Flail, Light Armour, Chariot of Fire, and the chariot US +1 item (cant remember name)

He is a Suicidal Prince to take out things like Priests on Stegs, Lone weaker monsters
or as a Flank Charger, whatever i feel like
i dont really use him as a serious thing.

hes also great as a curse giver on if he dies to low LD things!

·
High Priest of LO
1,928 Posts
the chariot US +1 item (cant remember name)
Icon of Rulership, my friend! :)

However, I'll give my contribution too:

Fav Prince: Armour of the Ages, Vambraces of the Sun, Great Weapon

Char Prince: Chariot of Fire, Brooch of the Great Desert

Alt Prince: Death Mask of Kharnut, Vambraces of the Sun, Great Weapon

Fav King: Destroyer of Eternities, Collar of Shapesh

Char King: Icon of Rulership, Flail of Skulls, Chariot of Fire, Enchanted Shield

Alt King (1): Crook and Flail of Radiance, Vambraces of the Sun, Armour of the Ages

Alt King (2): Blade of Setep, Armour of the Ages, Vambraces of the Sun

Fav LP Hiero: Cloak of the Dunes, Hieratic Jar

Alt LP Hiero (1): Blue Khepra

Alt LP Hiero (2): Death Mask of Kharnut

Fav LHP Hiero: Neferra's Plaques of Mighty Incantations, Cloak of the Dunes, Blue Khepra

Alt LHP Hiero: Cloak of the Dunes, Neferra's Plaques of Mighty Incantations, 2x Dispel Scrolls

Fav Casket LP: Enkhil's Kanopi, Dispel Scroll

Alt Casket LP: Staff of Ravening

Fav Mounted LP: Staff of Ravening

Fav LP on foot: Blue Khepra/Death Mask of Kharnut/2x Dispel Scrolls

Fav Icon Bearer: Banner of the Hidden Dead (Heavy Horsemen hidden)

Alt Icon Bearer: Icon of Rakaph, Enchanted Shield

Guess that's all! :D

//Nagash

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
The builds i use regularly are (were? :S):

Tomb King w/ Golden Ankhra + GW
Tomb Prince w/ Collar of Shapesh + GW
Hierophant w/ Cloak of Dunes and Hieratic Jar
Priest... Nekkid :p

I always preferred to be minimal with magic items in order to save pts to fill out the rest of my army.

PS: Nagash, your last character listed is, i think, illigal as he cant have a banner and another magic item. Check it though, im not positive...

·
Registered
13 Posts
For my 2k army I almost always use...

Tomb King with DoE and Cloak of the Dunes
Tomb Prince with Chariot, Flail, Chariot of Fire
Liche Priest on Casket with Collar of Shapesh and Dispel Scroll
Liche Priest Mounted (Heirophant)

·
High Priest of LO
1,928 Posts
PS: Nagash, your last character listed is, i think, illigal as he cant have a banner and another magic item. Check it though, im not positive...
I haven't got the book with me right at the moment. But I'm pretty sure that he can be equipped up to 50 pts with anything, with ONLY banner/icon/standard if it exceeds these 50 :) Thanks for the correction though, I will doublecheck it this evening...

//Nagash

·
859 Posts
I thought the general rule for BSBs was they could only have a magical banner and not magical equipment - I presumed it was covered in the BRB but I could easily be mistaken. Now if only I could find it to check...

·
859 Posts
Nope, not in the BRB, guess it's by armybook ruling :D

Most of the new ones specify they can have a banner but may not take any other magical items alongside a magical banner, guess we're special until we get redone!

Then we hopefully will still be special. In a good way.

·
859 Posts
I think the Tomb Kings book is hiding under the bed

*dons potholing gear*

brb...

Aha, thre is a cheeky little hieroglyph right here

"Magic items to a maximum value of 50pts. Alternatively, he can choose a magic banner (no points limit)"

Looks like he'll abandon his shield to frolic with some shiny cloth instead I'm afraid.

[Edit] Curses! Pipped to the post.

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Actually having read the book, i think the IB IS legal...

As stated in the above two posts, i think i just had it remembered wrong. He can have A) Magic items up to 50pts OR B) Any banner with no pts limit. The Rakaph + Shield combo falls into catagory A, so its legal :)

·
High Priest of LO
1,928 Posts
Well, now as I think of it... It's legal :O

Magic Banners are magic items... As long as it doesn't exceeds the 50 pts, I'm pretty sure it's legal.

//Nagash

·
859 Posts
But it's magic items OR a magic banner, while theorhetically a magic banner is a magic item it still shunts the IB into the second group by having the banner.

By logic standards:
If IB has Banner - no point limit, no other items.
If IB !has Banner - 50pt limit, common and tomb king magic items.

It's an either/or option, not a potential for both.

·
High Priest of LO
1,928 Posts
It's an either/or option, not a potential for both.
I would interpret it, with book in hand, as a possibility to wield a banner AND another magic item as long as it does not exceed the 50 pts limit. If it does, ONLY banners are acceptable :)

//Nagash

1 - 20 of 75 Posts