Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Knights of the Blood Keep

Votes: 7 19.4%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there was a Tournament where you control a single unit of knights, which of these knights would you use?

·
Bearded Ninja
2,678 Posts
it generally depends on what kind of "best" we're looking for.

for example blood knights, while stat wise the most powerful in terms of attack are stupidly expensive and have significant drawbacks, they can be lured thanks to frenzy and they crumble like no tomorrow with their low leadership value. they are also VERY expensive points wise, only marked chosen are in the same points range.

Out of the three choices however... I’m quite torn. the knights of the blood keep are by far the most dangerous in terms of pure damage, but are slower than the grail knights and lack the "dead'ard" nature of chosen.

Grail knights after all sport magical attacks as well as being immune to psyc, all being champions and having the lance formation, gives them some significant advantages.

Knights of chaos have lots of versatility with the choice of the 4 marks as well as having the most survivability and staying power of any of the knights, they don't crumble or loose any hitting power in following turns. each mark has its downsides of course (mostly price in points though luring make khorne suffer) but still ;)

I reckon I’ll have to abstain

·
Registered
69 Posts
Grail Knights :

With a cheaper points cost Grail Knights can afford a few extra fighters for the same points that Chaos Chosen or Blood Knights would be able to get.

3-wide ranks give static CR that benefits the GK greatly when kills might not be enough.

Immune to Psychology and NOT frenzied allows you to control where the knights go, giving you time to remove road blocks using your sacrificial units rather than being baited into terrbile positions. The ItP is obviously handy when the enemy has panic-spell/items or nearby units flee or fear/terror units are in combat/nearby the knights.

Magical attacks easily kill magical beings when the other knights can't do this.

All WS 5 knights so no difference.

Multiple attacks 2 base on all types (frenzy is temporary and briefly gives 3 attacks for Khorne/Blood Knights)

Narrow frontage for easy charge paths between enemy units or joined with support charges by friendly units.

Ward saves give the Grail Knights amazing resilience against even the heaviest attacks.

I think overall Grail Knights have significant advantages over the other Knights.

·
A legend in my own mind.
1,480 Posts
I would go with Khorne knights. Chaos knights are bad enough as it is, but give them frezny? That only makes them more deadly.

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
I would go with Khorne knights. Chaos knights are bad enough as it is, but give them frezny? That only makes them more deadly.
Which is also their Achillies heel.

For me, Grail Knights are the best of the three. Strategos has outlined most of the points I would have raised. The main one for me though is the lack of frenzy. A seasoned player can lead frenzied knights around by the nose for most of the game. Grail Knights will do what you ask of them.

·
Bearded Ninja
2,678 Posts
That is a fair point actually. If we take saurus cavalry as our example they are a fair match for each of the above, be it only through their high number of good strength attacks. While lower (strength wise) than grail or blood knights they are a fair match for khorne knights and they happen to have the lovely charm of causing fear.

Worth considering

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
Chaos Chosen Knights are great- but ive voted Grail Knights- the fact that they all count as heros for challenges etc. just swings it for me.

·
Registered
943 Posts
If it was one single knight unit in a tourney that would a pretty dumb tourney ever seeing as it would take almost every aspect of the game out of it.

Anyway, Grail Knights are the best of the 3 because of their point cost, no frenzy, ward save, and combat res. However, Give me a unit of Inner circe empire knights or black knights over any of those choices. The empire knights can flee if things get too hot. the black knights are ethereal and have magical and kb weapons.

Imo Blood knights are one of the worst knight unights in the game because their is just a ridiculously small number of armies that have tools capable of easily dealing with them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This is a really hard question to answer unless you are doing it to a certain criteria like 'if you had 300 points to spend which one would you buy?' If this was the case then i would go for Grail Knights every time. As people have already mentioned great normal save and a ward save beats the other two as does the fact they are all hero's. Sure they don't have the initial punch of the other two but you can get a lot more of them on the table which i think in the long run will help a lot more.

I must admit I'm really not convinced by the KOBK as I do think that if you take them you are going to be sinking a huge % of your points on them and all it's going to take is a clever player with a ** points Eagle or equivalent to lead them around for the game. I think that we will see them used when VC armies first come out but then when the tournaments come out they will be dropped again for standard black Knights.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I must admit I'm really not convinced by the KOBK as I do think that if you take them you are going to be sinking a huge % of your points on them and all it's going to take is a clever player with a ** points Eagle or equivalent to lead them around for the game. I think that we will see them used when VC armies first come out but then when the tournaments come out they will be dropped again for standard black Knights.
Yor assessment is spot and I concur. Also their ridiculous points cost makes it insane to take the risk of whether yor opponent has an answer or not, almost all do.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I found one who would listen to my crazy request.

Oh, his DAve! Remeber how I had money save for vampires.... well now I play Drak Elves too... hehe.

I beat Grail Knights and Chosen Knights of Khorne. I lost against the Kn ights of the Blood keep though........

I vote Cold One Knights!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.