Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting a new IG army, after having played SM. I cannot decide which weapons to take in my heavy weapons squads. Is anyone able to inform me of the pros and cons of the weapons available, both in the teams and attached to infantry squads? Or if possible send me a link to a previous thread which explains it.

Praetor

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
Autocannons ftw. They're cheap, versatile, and don't require orders to be effective.

I would also accept lascannons if you can get them orders reliably (Kell, Com Lord).

MLs are too pricey and saddled with 1 shot at BS3 (LCs and ACs are better), HBs are inferior to ACs in every way that matters, and Mortars can be easily replaced by ordnance of any type.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Heavy weapon squads have low leadership and all 3 can be killed in a single lucky multi laser shot.

I would only ever use heavy weapon teams as a part of an infantry squad.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Heavy bolters are a good choice. They're effective against light vehicles and all infantry while still having a fairly low threat threat profile. Missile launchers work well too, particularly when firing three frag templates at a bunched-up enemy squad. Lascannons and mortars are the only bad choices. Lascans are too serious a threat to be wielded by such a weak unit and mortars are generally ineffective.

For infantry squads, I only use lascannons. My philosophy is that there isn't much I can do about my squad's accuracy, so I compensate by issuing guns that are big enough to kill whatever they eventually do hit.

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
Heavy Bolters are trash. They don't threaten light AV sufficiently, enemies in cover don't care about them (plus you can get better anti-infantry literally anywhere in the Codex), and they cost the same as autocannons. ACs simply do it better.

Same goes for ML, they're too general. 3 S4 small blasts? Just use any ordnance, mortars or massed fire. 3 S8 BS3 shots? ACs or LCs perform better against armor.

HWS are fragile, but if you take a good number of 'em (2+ at least) and stick them in cover you should be fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok thanks for the comments it looks like i will be fielding autocannons in my infantry squads (mayb one squad with lascannon)
but i still have 2 HWS tht i still havent assembled yet, am now thinking like this

lascanons- powerful, too many points for such a weak squad, too specialized
autocannons- powerful, not specialized but good against infantry + light vehicles, possibly too many can b a bad idea?
mortar- cheap(FREE), not powerful, much better things like it
h. bolter- good against infantry + relly light vehicles, cheap, too specialized
missile launcher- versatile, not really good at anything in particular, only 1 shot

so thts my inf. squads sorted out, but autocannons in HWS aswell? overkill or simply best option to take?

P.S. im guessing the IG autocannon is gd against infantry, and the SM one is good against tanks?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I generally would go with the autocannon- decent amount of shots, allright ap, gd range, pretty high strength (I use mine to dust enemy transports so my real powerful guns can shell the men who were previously inside their transport)

In HW squads, I'd gor for lascannons, provided you have a good command structure the yare deadly with bring it down :D

V.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@vengeance
isnt las cannons 20 pnts each so thts doubling the cost of the squad (now 120 )= bit of a waste for such a weak squad that can "be killed in a single lucky multi laser shot. from sonoftheemperor"

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
ACs are generally your best bet because they are so cheap and versatile. LCs work best when you have orders coming in reliably to make the most of them.

I wouldn't put LCs in a HWS unless you have lots and the necessary command structure to get the most of them (Kell, Lord Commissar). For roughly the same price, Vendettas just do a better job.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so i should put autocannons in all infantry squads , and have lascannons with a few auto in my HWS as i have voxs in all mi command squads

·
1,648 Posts
I am of the opinion that lascannons should probably stay in infantry squads. A combined squad of twenty guardsmen with 2 lascannons (maybe a commissar so they don't run away) is effective. I wouldn't put lascannons in heavy weapon squads, too expensive for such a vulnerable unit.

Autocannons can be in infantry squads or HWS (just take 2-4 of them to be sure you have enough surviving).

·
Experimental Strategist
185 Posts
Pros
High Damage output for points
Easy to hide due to small numbers
Long range means no much can fire back

Cons
2 wound T3 means S6 instant kills
LD7 means not reliable, will run when shot at.
No vox, no reliable orders
Easy killpoints

Good:
Autocannons
Mortars

Bad:
Heavy Bolters
Missile Launchers
Lascannons

Lets start with the good ones.

Autocannon:
48" Range, low threat profile. Eats transports and skimmers for lunch. Contributes wounds to high T stuff and can knock infantry around. They have never been shot at except at a tourney involving kill points by deep striking obliterators.

Mortars
48" Range and no line of sight required makes this the best of them all. 3 mortars can do a hell lot of wounds. Pinning is a bonus too! Low perceived threat. Always ignored. Easily the one unit that did most of the game winning damage.

Examples:
-Shot path finders in cover, panicked and ran off table.
-Fire warriors holding objectives, LD7 means pinned and running off table.
-Disembarked stuff hiding behind wreak.
-Deep striking stuff.
-Consolidated after combat stuff.
-Hoards absolutely hate it.

Bad ones

Heavy bolter
Short range means easy to be targeted. Not very effective against transports. They will die quickly and give kill point.

Missile launcher
Same benefits as autocannon but statistically cause less damage. Go for autocannons always.

Lascannon
Very good at killing stuff. The bane of enemy tanks. Extreme threat value. Used to run 2 in every game. Placed them so enemy have to be in open to get a shot at them. Took out tons of stuff every game. Needless to say, they are top priority after everyone in the gaming group tasted some Lascannon love. Usually first thing to get hit from then on. Run off the board when they get shot at.

Conclusion:
Use these configurations for best effect.
1. Autocannons, leave them in cover, no one will target them ever.
2. Mortars, behind cover, give one guy a window for line of sight. Never get shot.
3. 2 Lascannons, 1 Autocannon. If you really want to run it and need AT, do this and the wound allocation will let you take 3 wounds before losing a lascannon.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Actually, with the new Tyranids Missile Launchers got new life - they can ID Warriors and Shrikes (edit: And Zoanthropes, Venomthropes, Lictors, Raveners), bust most MC saves, and still have the template for swarms. If you don't face tyranids, go for the Autocannons. If you do face Tyranids, Missile Launchers can be an extremely valuable addition.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just a quick query I currently in my list have 3 infantry squads each with an Auto Cannon, would it be better to take it away from them and form a HWS? This would allow them to be more mobile but forces all 3 ACs to attack one unit...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
As I said earlier;

Heavy weapon squads have low leadership and all 3 can be killed in a single lucky multi laser shot.

I would only ever use heavy weapon teams as a part of an infantry squad.

Also as you said, it
forces all 3 ACs to attack one unit...
In what way would it make them more mobile? and why would you move a HWS with 3 autocannons unless you couldn't see anything?

SO... IMO I would say No. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I meant it would make the infantry squads more mobile (no heavy weapons to keep them down/no wasting shots by moving) with taking an autocannon its keeping my 30 infantry fairly stationary, so them being mobile is a plus :p

·
Experimental Strategist
185 Posts
One reason to keep infantry squads is to spam special weapons and power weapons.

3 squads is a nice number, give one sarge or 2 a power weapon, get 1 commissar with power weapon.

Load up with 3 melta guns. Now you have a self sufficient unit that can pop tanks, deal reliably with infantry, due to FRFSRF, if push comes to shove hold its own with the commissar and the power weapons.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts