Librarium Online Forums banner

Which Army is Best for an All Mechanized Strategy?

• Space Marines (and related factions)

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Daemon Hunters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Witch Hunters

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Chaos Space Marines

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Imperial Guard

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • Ork

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Tau

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Eldar

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • Dark Eldar

Votes: 10 21.3%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With 5th edition, mechanized armies (transports for most if not all units) have become all the rage. What do you feel is the best and/or most competitive mechanized army right now?

If you feel more than one is worth voting for, than vote for as many as you like.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Why aren't the necrons and tyranids there :p

I voted for dark eldars as they do have the fastest transports ever. Although they are made of cardboard...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Though I'm mostly a necron player, I reckon that most armies that uses rhinos as troop transports tend to be more effective, given the features of rhinos and the troops that they typically carry.

IG's chimeras are very effective with their multi-laser support but its a bit expensive to be fielding a chimera for every squad you have. And this only really works if you have 4+ squads disembarking at the frontlines.

Overall, I reckon the witchhunters have the best 'rhino-rush' ability due to the troops' low costs and 3+ saves in addition to potential flamer weapons on the rhino (I think...).

Just my thoughts on this.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I vote IG, my mate has a 2k list with something absurd ,like 14 chimeras, 3 LR, and 3 Vendettas. He wins by putting out just way too much armor for everyone to blow through. he barely has to move, the bum.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eh, I prefer rhinos and drop pods over chimeras. As it's already been mentioned, chimeras are just a bit too expensive for my tastes. However, you can cram a Space Marine, Wych hunter or Ork army with transports and still have a lot of points left over. Eldar mechanized armies are really good too, although they're expensive in points.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
For an all Mech strategy, I would have to say Sisters of Battle.

You get a troop choice that is not too expensive or too brittle and one that can deliver a huge punch with Faith in short range shooting. Sister play best in Mech list IMO, and don't play very well not in a Mech list. It isn't the most fun Mech list to play, as your options are limited to Exorcists, an odd immolator and then a whole bunch of exact squads of Sisters in Rhinos. Eldar have more interesting units, Guard have funner vehicles.

This was tough, because Eldar have the transports, Guard have the best tanks, Space Marines have most types of Transports, Choas have the toughest troops to transport......,

·
RAWR! KROXIGOR!!
1,935 Posts
Eh, I prefer rhinos and drop pods over chimeras. As it's already been mentioned, chimeras are just a bit too expensive for my tastes.
However... Compare;

180 points of Marines and a 35 point Rhino

100 points of IG Veterans and a 55 point Chim

• The Imperial Guard cost less (so get almost 3 Vet squads to 2 Marine squads).
  • The Imperial Guard have 3 special weapons while the Marines have 1
  • The Space Marine Squad have a heavy weapon, but the Chimera has 2
  • The Chimera has 5 firepoints, the Rhino has 2
  • The Chimera has AV12 vs the The Rhinos AV11

I think this is why the IG are winning the poll so convincingly.

It gets even stupider when you take into account Platoon Command Squads. 50 point command squad with 4 flamers in a 55 point chimera. Thats 5 flame templates (1 on the Chim) for 105 points. Then there are Pysker Battle Squads and Vendettas...

·
Registered
64 Posts
However... Compare;

180 points of Marines and a 35 point Rhino

100 points of IG Veterans and a 55 point Chim

• The Imperial Guard cost less (so get almost 3 Vet squads to 2 Marine squads).
  • The Imperial Guard have 3 special weapons while the Marines have 1
  • The Space Marine Squad have a heavy weapon, but the Chimera has 2
  • The Chimera has 5 firepoints, the Rhino has 2
  • The Chimera has AV12 vs the The Rhinos AV11
I think this is why the IG are winning the poll so convincingly.
/confirmed that this is the reason.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I voted IG. The Chimeras are my favourite transport in the game. Front armour 12, good shootiness and 5 fire points, they make one hell of a bunker, and they're not as expensive as some people keep saying... at least, not for what they do.

Also, I don't use my Vendettas for melta-drop, rather I play a ranged shooty army, so I just stick my excess troops (the base guard squads) in them and have them count as scoring units that can all-out move at end of game to claim an objective. Plus it keeps my guards out of harms way.

·
LO Zealot
1,982 Posts
Imperial Guard followed by Chaos followed by Space Marines

Imperial Guard offer all the tanks and are pretty much designed to be used as a mechanized army.

Chaos can run mechanized lists easily, I am not current with their codex but I remember the Iron Warriors being a great list for this.

Space Marines offer Techmarines, Land Raiders, and Dreadnaughts. Enough Said.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
DE or SoB

Both forces are each side of the same coin and are easily the most powerfull mech forces ever to grace the game since 3rd ed (coincidence that they are both 3rd ed codices? hmmmm).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts