Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best primer for our mini's here in the US, GW primer has ruined my last model and I'm switching. I tried an off the shelf primer but it was really thick compared to the GW stuff.

What are you guys in the states using? Rep if you can give me a brand and the store to find it!:dance:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been using "Rust-Oleum" Auto primer. It costs about 4$, but Its readily available at a Home Depot or Lowes. Covers real nice, and although the can says "Dark Grey" it is so close to black you won't notice.

Jake

·
King of the Burning Sands
1,258 Posts
Those are all good but I found the consistency of them to be bad overtime.

Army Painter Spray paint is great.

But if you don't care about the spray consistency all too much, go with Rust-oleum primier. Krylon is subpar for models IMO.

Be delicate with Rust-oleum though, very small sprays okay? That primer is meant to lay down a wicked thick coat.

Best spray paint I ever used however was an auto spray paint. It had an angled spraying nozzle. AMAZING how much that makes a different. Wish I could have found the brand again.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I use the "Army Painter" spray brand myself. I buy it at my local game store.. so I won't be able to give you advice on where to purhcase it.. unless you live in the Iowa City area.

I've tried "Boardroom Games" brand.. and it's awful. It's almost as if you're spraying your models with sheep's wool it's so thick.
The GW stuff is OK.. but.. why pay $12 for something that you can get at Lowe's for $6?

·
Master of the Universe
251 Posts
Army Painter is just awesome. Perfect coats every time, and they make colored primer if you want to use it as your base color. Cannot recommend it enough!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Army Painter is just awesome. Perfect coats every time, and they make colored primer if you want to use it as your base color. Cannot recommend it enough!
As stated above.. I agree.. until I had a problem last night.
I primed 2 wave serpents, 5 jetbikes, and 5 converted warlock/farseer jetbike riders with my Army Painter brand primer... and it cracked.. everywhere.

I made sure the can wasn't old, the can was at room temperature, the conditions for my priming were the same as always (insulated garage with a little space heater)... yet the paint cracked. Needless to say I need to strip the models and start again. If it were just a spot here and there I could paint over it and make it work.. but this is just.. bad. The only thing I can attribute to this issue.. is the weather dropped to 10-below last night.

·
King of the Burning Sands
1,258 Posts
sounds like a statistical problem dude, no all cans can be perfect.

i have three cans myself, three colors. none of have shown me this. by cracked, you mean the paint right? not the can?

asking cause you make it sound like the can explode or something

·
Registered
29 Posts
We use Armory white primer here. It's pretty good, not too thick, comes out evenly. I think you can get it at thewarstore.com for around 6.00

·
Master of the Universe
251 Posts
Wrekka,
I found this on house-painting-info.com:

"Applying paint in cold weather can have a similar effect and will drastically reduce the life of all paints. Typical effects of cold weather painting are sags, bubbling and cracks in the paint film as it freezes.

Most paint manufactures recommend 50 F degrees and rising but low temperature acrylic paints can be used down to 35 F degrees. Even oil base paints require decent temperatures."

10 below for paint is NOT A GOOD THING. Just throwing it out there. Maybe try and prime in better weather.

·
Registered
371 Posts
sounds like a statistical problem dude, no all cans can be perfect.

i have three cans myself, three colors. none of have shown me this. by cracked, you mean the paint right? not the can?

asking cause you make it sound like the can explode or something
Oh I definitely agree that it is a statistical problem. Sh!t happens :soldier: It was definitely the paint that had cracks, not the can.

Wrekka,
I found this on house-painting-info.com:

"Applying paint in cold weather can have a similar effect and will drastically reduce the life of all paints. Typical effects of cold weather painting are sags, bubbling and cracks in the paint film as it freezes.

Most paint manufactures recommend 50 F degrees and rising but low temperature acrylic paints can be used down to 35 F degrees. Even oil base paints require decent temperatures."

10 below for paint is NOT A GOOD THING. Just throwing it out there. Maybe try and prime in better weather.
Yeah... the problem with the area I live in.. it's either FREEZING or extremely humid... no 'great' priming conditions.. oh well.
I am certain that this situation was my fault after reviewing the whole scenario.
When I started priming these models, it was about 30ish degrees + space heater in my garage. When my wife came home from work, she turned off the space heater (she always does.. no problems there).. but, I left the models in the garage overnight.. when the temp dropped to 10-below.. ouch. Oh well.. lesson learned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Today i just bought and used this white primer named armory it was only seven bucks and put on a superb coat compared to the GW brand. The company is based in baltimore maryland.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts