Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best part or experience in 40k for you guys?

For me the best part of 40K are the outlandish rolls made in my favor, I dont have to win but the look on my oponents face when my Grand Master (HQ choice for DH) gets back up from bionics (old version) is priceless. The look on my face when someone did that to me twice in a row, horrible.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi JimiComix! For me, the visual imagery of the Sisters of Battle is the most thrilling. I love playing the game, but I love looking at the official art and some of the better fan art that really evokes the righteous holy purity of these saintly warrioresses! And the opening of the Sisters game of 'Soulstorm' where the Living Saint appears gives me shivers and thrills! Also, I don't paint well, so I really like seeing other people's paint jobs on Sisters models, so much talent on masterful sculptings:)

---Emperor bless and cherish you!
Frankie

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
Well, that is actually hard for me to answer.

In a shell, the best part of 40K for me is Necrons, head and shoulders above the rest. I'm not sure what it is about them, but I'll never give them up.

I'm curious as to what exactly you mean by "Best Part" are we talking favorite win? Comparing Fluff to gaming to hobbying? Or just generally what pleases us most out of anything therein?

On the table my favorite thing is when something completely rediculous and silly happens, something you can tell stories about that people actually are surprised by. Like when one tau gun drone defeats 10 Necron Immortals and a Necron Lord in assault, sends them fleeing of their table edge and phases the necrons, winning the game (not one of my proudest moments, but hilarious nonetheless).

Between Fluff, Hobbying and Gaming, I really just could not tell you which I prefer. Hobbying has a slight disadvantage because of the number of times I've had to fix my wraiths, but otherwise modeling and painting is a calming activity that I really should take more time for. The fluff and universe is greatly immersive and outright enjoyable. As for the gaming? Well when I get to play, I'm a happy camper indeed. So really that's just a toss up.

So it all really comes down to "favorite faction" for me, which is, as I stated, Necrons. However I must say I am drawn to every faction to some extent, each has it's own appeal, as well as it's own things I'm not as keen on.

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
Easy.
It's when all the things come together. When the model you've built and painted while giving a piece of background and personality (that no one else will ever know...sigh) fights in a game that brings the local fluff one step forth.
But since I very ralrely play I think the most honest answer is the building and converting.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
For me, it's the conversions. As an Ork and Chaos Daemons player, I've taken random bits bought in lots on ebay, and a ton of greenstuff, and combined both into towering vehicles and horrifying monsters. When you create something that's cool enough for anyone to appreciate, even if they've never heard of 40k, and that looks a lot better than what they sell at stores, you always have a good time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes i was just curious on what pleases other 40k players. Yes for me it doesnt get better than spending a few hours with great friends.

·
Registered
49 Posts
for me what i like the most is showing newbies how to play the game (which i just lost :p ) and how to have fun win or lose, and tell them about pros and cons for armies that they are interested in collecting

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
I like narrow victories - when it comes down to a last ditch push or holding them back for just one more turn! LOBBA players may notice this in my playstyle, as I do love the desperate gamble that shouldn't work but does just enough to keep me hoping :D

Basically I play for the adrenaline rush, if my hands aren't shaking the dice of their own accord one of us needs to step up their game.

·
609 Posts
Those battles that are so close that you are forced to do something crazy.

The cominations of units/powers you can use in weird ways to be effective. (single tank hunting deffkopta with buzzsaw, s7 attacks that auto-hit any tank on turn one if you get to go first, RAD)

·
Toy Soldier Aficionado
930 Posts
Charging a unit of Orks/Nids and knowing that it'll be ok!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Having my units performing the heroic cinematic acts. Like when my Librarian force weaponed a Trygon at the same time it was eating him. Or alternatively having a small unit of scouts holed up in cover getting surrounded by a mass of Hormagaunts and totally devoured. So I guess just anything that creates a cool image in my mind.

·
That Which Has No Time
1,451 Posts
It is the moments of awesomeness I enjoy.
The most recent was killing 51 of my opponent's 77 models in one shooting phase of a 1,500 points game and then realizing that I forgot to use my combi-flamers. But it can be anything: the pleased pride after you have assembled a range of new good-looking models, or the excitement of watching friends play each other in a tight battle, or the awkward moment of disbelief and amazement when the dice make one of your moves go horribly, horribly wrong, etc...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Settting up and letting my opponent seeing the sea of green that will soon be surging forth.
Also I love the games where something retarded happens and you talk about it for years ex.My buddies SW rhino running over Dante after I flubbed a roll for AP.

·
Registered
272 Posts
For me it's got to be those wtf moments, and the accompying look on my opponents face.

Happens alot with necrons :devil:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes those gaming situations are so fun just because of the expression of others faces... another part of this game i love are the conversions! its sweet when you make a unit or model thats very interesting. It took me 2 months to find the perfect hammer for my Hq's daemon hammer but well worth the wait.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, Im gonna assume you mean the 40K tabletop game.

The best part of 40K for me IS 40K. I love all the different aspects to the IP. The role-playing game (Dark Heresy), the video games (Dawn of War, Firewarrior, etc), tabletop game and the Gothic art style.

I also love a beautifully sculpted Chaos miniature ;)

·
Toy Soldier Aficionado
930 Posts
Those memorable moments... Like when my Rhino gets blown up by a sniper rifle, and I proceed to loose 5 of the 10 guys inside... And they get pinned. Its enough to drive a player mad!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Its just about everything about 40K that I enjoy. Even with necrons, I enjoy modelling them in different poses and doing conversions (irrespective of how minimal it may be).

But its the "Wow... I did not see that coming" factor on the opponents' part (and sometimes my part) and the "What the...? I just got completely screwed over in my dice rolls" on both my and the opponent's part. I always find that I good game is one where you have something to laugh at, at some point during the game.

Most recently, for me, it was the moment when my scarab swarms chewed up a valkyrie that my friend just bought and pitted for the first time. One that was moving flat out no less. It was kind of like taking a duck through the windshield.

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
In a shell, the best part of 40K for me is Necrons, head and shoulders above the rest. I'm not sure what it is about them, but I'll never give them up.
I can understand that, I think I'm the same way about Tyranids. I have always liked the bugs the most since back when I was a small boy in the days of yore (the 80's). I saw a pic of a Tyranid model in the 40K rulebook and I wanted more. Sadly I've never been able to get the model of that bug, I've never seen it on sale and it's very old, possibly a test model. Since then the bugs have always been my favourite. But I'm not entirely sure why, they are just my favourite.

I think second to that would be the modelling and painting, I have always liked messing about with the models.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.