Votes: 32 58.2%
  • Undivided Terminators, get that re-roll

Votes: 23 41.8%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im building up Chaos as my second army (tau) and Im wondering how I should kit out my terminators for 1,500pts.

I started with Slaanesh terminators cauz I thought it would be awsome to have high init. terminators and Slaanesh is my main theme but im leaning a little towards undivided now too?

Which do you think is best? Same points total.

Option 1:
Slaanesh Termies (x6 total)
Terminator Champion
-Pair of lightning claws
-S. Icon
Heavy Flamer
4 Combi-Plas.

-or-

Option 2:
Undivided Termies (x6 total)
Terminator Champion
-Powerfist
-U. Icon
-Heavy Flamer
5 Combi-Plas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Now, I haven't actually gotten a chance to play with this setup, so take my advice for what it's worth, but in theory at least I think I'd rather have the Icon of Slaanesh... A squad full of durable, I5 power weapons just sounds tasty to me, getting into CC with those guys would be pretty deadly :)

·
LO Zealot
1,883 Posts
Bottom line is that slaanesh does not do all that much for termis...

They are resilient enough that the extra point of I is really not needed. If you want to take a mark to help them in combat then go with the IoK for more power weapon attacks.

·
Woof! Woof! Bark! Bark!!!
913 Posts
The power of the Chaos terminator is the combi-weapon and the inexpensive points cost. Keep 'em cheap, especially at 1500. They are so good unmarked that it's a waste of points to mark them.

Remeber that the squad will always have all the big guns gun your enemy has shooting at them by the 2nd turn after they deep strike, you have to realize that our terminators are a surgical strike tool. Drop in, destroy enemy unit quickly, and then most likely get shot to pieces. Use this to your advantage! The turn that the enemy is concerned about killing your termies is a great time to have the rest of your army maneuver in a way the opposing general wasn't expecting... 8Y

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Well, with undivided they are less likely to run off when they got shot up, but I've always been a fan of NOT getting as shot up.

On that note, I usually field Tzeentch or occaisionally Nurgle Terminators. Sorry, I know that wasn't what you wanted to hear.

In a 1500 pt list though, you don't have much room to play with so I'd likely go for either undivided or no mark at all.

·
Registered
306 Posts
yeah and ini 5 power weapons really scrare your opponent. he'll hink twice before attacking them with his hq, cause he can't clear his killzone anymore to prevent beeing hit by power weapons, cause the attack simultaneously then.

·
King of the Burning Sands
1,258 Posts
Slannesh as a HQ/Char killer is a good idea, I'd go with 5 PWs and one PF or LC (swap them depending on enemy). I wouldn't worry about heavy weapons if thats their job. But if they are assault cover, then Heavy flamer is a great idea. Lightening claws would be good as well. Overall it would make a good squad for going after HQs and retinues.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Voting is still dead even at 16/16.

Kinda funny just how contentious this idea is. Guess it shows GW might have done a 'good' job this time balancing Chaos. You know, besides chaos spawn and posessed.

·
860 Posts
With the two choices you area asking about, I would use Slaaneshi terminators, making sure that one had a Chain Fist.

I use unmarked or Khorne terminators kitted out with:

- 1x TL-Bolter & Power Weapon <the first guy to get removed, hence no upgrades>
- 1x Combi-Plasmagun & Power Weapon
- 1x Combi-Plasmagun & Power Fist
- 2x pairs of Lightning Claws
- 1x Chainfist & Reaper

If you have the points to spare, Khorne certainly maximises their impact, and is extremely useful when bashing vehicles.

In the past I would have used an Aspiring with S5 Power Weapon. As they don't exist any more, I've had to revert to Lightning Claws to make sure I get a good amount of wounds.

Most of my opponents are MEQs by the way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
They way i run mine are as follows:

a squad of between 5 and 10. Norm 10 because A they are cheap and B it makes taking marks cheaper and worth while.

In the squad of 10 i have the 2 reaper auto cannons and on those models i also put 2 power fists (Cause i hate having to decide who gets taken off and this way ur special weapons will last till the end) and then i give the mark of tzeencth to make their invulenerable save 4+.

But if yr army is totally themed to slaanesh then maybe keep them that way.

·
Festo Diata
917 Posts
Icons are most effective in larger units, such as your 6 man unit of Terminators. The Icon of Slaanesh can prove to be a real dissuasion for the enemy if he thinks about charging your troops, especially if you have numbers on your side. I suggest the Icon of Slaanesh for the squad you presented.

To be honest with you, I personally would choose neither option..

Terminators are best used as late-arriving Fire Support, especially in the way of Combi-Weapons. As I'm sure you've probably heard elsewhere on this forum, Terminators using Deep Strike to fire their Combi-Plasmaguns is a deadly tactic. I think the key issue with Terminators is that they are able to Deep Strike, no matter what the mission parameters. This gives you a tremendous tactile edge. I use:

3 Terminators - 3 Combi-Melta

That's it. They are cheap enough to make a mistake with; if they succeed, they will toss the opponent's battle plan completely. Forcing your enemy to think on his feet with unexpected blows like that is often a game-winner, in my experience.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After further review, I've decided to go with a 'Karmoon Special', and if I really want some CC punch in that unit, Ill clear out 110 points and use the undivided unit as I'm really lacking any kind of powerfists. (As for my theme, I already have mixed slaanesh and undivided so they wont stick out.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.