Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd have to agree. Especially Zzap guns, those things are killer. 24" range (so it's not a dark reaper *phfff* big deal), automatically hits nething in its range, and has 2D6 strength. Sure it can overheat if you roll an 11 or 12 and kill a grot, but they're replaceable.

You are Chaos Undevided! You pledge allegiance to
no one. Though it's equally possible that you
just have a really hard time making up your
mind.

<font size="-1">Which Warhammer 40k Chaos God are You?</font>
<font size="-3">brought to you by Quizilla</font>

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Zzap gunz!
Therz good chance dat da gun will get dem nice duble fives or more and den da gun will turn any of da 'umie tanks inta slagg easily.
But den again it could get badder roll too...and dat aint good.
Dem lobbas is good to I thinks.
Just lobbin da bombs over da terrain and den just smashin into da poor 'umies dat 'appen to get in da way!

Cheers from da would be orc....

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have 3 Lobbas, got em from a bargain Dollar Tree store and converted em. They work fine on groups of infantry but otherwise better off with more rokkits.

WAAAGH! does a body good...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Big gunz are not a must. It depends on the army you are facing and I think gunz are more effective vs low armor troops. If you chose such an option, buy the full lot because anything less than 3 are going to be a waste of shooting (at least with 3 you can expect one hit a turn). As for wraithlords? Phhfffft...

My thoughts on wraithlords from a previous post...

One last bit of advice, Wraithlords... just ignore em. Keep your units out of charge range and ignore them. They are unit killers if they get troops into HTH (no way to kill them and once in HTH it never breaks = one orc unit you can write off). Use your limited firepower to hit units you can hurt. And not to mention, ignoring them drives your opponent crazy.

True story here. An eldar player was flabbergasted that I was trying to shoot a wave serpent with my boy's rocket launcher, ignoring the wraithlord nearby (he saw what might happen also). I ignored his question of "Why are you shooting at that serpent when you should be trying to damage my Wraithlord?", and promptly got an immobilized result crashing his serpent (I guess he did not bother with the upgrades). Lucky rolls can make the game, but maximize your firepower on units you can hurt.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was thinking of buying a unit of three zzap gunz
Yes, they are effective at hitting armor. But the 24" range is a bit short for heavy support that is pretty much a 'static' unit. It's a heavy weapon, so moving and firing are not an effective option. I like the zap guns on units that can move and fire like battlewagons (maybe dreads also).

I like Kannons. To me they have a bit further reach (36") and are more versatile. Against vehicles they are a tad sub-par over zap guns because you have to roll to hit. But with a full unit of three, you can pretty much expect one to hit at a gaurenteed strength of 8, not to mention ordnance effects (basically doubles the chance you have at destroying a vehicle). Against troops, they use the smaller template but are even more effective as they use the ordnance rules (guess range and then roll the hit/scatter die).

In either case, I would also add a few crew members to help in absorbing any shooting hits or bad ork shooting rolls.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Zzap Gunz have always been my favourite Big Gun. As ever, I'm not really sure why. I guess it's because they are just so Orky: "Hit it and hope it workz". :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
However, I still want some of the second edition Big Gunz back. I'm not content with splatting Grotz when my weapon goes wrong, I wanna splat Snotz against the enemy when it goes right!!!

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Just a little note: if someone does, don't post stats/rules. Yes they're from a previous edition, but it's still copyrighted.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Look for a second edition codex on eBay.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think big gunz kinda stink.. There REALLY easy to blow up(Even with a mek in the squad) And the are REALLY vunerable to assualt... The only time I would EVER use them would be when your defending.. Having three lobba shoots hitting an enemy works well... And maybe when you attack... But I dought you could get a Zapp gun into a good place to kill when your facing IG. lol Or even space marines... Or any other tanky army.. (THe only one I'de EVER use would be Lobbas)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by hishamEQ@Sep 24 2003, 15:00

One last bit of advice, Wraithlords... just ignore em. Keep your units out of charge range and ignore them.
It's hard to ignore an enemy that has so much firepower, though. Three shots from some fairly powerful weapons if he stands still, two if moving... Now the Avatar... he can be ignored, as he has nothing but HtH. Then again, he'll go down under the green tide anyway. ;)

Wraithlords fall fairly quickly to a squad of Mega-armourd warboss and nobs. the armour save keeps them healthy, and the power klaw makes short work of the WL.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.