Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So dudes, I need to share this because it is totally awesome.

A while back I wrote up a somewhat wordy backstory to my ork army, and slapped it up on The Warforge.

A dude named Zsoulless has been posting at The Waaagh for a while now and started posting some completely, ridiculously awesome Ork art that hes been doing in his free time.

Kaptin Badrukk, the meanest Flash Git in da 'ooniverse.'
(Click to see bigger)

The artist's personal Big Mek art for his army.
(Click to see bigger)

I sent him a PM asking if he did commissions, and he asked what I had in mind. I pitched my ideas at him. In my backstory, I laid out a number of orky characters that are in my army: Wurrzag da Weird, the feral-esque Warphead, Booma da Big Mek, the chief architect of all things explosive and stompy, and Warboss Gargrim "'Uge'" Mungus, a massive ork warlord who has an unusual fondness for grots.

He said he had been looking for a couple neat ideas to draw out, and after a bit of discussion where I explained a couple facets of the characters that I hadn't yet written out, he started drawing. He did a general rough sketch of Gargrim, but that's not what I want to show you guys. See, he's started drawing out Big Mek Booma, and oh man is it awesome.

(Click to see bigger)

I just think it's amazing to see a character I imagined up rendered like this.

That's Booma with his signature weapon, da Boomhamma, a bionic arm, and a Kustom Force Field generator. It's still a work in progress, but holy crap guys, tell me this isn't the coolest thing. When he's done, he's given me permission to ink the thing and color it in. While I have no artistic talents as far as illustration goes, I can certainly wield photoshop well enough to manage that.

I get inspired by good artwork, and this is one hell of a kick in the ass to actually build a proper Big Mek model to represent Booma. That little project has rocketed it's way up to the top of my to-do list! I'm going to try and model as closely to his art as I can within reasonably boundaries.

That bionic arm is going to be one heck of a fun job. I'm mirroring the image for the purposes of modelling because the big mek arm I have holding the handle is on the right side, so Booma's model is going to have the bionic arm on his left side. I'll just flip the image when he's done drawing.

I expect this to take me a while, as I do intend on sculpting a decent amount on this model so I can do the art justice.

·
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

This was a sketch I got today, and I think I like it. I popped the hubs off the heads of the hammer and I had to putty the surface back over again so that it'll be smooth, but what I'm going to end up doing is adding a riveted outer ring with glyphs on the faces inside the ring - one will be of Gork, the other side will have Mork.

Have to wait till the putty dries tomorrow to pull that off, unfortunately, but I've been killing time with a couple other projects while I wait.

·
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man oh man. Working on the head of this hammer has been some of the fiddliest scratchbuilding I've ever had to do, particularly that glyph, but I think I really like this more than the other designs. This is the 'gork' side - the 'mork' glyph will go on the opposite end when I get a proper chance to do it.

Also, I sculpted booma a larger tooth to match the art. :p

·
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My last little bit before I call it a night with this:

The 'gork' glyph is on the front, the 'mork' glyph is on the back. I hole-punched a bit of plastic styrene to fit inside the ring so it would push the glyphs out from the hammer face a bit better.

Anyway, there you have it. The Boomahamma is mostly done - the bionic arm is probably next.

·
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, I had grand designs of coming home on Thursday and jumping right into modelling Booma but of course the teensy, weensy fact that it is Valentines day threw a wrench into that. Add onto that the fact that I have been enlisted to fix my father's ailing computer and I didn't find myself with much free time today.

Despite this, I have something I thought I might post. See, I found a rather nifty bit a while back. It comes from a miniature model line called Demonblade, which produced some rather unusual models until Games Workshop shut it down for copyright infringement. The Demonblade models had an 'orky' line that had a fair bit of crossover with GW's old second edition ork designs.

I managed to pick up a couple Demonblade minis off ebay with the intent of maybe mixing their parts discreetly in with the rest of my boyz, and this bit caught my attention right away. It's a completely bionic left arm!

I have been saving this for some time now with the mentality that perhaps it would look good on a Nob or what have you, but it seems to fit Booma fairly nicely.

Now! With that said, I want to make one thing clear: I do still intend on trying to scratchbuild Booma a proper styrene arm to match the phenomenal art that Zsoulless has been creating. The only reason I am showing photos of this other arm is because it will serve as a plan B of sorts. If I find that I simply can't scratchbuild such a small, fiddly little detail, this bit will serve as a backup way to actually finish Booma's model and get it on the table.

Having said that, I think I'm going to head off to bed so that I can wake up bright and early tomorrow morning and contemplate how I'm possibly going to build such tiny fingers.

·
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I spent some time this morning struggling with manufacturing a bionic arm and man, this is not easy. It's all to do with the scale of the thing - if I could be like Games Workshop and make all of the original models at 3x the size, I would be set, but unfortunately I have to suffer through these attempts.

The little bit you're about to see is actually my third attempt, as arm number one was far too long and was hitting the ground even without a hand attached to it, and arm number two got glued to my desk in a moment of carelessness. :p

Anyway, here's the gist of it. I put a terminator hand on the stump for the time being both to get an idea of how long the finished arm should be, and because for the life of me I don't think I can build fingers that small. I tried - pins, paperclips, styrene, everything is too fiddly and flimsy!

The coily spring things in his wrist are some little fiddly roller part I found inside an old laser printer that I took apart a while back. I like the way they look, but they're such a pain in the ass to work with and I have a feeling that after priming they'll look like rubbish because the 'ribbing' is so small.

Personally? That other metal arm is looking better and better as I try this. Still, I figure it doesn't hurt to post the work up.

·
Scenery Shogun
917 Posts
Agreed with gaunt.
This is a very impressive model andI can't wait to see some green on this boy.

Side question: Where are the "cogs" or gears from the hammer head from?

·
Lord of Purple
933 Posts
This model is awesome ;). That hammer looks great and really orky, which it should really considering its an ork weapon :p. Also loving those artworks ;?. Looking forward to seeing this guy painted!

·
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In the spirit of compromise, I hacked the hand off my metal arm bit and placed it on the wrist of the arm I have been scratchbuilding in the hopes that maybe it would solve my hand dilemma. I realize the forearm is a bit longer than I might otherwise want it to be, but it's not possible to shorten it very easily right now, and I made it the size I did so that I could cram detail onto the curved areas when I got to that step.

Edit: I take that back, as well. I shortened the forearm up a bit and it's shaping up a bit better now. I'm going to use that metal hand bit I hacked off the other arm... but first I think I might cast myself a copy. :)

·
No King Rules Forever
284 Posts
Please keep on putting up pictures...this is just too cool! Magnificent work!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts