Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realised that a squadron of attack bikes make almost perfect tank killers. At 65 points each they are (theoretically at least) brilliant at destroying vehicles many times their cost. Think about it: they move 12" a turn and still fire their MMs and their twin linked bolters (not much good against tanks but you might want them to target something else before/after) or move 24" and not shoot, they have a 66% chance of hitting with their MMs and a great chance of killing what htey shoot at. If I've got my calculations right (I might not, maths isn't my strong point) a squad of 3 costing 195 points has a 95% chance of getting a penetrating hit on a land raider so therefore a 47.5 % chance to destroy it. Sounds decent to me ( I used land raiders because they're the toughest tanks I can think of/have stats for)

Any thoughts? and does anyone ever use this?

Edit, sorry those calculations were based on being within 12".

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I agree with you they are great tank killers. the only problem is you will need to give the targeted tank something else to shoot at while your bikes move in. lest THEY be shot.
the other tactic would be to turboboost 24" to get them somewhere NEAR the tank but behind cover. so they wotn be shot and even if they ARE they have a 3+ invulnerable save. then next turn simply move out 6"(or 12" or whatever it is) to the tank and BAM..

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have had similar thoughts, but with normal bikes. 3 bikes with 2 melta guns (and melta bombs if they miss) comes in at under 100 points. If you are feeling brave you could add another bike and make a Vet Serg with a powerfist. Nasty...
I have tried this, but I didn't face any armour for a few games, and these bikes certainly don't get their points back against troops.

RoV

·
Registered
56 Posts
DA_recruit said:
I agree with you they are great tank killers. the only problem is you will need to give the targeted tank something else to shoot at while your bikes move in. lest THEY be shot.
the other tactic would be to turboboost 24" to get them somewhere NEAR the tank but behind cover. so they wotn be shot and even if they ARE they have a 3+ invulnerable save. then next turn simply move out 6"(or 12" or whatever it is) to the tank and BAM..
Where in the Codec do I see that the Attack Bike has Invulnerable 3+. I'm new to 40K and WH so please help me :) Thanks!

·
Registered
655 Posts
I've run a similar squad with my Black Templars, three regular bikes with meltaguns, and they've done well for me. They can make the enemy nervous, and if you can force your opponent to shoot at you with a few squads, the 126 points paid are well worth it.

You want to make sure all, or at least most, of your army is going to be saying hi very quickly however. If the bike is the only threat you present after your first turn, it's going to go poof and not really do you much good. Toss in a Vindicator, a pair of Rhinos, and an LRC full of angry Templars however, and stuff is getting through unless you're facing an exceptionally shoot-tastic army.

·
Registered
723 Posts
the best way to use this is use 2 bikes and 1 attack bike so you get 2 bike meltagun shots and a multimelta shot. that's alot cheaper, and very effective.

·
Registered
48 Posts
cdnbacon said:
Where in the Codec do I see that the Attack Bike has Invulnerable 3+. I'm new to 40K and WH so please help me :) Thanks!
There is a special rule for bikes that is called turbo boost. It allows the bike to move 24in. in one turn and the bike's save becomes invulnerable due to it moving at high speed. The down side is that the bikes are not able to shoot or assault in the same turn that they turbo boost. Check the bike entry in the main rulebook for any further information.

With respect to the original post, attack bikes or normal bikes can make excellent tank killer. As mentioned first turn turbo boost them into a good position to set up for an attack on a tank for your next turn. I would not rely on them as your main antitank unit but instead use them as a secondary support unit to crack those tough tanks. In other have some other unit that pose a threat to the enemy tanks so they are forced to make a choice. That is were the cheaper bike squad can help.

Just my thoughts...

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
I love bikes and I occasionally field a full bike squad of 5 with an attack bike. Two of the bikers have meltaguns and the attack bike has a multi-melta. They wreak havoc on tanks. It's a fine tactic but as stated you will need to protect them.
They are great tank killers though, and their twin-linked bolters are exellent against lighter armoured infantry.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Bikes are great and all, but c'mon when are you going to drive up your attack bikes 12" from the enemy.
Personally I rarely field bikes. When I'm playing a battle that uses vistory points, and my oppenent is using bikes; They are usually one of my primary targets, simply because they reward me with plenty victory points and are actually quite easy to kill (unless they use turbo boost)!

HPA

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
It's a question of using them right. I never plow my bikes up through the centre of the battlefield in a hail of enemy fire. They should be used as sneaky flanking units that strike suddenly. Don't count on them to win a battle but they can be a nasty surprise for the enemy.

·
Ghost of LO
3,861 Posts
A single 65 point land speeder can easily whipe out a landraider. It depends on your playing style really, however attack bikes will easily go down to MLs and other Strenth 8 weapons, which will plauge you, since most tanks arent over 200 points.

I think if you really want to take attack bikes, use only 2. The squad can stay out LOS easer that way.

2 melta guns shoot at half range: 66% of them hitting, so 1 hit. Armour pen: 50% chance of penetrating a landraider, 50% chance of destroying it.

You have a 33% chance of destorying the tank.

However, Dice average a roll 7, because of this, you have a slightly better chance of actually destorying the tank, which, without further statics knowlege i cannot predict for you

Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts