Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok everyone

I did it.

For my stellar 1st semester performance in law school i got myself a tyranid battleforce.

Ive collected over the years random nid stuff.

I have now 26 gaunts (of sorts)
16 hormogaunts, scything, leaping, and adrenalized.
a CC nightmare carni (crush claws scything talons, tusked, mace tail, adrenal gland (WS)

6 warriors (3 with VC SC) (3 with RC SC leaping and ad glands)

30 genestealers 8 with rending extended carapace and scything a couple tentacle feeders, and 6 with RC; the others arent yet made.

What else should i get.

(i have the dex already, ive read it as well, I want opinions, not "go read the dex")

·
The Love Muffin
1,830 Posts
Sadly enough, if you read the codex, you should know what you want to feild.

Noone can really tell you what to get or not get, you should get whatever fits your style of play.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Shooty fex's are pretty good.
Gunfex - VC, BS, ES, +1save +1wound (vary biomporphs for points)
Dakka fex - 2XTL devourers, ES 113pts (good elite fex)

BUt as Black Katalyst said, no one can tell you what get. Get things you like painting, building and playing.

P.S. Read the dex. Lol just kidden. :p

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i really like the high amount of stealers i have and would love to field more. I play IG originally and dabbled into other armies, so nids are a new idea to me. I think i may be shooting myself in the foot by using the genestealers so pervasively, as each loss of a guy is at a minimum a 16 pt loss.

What do you guys think of a spinegaunt unit, maxed out? Ive heard this makes a great meat shield.

As for fex's; my next purchase will hopefully be a gunfex and a broodlord. (after i finish this stuff, sometime this summer maybe november (i have a LOT to do besides this stuff, sad :()

What do u guys think of barbed stranglers?

·
Supreme Evil Overlord
4,873 Posts
It's one of the best way to tackle large numbers of models, mounting it on the carnifex the BS is a superb weapon.
If your gonna face Orks/IG/Eldar/DE/Nids it's a good weapon to have.

·
Registered
70 Posts
How many points do you need/want?

Get another battleforce, more gaunts/stealers/warriors and free fex are great.

A Broodlord will make his points back pretty quickly once he gets into CC. Winged Tyrants are great, if a little expensive point/$$ wise.

Stay away from Biovores, fexes are better, Zoans are good too.

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
You could get a BroodLord and retinue of genestealers if you really like genestealers ;) A flying Hive Tyrant is pretty good. I'd get some zoanthropes for synapes help. Otherwise its mostly personal taste and what units you like. Maybe try proxying some units and see what you like!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how would i convert the box of gaunts i have to all hormogaunts? is that a good idea?

·
Registered
670 Posts
As i play more and more games, i kinda prefer spineguants over hormagaunts, just because of their numbers. I find hormagaunts struggle to damage marines, and their extra speed usually means they get to the enemy by themselves. So even if i was to slow them down it would almost be better for spinegaunts, but that's just me.

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
I prefer Hormagaunts to Gaunts. Why?

First off the rest of my army is just as fast if not faster then hormagaunts. I have DSing Ravaners, DSing Lictors, Flying Hive Tyrant, Winged Warriors, Beasts, etc. Really the only slow thing in my army is my shooty Carnifex.

I usually just use my Gaunts as meat sheilds for my Hormies because my Hormagaunts (hormies) usually do pretty good in close combat. I usually keep my Hormagaunts under 15 pts a peice so they're fine for me. I usually only field 16 anyway as I prefer Genestealers which are pretty effective for me.

Hormagaunts are also real customizable for close combat with all the biomorphs.

I personally prefer Hormagaunts and think that it'd be a good idea to convert some of them. I'd leave at least a squad of 12-16 gaunts as regular gaunts for meat shields and you could give them fleshborer's or spinefist's to add an extra punch when they get up close if they survive being meatsheilds.

Of course its all up to you. It's your choice if you want to convert your gaunts to hormagaunts. All im providing is my opinion which you can feel free to ignore.

Ben

·
Registered
302 Posts
Deltaguard1894 said:
I have now 26 gaunts (of sorts)
16 hormogaunts, scything, leaping, and adrenalized.
This is a good number of gaunts. Hopefully they are spinegaunts or termagaunts.

Deltaguard1894 said:
a CC nightmare carni (crush claws scything talons, tusked, mace tail, adrenal gland (WS)
Sorry to say that CC 'fexs just don't make the grade. Change it to either a Dakkafex (ES, 2x Dev) or a Gunfex (VC, BS, ES, Reinforced Chitin).

Deltaguard1894 said:
6 warriors (3 with VC SC) (3 with RC SC leaping and ad glands)
CC warriors are excellent. Shooty warrior don't make the grade.

Deltaguard1894 said:
30 genestealers 8 with rending extended carapace and scything a couple tentacle feeders, and 6 with RC; the others arent yet made.
Genestealers are excellent. The extended carapace is an almost mandatory biomorph to beat AP 5 weapons. Feeder tendrils are cheap & can help your gaunts. Ditch the ST they are too expensive.

Deltaguard1894 said:
What else should i get.

(i have the dex already, ive read it as well, I want opinions, not "go read the dex")
You have a solid core of units. You are low on synapse creatures. I recomend about 1 synapse creature per 500 points plus a spare. With the large number of 'stealers you have a Broodlord looks like a good buy. Where you go from here is personal preference and what opponents you need to deal with. A walking Tyrant with Gaurds is an easier & cheaper option to a Fly Tyrant. You could throw in a Lictor or Zoanthrope for fun.

:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts