Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Has a monkey!
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And guess what the topic is? I'll give you a hint: They're eight feet tall, spit acid, and use semiautomatic rocket-propelled grenade launchers with armor piercing tips and mass reactive warheads.

Link.

I think this goes hereabouts anyway.:rofl

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts
Wow, thanks for the heads up, I would love to get in on this one. I am sure I'm in complete fantasy mode - but I'd love to get a published 40K story out there. Although I never have seen these anthology things in stores, nor can I find them one the BL website. Anybody know what the issue is?

·
Formerly BrotherAzriel
2,373 Posts
The last one was called "crucible of War" if i am not mistaken (bt i may be)

Id like to enter but i just dont have the time to wright, i barely have enough time for modeling and gameing!!

·
It's what's for dinner
1,284 Posts
Great link Imerialis, I know I'm entering. I think I have just the story too... MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!:D

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts
Perhaps we could organize a thread where we can critique eachother's fluff stuff to prepare for the competition. What would you guys think about that? Hm...maybe I'll just do that.....

EDIT: After thinking about it, I think I will run a thread to help us all sort through ideas and such for our stories for this, but I've love some ideas on how to structure it, how to make it all work?

·
Has a monkey!
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Careful though, I think BL has some sort of policy when it comes to posting stuff online before they publish it. Or something. Can't remember exactly what. Might need to look that up.

EDIT: I suppose we could just do a 'what are you writing for the BL comp?' thread. We could discuss outlines and stuff; maybe send drafts around. Let me know when you start that thread up, I'd be interested.

·
1,065 Posts
this is great! but i think making a thread dedicated to help us with our story is a awsome idea too! Emperor know's i need help with my third/first person off shootiness.:X

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts
Well, I don't think we'll have any issues with the first round of entries, as we don't have a full story. If any of us get to the second round where we write a full manuscript, then maybe we can slap a copyright on it so that no one can take it and give BL any problems later on.

I think the general format will be submit your contest entries to me, then I'll post one each day so that everyone in the the thread can have a day for people to revise just their story. Any thoughts?

·
Always Fabulous
1,742 Posts
That sounds like a good idea. I think that could be done more easily for concepts than actual stories and then we could leave general hints for people as to what kind of stuff they should include. I know I'm entering once I'm done with these grox-cursed essays. Don't mind that it's about Space Marines, probably my best subject.

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
It's good to see BL doing this, as GW rarely asks for fan input. I wish BL would do an artbook competition! :)

·
Has a monkey!
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha. Great story, I came up with a novel sized tale about a Lord taking the final steps to Daemonhood while contemplating thoughts and conflicts with his former Legion. But as luck would have it, it turned out to be far too big for a 7000 word work. So, I was thinking on what I'd like to write about.

Went from large to small, like this.

1. Traitors. I think they are more interesting in some ways, and also less people will write about them (that's the practical system-abusing bastard side of me talking).

2. Legions. Gotta have the original, none of these Johnny-come-latelys.

3. One of the following: World Eaters, Word Bearers, Thousand Sons, the Raptor Cult.

So, on #3, anyone feel like suggesting which one? Not asking for a plot or anything, just a topic. I'm at a loss, they all have such great potential.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Haha. Great story, I came up with a novel sized tale about a Lord taking the final steps to Daemonhood while contemplating thoughts and conflicts with his former Legion. But as luck would have it, it turned out to be far too big for a 7000 word work. So, I was thinking on what I'd like to write about.

Went from large to small, like this.

1. Traitors. I think they are more interesting in some ways, and also less people will write about them (that's the practical system-abusing bastard side of me talking).

2. Legions. Gotta have the original, none of these Johnny-come-latelys.

3. One of the following: World Eaters, Word Bearers, Thousand Sons, the Raptor Cult.

So, on #3, anyone feel like suggesting which one? Not asking for a plot or anything, just a topic. I'm at a loss, they all have such great potential.
I would suggest Word Bearers or Thousand Sons, I've always liked stories about the Bloodthirsty
Khornies and the Suits. Really it depends on what your going for, do you want to write about bloodthirsting warriors who rage into battle hacking their opponents apart as the greatest warriors in the galaxy, or do you want to write about mysterious Eldritch powers and epic plans that encompass millenia, filled with ancient lore and long-forgotten texts, or something else entirely.

·
Always Fabulous
1,742 Posts
I'm working on a Thousand Sons story concept right now actually. I think I will enter it, but I still need to think of the concept...my brain seems to have hit a stumbling block at the moment.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If I enter I'll probably write a story 'bout my own renegade chapter, the Watchers of Chaos.

·
Has a monkey!
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I enter I'll probably write a story 'bout my own renegade chapter, the Watchers of Chaos.
Ah. Unfortunately, BL stipulates that they want stories about Chapters/Legions/Renegades already in the fluff- I think it's somewhere in the middle of the announcement.

I would suggest Word Bearers or Thousand Sons, I've always liked stories about the Bloodthirsty
Khornies and the Suits. Really it depends on what your going for, do you want to write about bloodthirsting warriors who rage into battle hacking their opponents apart as the greatest warriors in the galaxy, or do you want to write about mysterious Eldritch powers and epic plans that encompass millenia, filled with ancient lore and long-forgotten texts, or something else entirely.
By Word Bearers, you mean World Eaters? As in the Khornates.

Unfortunately, I've run a few ideas by and I think I'm going to be going for the Word Bearers. World Eaters I'm saving for a different story and Thousand Sons are a Legion I don't feel I have a feel for right now. Not to mention I would need more background info.

Guys I have gone ahead and started a thread for this kind of thing, if any of you are interested. Check it out - here!
Will do. See you there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Alright, a Space Marine book! I sure am glad that we're finally getting some fluff for that army, they have almost no background!

Honestly, there's an entire galaxy of different organizations, factions, planets, and armies to write stories for and 90% of all fluff is about space marines. Whether you like space marines or not, it really is a shame that so many interesting subjects get such short thrift. Let's look at two of the most prolific organs in the Imperium, far more prolific than marines, and see how much fluff there is for them. First, the Arbites. There is an Arbites precinct on EVERY PLANET IN THE IMPERIUM! Except for their use as handy cannon fodder in other stories, there are only three stories that I know of that focus whoily on the Arbites. These are the series of novels that revolve around Shira Calpurnia. I only ever read one but it was amazing!
Next is the Sisterhood. Although Sisters of Battle are arguably the most elite unmodified (genetically I mean) human fighting forces in the Imperium, which has contingents on millions of worlds guarding countless Ecclesiarchy interests, as well as the non-militant orders doing all manner of good works, there are only two full-length stories about them. These are 'Daemonifuge' and 'Faith and Fire', and the latter wasn't really that good.
That's two huge organizations that do a big share of the fighting in the 40k universe and who each get hardly any play. And that's not counting the Adeptus Mechanicus, Navis Nobilite, Administratum, Imperial Navy, Adeptus Astra Telepathica, and the rest of the Ecclesiarchy. Even the Inquisition doesn't have that much literature on them. And that was only the Imperium! With that much background to draw from I can't believe that only space marines get play.

On another rant, space marine stories aren't very interesting anyway. Here's a typical marine story:

"I am a a space marine! I am the Emperor's finest! Watch me calmly and easily beat down enemies that would stomp my ass in a game! I don't need a personality or an interesting character, for I am a space marine! My penis is the size of Cincinnatti!"

They can do better than that.

·
Has a monkey!
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, some of us try to write something different... maybe you should check out the thread hotspike set up?

Besides, Space Marines are GW's bread and butter. Like it or not. So, naturally, a writing competition might be held once in a while that features them.

You want to talk about a huge organization getting attention in a writing comp? The last 40k writing comp BL did was for Imperial Guard.

Please, do tell me that isn't a spotlight on the little guy (who happens to have trillions of buddies).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.