Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to think of how to paint my Bloodletters black with red scales. I have obvisously started with a black undercoat but from here I am lost.

I want to "shade" it a bit more than it is but I want to keep the black skin. The only thing that I can think of is to use a mixture of Choas Black and Fortress Grey and slowly pull it out.

Does anyone have any other ideas that might be better?

·
Lord Admiral
2,608 Posts
I am trying to think of how to paint my Bloodletters black with red scales. I have obvisously started with a black undercoat but from here I am lost.

I want to "shade" it a bit more than it is but I want to keep the black skin. The only thing that I can think of is to use a mixture of Choas Black and Fortress Grey and slowly pull it out.

Does anyone have any other ideas that might be better?
You could go deep blue and then shade with black wash?

Or else as you have said, black, codex grey + black, codex grey. Another alternative is to use hawk turquoise instead of codex grey, which will ceomplement the rd scales quite nicely

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
How about highlighting the Black up with Red? Keep it dark and it should look like their made of Black/Red obsidian or Hot coals.

The way i highlight my 'Glossy' black is;
Chaos Black/Regal Blue 50/50
Chaos Black/Regal blue 25/75
Add to that mix Shadow Grey 50/50
Mix/Shadow Grey 25/75
For a final harsh highlight 50/50mix of Shaow and white.

Or...

If you just want a Grey Black use;
Adaptus Battle Grey/Chaos Black
Adaptus Battle Grey
Codex

·
Registered
193 Posts
Go for a red highlight on the black as Lord Borak mentioned.
There is an example on pg60 of the 40k daemon book and pg70 of the fantasy daemon book. These look great and i was trying to paint some of these for a paint comp about 2 weeks ago, but failed and went with the red.

I have a friend who used a grey and it really does't look nice, but that's just my own opinion.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the ideas, defintely helpful.

There is an example on pg60 of the 40k daemon book and pg70 of the fantasy daemon book.
I never really thought of looking in the book, thinking that it was beyond my skill level, but hey you got to start somewhere...right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.