Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, these are the models that comprised my 400pts Black Dragon Space Marine army that I took to the 40k doubles tournament about a month back (alongside my friends Ulthwe Eldar).

The Assault Squad has those big claws due to a mutation in the chapters gene-seed, which makes thier ossmodula organ malfunction so they grow huge bony extrusions from thier arms.

I am aware that they models are not fantastic, indeed I do not believe that they are up to my current painting level, they were finished in a rush on the morning before the tournament. However, I'm still quite proud of them.

I am about to start work on a slightly different tangent for the amry, and will be basically starting again when I have a bit more money, so I just wanted to get peoples opinions on the painting. Comments and criticism readily accepted.

Tactical Squad

Tactical Squad Sergeant

Rhino

Objective Marker
Inspired by the intro to Dawn of War, which is nice.

Assault Squad
The claws come mainly from plastic hormagaunts, but I believe there is one with a pair of old metal hormagaunt claws in there...

Assault Marine
Slight repositioning of the legs because I ran out of assault marine legs... More fool me.

Veteran Sergeant
I'm quite proud of the freehand eagle on the powerfist, because it was the first bit of small-scale freehand I did.

Looking forward to your opinions guys...

-t.

·
The Biker Marine
1,618 Posts
Hmmm. I like them. The Tyranid pieces are quite interesting. Maybe several more colorful accents on the backpack or armor (control lights or wiring/pipes), not too much though! THe objective marker is great, but can you show the other side of it? Is that Marine on the groud, or slashed in half?

·
Registered
655 Posts
The highlighting is nice, it's hard to tell if it's painted on or if it's simply a light being bounced off of the black. (Honestly, I'm not sure if it was a painted highlight or just a light source in the photos. :)) It's a bit hard to pick up some of the detail with all the black though.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Looks really good man, I want to see more. Painting black marines and trying to keep it interesting is hard, as I like black legion and ravenguard.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I think they are to dark over all, the details blend together. You shod really need some other colors then just the black, silver and white, A dark greed or dark red shod have been a good attachment to those guys IMO.

The painting have a good table top standard, and they are clean as well.

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys, thanks for responding.

The highlights are actually there, but they are just single thin lines of codex grey, so not particulaly noticable. I've been practicing on some spare models and have worked out a more thorough way to get some highlights on them, which will be used on my next set of models.

I didn't want to use too many colours on the marines, so they are very dark. However, I am planning on using quite a lot more purity seals and some scripture written directly onto the armour in future, to break up the darkness somewhat. I hadn't really thought about adding in some dark reds or greens, and I'm not sure that it will look terribly good. If I get the armour highlighted well, then contrasting colours (whites, bones, etc) would look much better than reds and greens IMO.

The metals and stone colours will also get alot more attention in my next version of the army, because they are mostly just drybrushed on those models.

The objective marker is a whole guy lying on the ground, again with some simple leg repositioning. The banner is removable, and I have several different tops for it.

Thanks again, keep it up :)

-t.

·
Son of Dorn
949 Posts
They look very sharp and clean, the exact way I picture the Black Dragons looking. 8 out of 10. I like the use of limited colors.

·
Registered
196 Posts
They look good, but i would really like to see the pics of your drop pod.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's a nice, solid, clean table-standard job. The army looks good and they'd look good together - and it's obvious they're not just a bunch of spray-painted blokes.

I'd like to see a touch more colour, perhaps edging on the shoudler pads? The White is excellent - a clean, smooth and pristine job. Unless there's a codex marking reason (and there may be, I confess to not knowing the markings of the Dragons) I'd be inclined to give all the lads white edges to the pads and perhaps red for the Sarge?

Anyway, good work keep it up

·
heretical thoughts?
948 Posts
They look a lot better than table-top standard to me... imo some people have waaay to high table-top standards... at the least its very high-end table-top, though I argee you should add more purity sels and writings. Maybe some weathering like chipped paint and dust, especially on the tank. with your skill it could look less messy, more real. Also, might want to make the highlights a little brighter on some things like the jump packs.

How did you make the shoulder pad on that sergent anyways? Looks very nice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
ShadowZora13 said:
They look a lot better than table-top standard to me... imo some people have waaay to high table-top standards... at the least its very high-end table-top...
Ha! Very true. Ok, maybe I should have said 'table-top standard that I aspire to (but often miss)'

They're very good.:yes:

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whomsoever asked for pix of the drop pod, there are some WIP shots in my gallery, but I don't know how soon it'll get painted... :sleep:

I'm currently playing with lots of different ways of highlighting black, because I know that for this army it is something that I will have to do very well if I am to get them to the standard I want to. This includes experimenting with adding some battle damage.

The sergeant (I assume you mean the tactical sergeant?) gets his shoulder pad from the techmarine driver/gunner you get with vehicles. Just incase you didn't mean him, the assault squad sergeant gets his shoulder pad from the space marine commander box set.

White shoulder pads indicates sergeant status, white helmet indicates veteran status, although to some extent these are up to the individual sergeant (the chapter is fairly non-codex). I'm also trying to decide what kind of squad markings to use, because the right shoulder pads always seem very empty.

Thanks alot for your comments guys.

:)

-t.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I was asking about the drop pods, and yes i have seen the wip shots and think there amazing, i want to see finish drop pods paint and all. But you have got to weather them because they do go pretty fast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts