Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys feel about the new Black Knights? Are they a unit that is often taken with Vampire Counts armies? (I'm new so I wouldn't know) with their insubstantial steeds, S4/T4 and wight blades they seem very good to me. I'm tempted to convert a unit of 10 from empire or bretonnian knights.

What do you think of them?

·
Registered
79 Posts
yeah my army lacks a fast punch that isn't in the form of fanatic popping dogs. i was thinking what to convert them from but doing it with bret or emp knights is too much work since the armor is too nice and even with just a skeleton head swap its not that cool looking... so i am going to pick up a unit of 5 or 6 and see how they do. take the banner of double unit str on 6 and bam your unit str 24!

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
I was afraid of them initially, having played against them now a few times, I am unimpressed. Perhaps people just need to get more practice with using them and how they work in conjunction with the rest of the army. Twice I've been able to hit them in the flank with my own fast cav and just slowly disintegrate the unit with combat res.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Black Knights are great for their points imo...

There are three nasty rank and file units at VCs disposal... balck knights, grave guard and blood knights.

When you consider the points for a blood knight, black knights win imo. not to mention the etheral steeds meaning that you can move quickly and through heavy terrain withough penalty.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah I agree with Malkieth on the black knights, they're relatively cheap heavy cavalry that can move freely through difficult terrain and pack a bit of a punch.

I think your opponent might have been making some mistakes Affe. In a situation like that a unit of 5 dire wolves can easily be used to misdirect any chargers and protect the flanks of the knights. Or alternatively if the fast cav hit the knights flank a unit of wolves could have hit the fast cav in their flank (which would almost guarantee combat res win to the outnumbering undead). Anyway with a small unit of cheap wolves the black knights shouldn't end up in a situation like that.

I reckon knights are worth taking, though they're not something to base an army around. I normally take them as a unit of 5 with command and treat them as a disposable unit. By disposable I don't mean that I would throw them in to get slaughtered, but rather use them as a unit to hit flanks, soak up small arms fire (2+ save) and provide a threat that your opponent needs to deal with. Basically they present your opponent with a unit that isn't worth that many points but is still a serious threat that should not be ignored.

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
How do you guys feel about the new Black Knights? Are they a unit that is often taken with Vampire Counts armies? (I'm new so I wouldn't know) with their insubstantial steeds, S4/T4 and wight blades they seem very good to me. I'm tempted to convert a unit of 10 from empire or bretonnian knights.

What do you think of them?
I haven't seen a new list army without them. They are a bargain for what they do.

The funniest rendition I've seen is 10 of them with the banner of undead legion (twice the unit strength)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts